• lind3400
    lind3400 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    BTW being on this website is currently giving you cancer
    Just sayin....
  • lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    If you get a chance watch "Forks over Spoons" on video. I have been on a plant based diet for 14 days and everything is feeling better. My addiction to food and sweets have subsided.

Just posted a thread about this the other day. Forks over Spoons was great...very informative. So was Fat Head. So was Food Inc., etc. They all pretty much say different things and have research to back them up. Docu's are no more accurate or unbiased than these research studies.
  • albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    If something else doens't kill you first, everyone will eventually get cancer.
  • jasonr1442
    jasonr1442 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I like tacos
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    If you get a chance watch "Forks over Spoons" on video. I have been on a plant based diet for 14 days and everything is feeling better. My addiction to food and sweets have subsided.

Excellent!! I really need to watch that video. I've heard really good things about it.
  • KrisyKat
    KrisyKat Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    This short video explains the results of the meat and early mortality Harvard study that was released yesterday:

http://nutritionfacts.org/videos/harvards-meat-and-mortality-studies/

Please note that even meat-eaters who eat their veggies are at greater risk of cancer, heart disease and strokes than herbivores are. And, to me, it's not so much about how you die, but rather how you live. I want to reduce my risk of debilitating illness, and if that means I live to a ripe old age, so much the better. PLANTS RULE!

More bacon for ME!! :bigsmile:
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,723 Member
    Options
    If i'm ever meat free, just kill me.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    I tried being vegetarian, but FAILED. I felt healthier at first, only because I had to eat extra fruits and veggies to compensate for the meat. That CLEANED me out good! Then I started losing too much muscle. Not worth it. I need more than shakes and beans. GIMMEEE that MEAT!!!! Sometimes, vegetarians look sickly to me. Like they're missing something.
  • Stuartm1
    Stuartm1 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    This short video explains the results of the meat and early mortality Harvard study that was released yesterday:

http://nutritionfacts.org/videos/harvards-meat-and-mortality-studies/

Please note that even meat-eaters who eat their veggies are at greater risk of cancer, heart disease and strokes than herbivores are. And, to me, it's not so much about how you die, but rather how you live. I want to reduce my risk of debilitating illness, and if that means I live to a ripe old age, so much the better. PLANTS RULE!

OK so it appears everything we eat and drink increases our chances of catching something or a greater risk of Cancer Personally I would rather carry on eating what I enjoy in moderation, drink what I want in moderation go out and enjoy walks in the fresh air and die happy!!!
  • _VoV
    Options
    Whenever I hear studies about certain foods will shorten your life span (for example, the local news last week did a bit about if you ate red meat once a day every day you'd be cutting your life short by x number of years) I have to chuckle. Because, really, we don't know when we're gonna die. Oh sure there's certain things that will give us diseases that do end lives, but who's to say that life's cut short? In the end, we are all going to die at some point and from something no matter how healthy we are or how much "bad stuff" we don't consume. That's the way life works, we're given a certain amount of time no matter what we do.

My father died at age 60 after a life of heavy meat-eating, and the consequent clogged arteries. His kidneys were dying. He passed out daily due to carotid plaques. And, he finally died of a massive heart attack after 3 years as a cardiac cripple. I was 18 when he died and decided right then and there to go vegetarian. Almost 40 years later, I have no serious health problems which I think is partly due to my early decision to eat plants, not meat. This study affirms what I have personally seen and experienced.
    Both of my grandparents on my father's side are well into their 90's, still living on their own, still able to get around, and both eat plenty of steak and other meat, and tons of refined grains and sugar. I'm sorry your father passed away, but I really don't think the meat was to blame. My mother passed away at the age of 50 due to congestive heart failure, and she very rarely ate red meat, she mostly ate fish, chicken, fruit, vegetables, and occasional pasta.

I am glad your family lived long and well on your father's side. And I'm sorry your mother died so young. Anecdotes are interesting, and sometimes reassuring, but I do believe my father would have done better eating broccoli instead of beef. I will never know that for sure, since the road not taken is impossible to know.
  • freeasharold
    freeasharold Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I tried being vegetarian, but FAILED. I felt healthier at first, only because I had to eat extra fruits and veggies to compensate for the meat. That CLEANED me out good! Then I started losing too much muscle. Not worth it. I need more than shakes and beans. GIMMEEE that MEAT!!!! Sometimes, vegetarians look sickly to me. Like they're missing something.

oh lord. I lasted without commenting until I saw this post. Sickly? really? Sounds like you weren't following a well balanced vegetarian diet.
  • lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options

oh lord. I lasted without commenting until I saw this post. Sickly? really? Sounds like you weren't following a well balanced vegetarian diet.

I'm not even a vegetarian and I thought the same thing. I have seen sickly looking vegetarians but I have also seen plenty of very healthy and beautiful vegetarians.
  • _VoV
    Options

I'm not even a vegetarian and I thought the same thing. I have seen sickly looking vegetarians but I have also seen plenty of very healthy and beautiful vegetarians.

:smile: Thank you. Many of my friends here are healthy and beautiful vegetarians who inspire me with tantalizing food on their diaries.
  • kbeckley11
    kbeckley11 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    The problem with studies like this are
    1. Dietary intake is self-reported. This method is notoriously inaccurate
    2. Despite the methods of statistical analysis it's impossible to definitively show causation

While I don't think studies of this nature should be completely dismissed, I think they're best used as hypothesis generating, rather than a basis on which to make sweeping conclusions.

Since vegetarians are more likely to be "health conscious" than the average person, I would be interested to see studies comparing vegetarian diets to "health conscious" meat eaters.

I agree.
  • maybethistime70
    Options
    I guess I'll just die young and happy with a nice big steak in front of me then...

THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options

What did your diet look like? Were you getting proper nutrition? Did you incorporate strength training and reach your macronutrient and calorie goals? Maybe it wasn't so much a vegetarian diet as much as poor planning.

I'm a vegan and I can bench press a pony.

...not sure if that would be vegan though.
  • Kenzietea2
    Kenzietea2 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    Humans have been living long, healthy lives eating meat for thousands (and maybe even millions) of years.

This study is biased and makes my head spin like the exorcist.

Human beings haven't been around for millions of years...........
  • VeganPanda
    VeganPanda Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I'm stunned by some of these responses.

Such a need for defensiveness. Crazy.
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    O dear God. Save me...
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    I'd rather eat meat then to eat chips, cookies, cakes.... foods with ingredients I can't pronouce or have to look up just to see what the hell they are. Sorry, I will eat my meat!