40+Club-Making it Work

Options

Replies

• tron3002
    tron3002 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Can someone tell me how to get my weight loss ticker posted when I post? I can usually figure out things like that but not this time... Thanks all!

First after you make you ticker copy the code then click onto My Home tab. Then right below that will be the Settings tab, click onto that. Once its loaded click onto Change Forum Signature. Paste the ticker code into your forum signature and save it. It will automatically post whenever you make a comment. :o)
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    What is so neat about the ticker is that it will change automatically when you lose any weight.

Has anyone had trouble today with the exercise calories burned not working? I just added my exercise and went to my home page and it didn't change. I did it again, thinking that maybe I didn't add it, but I had.
  • tron3002
    Options
    Texssippian... Wow!!! You definitely have a lot of stressful things happening don't you. I am so sorry to hear that. Hopefully that will be your fill of stress for the year. At least that kind of stress... Not fun...:frown:

Hoosier... Have a great time with all the wedding stuff. I know that its hard with your diet but heck, they only get married once right... :smile:

cardigirl... You are doing great!!! Keep up all the hard work. Heck, I think I need to look into a trainer. Someone to really kick my butt. :laugh:
  • annaliza
    annaliza Posts: 809
    Options
    Texas, wow, I hope things go well with your brother in law....my thoughts and prayers are with him.

Swiss, I didnt have any problems with mine, but this is the first time that I've logged in today.

Hoosier, I think I would go nuts without my MFP!!!

Yesterday was my little girls 3 year old birthday party. She had a blast and was a very happy little girl. I did indulge in a piece of chocolate cake (mmnnn) but I still stayed within my calories.

Today is a different story, though. It's 10pm and I still have 929 calories to eat :noway: I guess I didn't realize how many calories an hour of weedeating burned, plus a 3 mile run. I chalk it up to poor management of my calorie intake. Oh well, I'll do better next time. I'm going to try to snack on some unsalted peanuts here in a little bit.

Hope everyone has a great evening!!!
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    Good Monday Morning!

I hope you all had a nice relaxing weekend!

Tex, my thoughts are with you...best wishes that eveything works out.

Annaliza, you are incredible! If there is Chocolate cake around, I'm going to eat it! I need to keep my home clear of such landmines.

I have a wedding to attend on Saturday. I know that I won't have the willpower to resist eating and drinking. Please give me a pep talk this week!!!

Alf, how was the Big Apple? I hope you and your sister had a wonderful time. I know the weather wasn't always great (we get the same weather a few hours before NYC). It's a vibrant city in any weather.

We hosted a birthday party for a friend of the family yesterday. I can never stop indulging myself when there is food and drink in the house. Starting today i am (again) starting to eat a strictly clean diet. I set another goal for 4 weeks from now. We are going to Virginia to visit friends, and I want to be in better shape by then. Therefore I am NOT having any wine or pretzels during the week. I am upping my protein, lowering my carbs and eating eonugh "good" cals. Boy, that sounds simple enough!! :laugh: Let's see if I have the willpower!

PS- I will really take a hard look at myself in 10 days...double-nickles day...the big 55!!
  • cardigirl
    cardigirl Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    We'll give you encouragement, singfree! Just think how poorly you'd be feeling if you weren't even trying to be healthier! Just plan for the wedding, either do extra exercise to give yourself some more calories to eat, or allow yourself one treat and that way you won't feel deprived. You can do it!

And congrats on the upcoming birthday milestone! You look so much younger than that in your pictures!
  • singfree
    Options
    Thanks, Cardigirl! I needed that boost! I really don't feel like a 55 year old...actually, I KNOW that I am in better shape than most guys half my age. I'm a Grandfather in name only!!!
  • annaliza
    annaliza Posts: 809
    Options
    You go go go Singfree!!! And I agree with Cardigirl....I would have NEVER guessed that you are 55. I always plan for treats because I love them so much so I make sure I have the calories for it. Ive also had days there where I overindulged so much, I couldnt even begin to log it :blushing: (darn that chinese food!)

Yesterday I watched a video on youtube that I found facinating. Here's the link to it if you are interested: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gY9LLMTCjwg&feature=related

It really opened my eyes on crash diets. I couldn't imagine doing that to myself any more however I have been there before (going days with only eating 700 cals or so).

