Fashion show at the gym??????

Options

Replies

• momonwilson
    Options
    Do not get caught up in the glam/socail aspects of going to the gym. I am a guy and I look like crap most mornings and smell HORRIBLE by the time I am done with cardio focus on why you are there and nothing else..
  • auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    Some people go to the gym to pick up the opposite sex (or same sex if that floats their boat)

It is what it is.

I go to the gym to work out and get out of there as soon as possible. In the winter I am there more because it's too cold out to run. In the warmer months I go to do my weight lifting routine and do a quick 15 min warm up on an eliptical and I'm outta there as soon as I can.

My hair is poofy and all over the place. I tend to look like crap and the weights make me smell metallic. I don't usually pay attention to other people unless they are doing something to interrupt my routine (such as the guy who has to horde four or five stations and sprawl out).
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    I'm an in between kind of person. I like to look "presentable" this means, clothes with no holes, or at least none visible, lol :blushing: I wear stud pearls and pull my hair up nicely, but I sweat, like A LOT, and I am in my zone, although I LOVE people watching, haha

my life isn't devastated if I look a little funky however, haha. t shirt and some comfy pants or leggings from wally world and we're good to go

I am usually not critical of people at the gym who use it for more social reasons b/c it is by definition a RECREATION CENTER on a college campus and we have a ton of things going on, but generally people come to workout, but some come to watch intramural sports, or play table tennis or mini golf, or get a massage.
  • Italianyc84
    Italianyc84 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    why in the world does it bother you so much? When I go to the gym my hair is in a ponytail, I take my makeup off, but my pants more often than not DO match my shirt. And I have nice workout gear--it keeps my motivated. Not looking for my soulmate (already found her), I just don't like to look like a bum, whether I'm at the gym or not. I just can't fathom caring that much or being that annoyed by what someone else is wearing...?
  • drechiz
    drechiz Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I don't dress up to go work out, but it definitely does not bother me when other people do :happy:
  • zeeeb
    zeeeb Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    i don't make a big effort. my hair is always sweaty and frizzy by the end of the workout. i just wear leggins and a baggy old t-shirt that. i don't have that much spare time on my hands to be that vain. and if i did, i'd probably choose to spend my time better than spending hours getting primped.
  • tig_ol_bitties
    tig_ol_bitties Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym to work out, not to compare my outfit/hair/makeup to someone else.
  • tismyhardbody
    tismyhardbody Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    If you still look pretty afterwards, you're doing it wrong.

That's my most favorite saying for exercising.
    Basically, it's not a fashion show. I don't go to the gym (home gym), but when I did, it was tight shorts, tight cut off tees, and make-up galore. If I wanted to see that, I'd go to the hooker place down the street (JK! There is no hooker place down the street).
    Like jennifer said, you could spend a few extra minutes, without looking like them though.

this is so untrue. you can be beautiful while working out. nothing wrong with feeling confident enough to wear tight shorts or tee's. doesn't make us hookers either.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    When I DID go to the gym I literally rolled out of bed, pulled on the nearest sweat pants and shirt and put my hair up in a ponytail. I looked like CRAP and I didn't give a damn. I mean, I was only going to get red, hot and sweaty anyway so why bother trying to look 'nice'.

Edited to Add: Some people have putting on makeup/getting ready down to such an art that it really doesn't take that much time. It took me a grand total of fifteen minutes to do my hair and put on my makeup for work this morning. Just thought I'd throw that out there. :)
  • 412HeavyLifter
    412HeavyLifter Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Gotta have a nice pair of Nikes/ jordans!
  • jenniferg83
    jenniferg83 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I am a mix. sometimes i throw what ever on to go and other times when i feel blah i just happen to match and try to lift my spirits up. besides the fact that 80% of my work out clothes are black and pink along with my workout shoes (it's hard not to match), i heard that if you wear something you feel confident in to the gym or to where ever you work out, you will feel good and want to be there. I tried it and guess what, it's amazing what a little confidence does. Now as far as doing makeup and just doing the bare minimum, hell no. I'm busting my buns off and working hard. So, i would say if you happen to see someone matching and looking cute but working hard, dont' be too harsh. But if they're just there to play on their cell phone, showing no effort and just whatever, then go for it lol.
  • quietpotato
    quietpotato Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    When I go to the gym I am basically wearing what i slept in the night before. Sweats and a tank. I'm only going to wear the clothes for an hour while I sweat, why put on something clean and pretty?
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
    Options
    bump
  • tequila09
    tequila09 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I wear cute yoga pants and a whatever shirt usually something I got at a thrift store or one of my bfs old shirts and I always have make up on because I go later in the day
  • tig_ol_bitties
    tig_ol_bitties Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    When I go to the gym I am basically wearing what i slept in the night before. Sweats and a tank. I'm only going to wear the clothes for an hour while I sweat, why put on something clean and pretty?

I don't mean to freak you out or anything, but your baby has a massive amount of facial hair.
  • hcoburn37
    hcoburn37 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I was at the gym in shorts and a t-shirt and had a guy tell me that I would have a better workout if I wore shorter shorts and tighter smaller exercise tops .... I stuck to the tshirt and shorts
  • rammsteinsoldier
    rammsteinsoldier Posts: 1,556 Member
    Options
    I go workout right after work so I do have makeup on but I don't worry about fashion and my hair gets shoved into a bun or pony tail. I watch these girls walking around all done up and just smile. Each to his own I guess
  • katyconser
    katyconser Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    i buy cute workout clothes as a motivator to get my butt in the gym!! so yeah, i am one that you may judge. some of us need a little extra motivation to get out there and do it, so it really shouldn't matter to anyone else what i'm wearing. i don't judge you in your t-shirt and sweat pants, so why worry about what i'm wearing? unless my neon colors impact your workout, let's just all worry about ourselves, mmkay?? :bigsmile:

(and i know OP didn't spin it so negatively, but other posters did, so there ya go :tongue:)
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
    If I don't feel cute, I can't focus.

I also shower both before and after my workout. I like to start my workouts with a fresh, cute slate :smile:
  • gettinthere
    gettinthere Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    i buy cute workout clothes as a motivator to get my butt in the gym!! so yeah, i am one that you may judge. some of us need a little extra motivation to get out there and do it, so it really shouldn't matter to anyone else what i'm wearing. i don't judge you in your t-shirt and sweat pants, so why worry about what i'm wearing? unless my neon colors impact your workout, let's just all worry about ourselves, mmkay?? :bigsmile:

(and i know OP didn't spin it so negatively, but other posters did, so there ya go :tongue:)

^this
    I work out on my lunch break and always have makeup on sometimes I even forget to take my earrings off! I sweat and burns calories and lift heavy on lift days, just like everyone else there!