St Patrick's Day and BEER

Options
123457»

Replies

• wedjul05
    wedjul05 Posts: 472
    Options
    Having the traditional corned beef and cabbage dinner, REAL traditional Irish soda bread, a beer and maybe a nice Irish whiskey if my hubby picks some up for us. :) Working them all into my budget, so it's all a matter of portion. :drinker:

Hate to burst your bubble, but corned beef is not traditional here in Ireland at all!!! It's boiled ham and cabbage with spuds.

Corned beef is a distinctly Irish American tradition, having to do with the lower cost of beef in the 19th century and the fact that boiled beef was already a New England tradition. So, it may not be traditional there, but it's still traditional.

Ahhahha I get ye! Sorry. The only memory I have of corned beef is my mam buying a few slices on a saturday and it tasting yuck! Much prefer boiled ham/mash/cabbage although I don't have it very often at all.
  • thetiwi1890
    thetiwi1890 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Having the traditional corned beef and cabbage dinner, REAL traditional Irish soda bread, a beer and maybe a nice Irish whiskey if my hubby picks some up for us. :) Working them all into my budget, so it's all a matter of portion. :drinker:

Hate to burst your bubble, but corned beef is not traditional here in Ireland at all!!! It's boiled ham and cabbage with spuds.

Corned beef is a distinctly Irish American tradition, having to do with the lower cost of beef in the 19th century and the fact that boiled beef was already a New England tradition. So, it may not be traditional there, but it's still traditional.

^^ Agreed. It's very traditional! And I'm Irish - eat corned beef, drink Guinness and be merry everyone :drinker:
  • thetiwi1890
    thetiwi1890 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I have to admit (and sorry if this offends anyone), that I do find it a wee bit odd that you guys over the US make such a big deal out of St Patrick's Day......when most of you aren't *actually* Irish and even those with Irish ancestry would probably have to go back several generations before they found someone who was born in Ireland.

I consider myself British, but in fact my Mother and that entire side of her family are Irish and we still own land in Ireland. I would never claim to be Irish though, because I wasn't born there.

Like I said...sorry if it offends, but I've always wondered why the US make such a big hoo-ha out of it.

The St.Patrick's Parade was first marched in NYC in 1762! It is a huge part of the history of this city and the whole metropolitan area goes all out for it. Up to 250,000 people march in the parade and estimates of 2 million people line the streets to watch it. So it is not so much a pride in yourself as being born in Ireland but a celebration of the Irish people and what they contribute to America.

Plus who does not like to drink and get rowdy....

^^ Love this!
    I'm Irish and I love that it's celebrated in so many places, whether someone is "actually" Irish or not! It's a great day to drink and eat yummy stuff and a very important day to many people worldwide. I'm embarrassed that Irish people in Ireland don't take it as seriously as it's taken in many other places. I celebrated it in NYC a few years ago and was so humbled by the whole thing.
    And like it was said above, who doesn't like to drink and get rowdy?!
    :drinker:
  • ski0721
    ski0721 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    What's YOUR pick?

I will be having a FEW Black and Blues (half Guiness, half Blue Moon). Been working really hard this week and trying to save up some cals for the weekend. :drinker:
  • amandacochran15
    Options
    I plan to INDULDGE! This is my first time ever celebrating St. Patrick's Day and a friends 30th birthday in one night! Complete with a baby sitter ALL night, a party bus, and a DD :) Also getting tattoos in the afternoon, a full day of splurging :)
  • Kerri_is_so_very
    Kerri_is_so_very Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    OMG..EPIC Fail yesterday!!! No rainbows, no pots of gold and not one drunken Irish man! LOL ok, back to it today. I think we'll hit the bike path :)