The weedeating yesterday did a lot for my arms. They are really, really sore today lol

Hope everyone has a great day!!
  • singfree
    Options
    :blushing: :blushing: :blushing: It's very nice of all you lovely ladies to think that I don't look like an old geezer!!! It makes me want to work out and eat right all the more.
  • StiringWendel
    StiringWendel Posts: 3,816 Member
    Options
    singfree, I can only hope to have half as much energy and determination as you when I am 55. You really are an inspiration! That being said, I hope you plan on a little splurge for yourself on your birthday....be that splurge a glass of wine, a wonderful bike ride or simply spending some time with your wife and family. I just hope you do something special....because I think you deserve it. :flowerforyou:

Had a pretty busy weekend, but got my workouts in and ate relatively clean. I had a little too much wine last night, but it tasted so good I just couldn't help myself. :blushing: But I woke up with tons of energy this morning and ready to go for the week, so it obviously couldn't have been TOO much wine. :tongue:

Texssippian, you have so much going on right now. Take care of yourself...please!

I don't know if anybody here is interested in books on the food industry or not. I've been reading/listening to quite a few of them this year, and it has really helped me make some different decisions about what I'm eating. Anyhow, I just finished listening to a wonderful audiobook by Barbara Kingsolver (she is one of my favorite novelists) called 'Animal, Vegetable, Miracle' which is a non-fiction account of how her family worked at eating only locally grown (and, in many cases, self-grown) food for a year. This isn't anything I aspire to do (at least not while I'm living in military housing....I don't think the Air Force would look kindly at my raising chickens!), but I loved how she mixed valuable information about what is going on in the food industry at large with her own personal stories, many of which included warm touches of humor. I thoroughly enjoyed listening to the book, and it made me want to run out, buy my own bread machine (which I plan on doing in the near future....any recommendations?) and start making more of my own food. Anyhow, just thought I'd recommend it in case anybody is interested in learning more about the food industry but wants a more entertaining read (or listen, as was my case) than the standard non-fiction account.

I'll be doing an hour of chest/back strength training today. I'm starting my 4th week out of 8 for my last cycle of STS. I'm going to miss it when it is over having done it for nearly six months. But I have P90X to look forward to. And, of course, I'm toying with doing the yet unreleased 'Insanity' from Beachbody as well. I must be nuts to be considering it....but it looks fun. I'll wait to see what the reviews look like when it gets released before I make that call.

Hope everybody has a great day. :drinker:
  • singfree
    Options
    Thanks, Stiring..we don't do anything lavish for birthdays. A nice restaurant and maybe a "nightcap" :blushing: See- I'm not too old for even "those" thoughts! I am really interested in the "Insanity" series from BB. It looks like its made for me.
  • duffyzmom
    duffyzmom Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Happy Monday All! Glad to see that I'm not the only one that enjoys a little fun. After an all nighter for Relay for Life - I totally took it easy yesterday and ended with a big plate of pasta and a wonderful glass of Tempranilla. I think the goal for all of us is to not forgo all we love but work those splurges into a plan of general moderation.

Tex: Hoping all is well or at least improving.

Sing: Happy Early Birthday - :flowerforyou: - Just in case the last minute trip preparations keep me offline too much next week.
  • Texssippian
    Texssippian Posts: 235
    Options
    Let's see if I got my ticker to post.

Thanks for the kind words everyone. I think my brother-in-law is getting out of the hospital today. The family has had lots of practice rallying around those who need help, so we will get through this too. The daughter and car with new tires are back in Austin and I have some very clean baseboards...

I like the eating locally idea. I forgot how great lemon balm is. We have lots of it in the backyard. I am thinking about cooking chicken breast with lemon balm tonight for dinner with steamed vegetables. I cooked squash and eggplant from the backyard on the George Forman grill on Saturday night. I marinated the veggies in some light italian dressing before cooking. They were very good.

Thanks again for all the support. I am down 15.5 pounds since joining MFP! Clothes are starting to hang on me and I can wear stuff I could not wear before. Yea!

Happy Monday everyone!
  • Texssippian
    Options
    OK. Why is the ticker not showing? Guess I need real remedial help...
  • Texssippian
    Options
    now it is showing...
  • cardigirl
    cardigirl Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Let's see if I got my ticker to post.

Thanks for the kind words everyone. I think my brother-in-law is getting out of the hospital today. The family has had lots of practice rallying around those who need help, so we will get through this too. The daughter and car with new tires are back in Austin and I have some very clean baseboards...

I like the eating locally idea. I forgot how great lemon balm is. We have lots of it in the backyard. I am thinking about cooking chicken breast with lemon balm tonight for dinner with steamed vegetables. I cooked squash and eggplant from the backyard on the George Forman grill on Saturday night. I marinated the veggies in some light italian dressing before cooking. They were very good.

Thanks again for all the support. I am down 15.5 pounds since joining MFP! Clothes are starting to hang on me and I can wear stuff I could not wear before. Yea!

Happy Monday everyone!

Hooray!!!! That's awesome progress, congrats!
  • tron3002
    Options
    Sing... I agree, you look terrific. Its amazing how in shape you are. I know I cant keep up with you that's for sure.... You'll probably be like Jack Lalane who is what 90ish now and still going strong... :wink:

Got to get the family off and head off for Yosemite. Hoping this time around this hike will be a tad bit easier, but I doubt it....
  • singfree
    Options
    Thanks, Tron...have a great time at Yosemite!!
  • mkwood10
    mkwood10 Posts: 428
    Options
    Tron, it's not just you....... the site just did the same thing to me, even after I signed out and signed back in. The tickers are showing now, so i guess it was just a hiccup in the coding??

Hoping to get in a good workout at Curves tonight - I know my resistance will be increased, as I had an AWESOME 477 calories burned in 30 minutes workout on Friday:blushing: :blushing: :bigsmile: Yeah for me - I IFINALLY FEEL GOOD AGAIN!!!!:laugh:
  • StiringWendel
    StiringWendel Posts: 3,816 Member
    Options
    Congratulations both Texssippian and mkwood on your incredible results!! :drinker: Everybody is doing so well.

tron, I'm anxious to hear about your trip to Yosemite. Please tell us what hike you did this time. I love hearing your adventures and since I hope to go back some day, I'm always up for some good ideas on how to spend a day in that beautiful place.

Okay, so I do believe I'm an idiot. Now that flies in the face of singfree's thread about the power of a positive attitude, so perhaps I should say I'm positively an idiot. Or maybe I'm a positive idiot. Either one works. :tongue:

As you all are aware, I'm struggling with losing weight on my 'maintenance'. What I had been doing to calculate my maintenance calories was take my maintenance calories here at MFP and add my exercise calories per my HRM to that to determine my maintenance calories WITH exercise...and I estimated my maintenance calories at about 1700 a day. Well, silly me got to thinking over the weekend that it is possible that my HRM may not be calculating my calories exactly correctly. I have problems with it because I'm too small for the strap :blushing: so some days it doesn't read my heart rate at all.

So I've just spent my lunch hour searching the internet for sources that incorporate exercise into the daily activity (as opposed to how I perceive MFP to do it, which is calculate daily activities separate from exercise since it counts exercise calories seperately). I've just searched about 8 sites that take exercise into the activity equation as opposed to counting it separately....and they all say I need between 2000 and 2200 calories a day to maintain my weight. And that makes a whole lot of sense to me given the amount I've been losing on 'maintenance'.

For whatever reason, I feel like I've been given a green light to actually raise my calories without concern about gaining weight. Yay! Now I just need to figure out how to get 300-400 healthy calories into my diet. I don't think I'll have much of a problem. :bigsmile:

So hopefully there is a lesson in this somewhere for anybody else who may need it. I suppose that lesson would be 'don't be as obsessed as StiringWendel about your calories when you go to maintenance!' :tongue: But, seriously, if anybody else is having problems coming up with a good maintenance plan (or does in the future), I suggest doing as much research as you can using various sources to come up with what works for your body. What I was doing wasn't working. Hopefully, in a few weeks when I hit that 2000-2200 range (I plan on increasing calories still by 100-150 a week to see how my body responds to each level), I'll be right where I need to be. Honestly, after five months of eating less than 1700 calories a day, I will probably feel like a glutton. But I aim to enjoy it too! :drinker: