Meat and early mortality

Options

Replies

• FireTigerSoul
    FireTigerSoul Posts: 274 Member
    Options

What is so clear from that statement? It's the results of the meat study. Does it say 'This short video proves that meat is bad and you should stop eating it'? No. It doesn't.

If meat isn't bad and if she isn't pushing not eating meat (as a rabid veggie), then what IS the point of the article?

I don't know, why don't you ask the researchers who actually conducted the article? How about the meat-eaters who started the conversation and brought up the article yesterday?

You seem to be speaking for the OP so why don't you take a crack at it?

I am perfectly able to speak for myself, but appreciate what FireTigerSoul had to say. Sadly, I won't be contributing anything to this thread for hours because I will be away for several hours. I posted this thread because I thought the study and video were interesting. What people choose to make of this information is up to them to decide.

I'm pretty sure you found it "interesting" because it supports your particular point of view. We get the subtle implications, don't worry :)

Read what you want into anything you wish. You're clearly just arguing for argument's sake now.

And you are doing what? Pot kettle steak?

You're absolutely right, and I'm not being sarcastic at all.. I shouldn't have said anything at all. I got dragged into a heated argument that really struck home for me because I found several posts on here to be offensive.

I regret saying anything because it's wasted my time and energy.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    We need meat. We DONT NEED grains!

Anyway, veg-fed healthy lean meat is good for you. NOT the **** 'meat' USDA gives us. Do the research.... It's obvious the gov is killing us. The reason all this 'meat' is bad for us is because of all the **** they put in it to keep it longer.
    We NEED natural, healthy, veg-fed lean meat!

Eat the GOOD meat and ditch the BAD 'meat' and you will be fine :-)

I am not sure about the statement that the government is killing us (not at least in this context) but do agree with the comment that its what is in it that makes it bad (or at least much worse), however, I am not sure how the comment 'we need meat' is valid - I (among millions of other people) have been a vegetarian for a very long time (over 20 years in my case) and we live perfectly healthy lives.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Nobody implied anything of the sort. We just don't appreciate repeatedly being told that the food we eat - which has been a perfectly viable, healthy and nutritious food option for centuries - is suddenly going to kill us all. The person you quoted is simply making a suggestion to take the discussion elsewhere if you're not liking the opposition to your views.
    Food eaten today has not been an option for centuries. Even if you limit to all natural, grass fed meat, it's still very different than what was available centuries ago due to breeding, chemicals in water and air, etc. This is true for any food, not just meat.
    :indifferent: Okay, I give up.
    16278644.jpg
  • OliveJuice1984
    Options

Do we know this for sure? I once read a study that claimed grass screams when it's cut.....

http://io9.com/5623112/the-smell-of-freshly+cut-grass-is-actually-a-plant-distress-call
    There was also a recent study that found that plants measured for electrical impulses showed far more activity when person A walked into a room and went near than when person B did. Person B having been someone who watered the plants, and person A being the person who was told to walk into the room once a day for a number of days and pull leaves from them.

I find these two things incredibly fascinating! Thanks for sharing!

I personally think that the results are because of the chemicals and hormones that are put in meat these days. Your grandma and grandpa that lived to be 90 something and ate a steak a day, ect didn't have food like this when they were growing up. That’s just my opinion though, not scientific fact.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options

What is so clear from that statement? It's the results of the meat study. Does it say 'This short video proves that meat is bad and you should stop eating it'? No. It doesn't.

If meat isn't bad and if she isn't pushing not eating meat (as a rabid veggie), then what IS the point of the article?

I don't know, why don't you ask the researchers who actually conducted the article? How about the meat-eaters who started the conversation and brought up the article yesterday?

You seem to be speaking for the OP so why don't you take a crack at it?

I am perfectly able to speak for myself, but appreciate what FireTigerSoul had to say. Sadly, I won't be contributing anything to this thread for hours because I will be away for several hours. I posted this thread because I thought the study and video were interesting. What people choose to make of this information is up to them to decide.

I'm pretty sure you found it "interesting" because it supports your particular point of view. We get the subtle implications, don't worry :)

Read what you want into anything you wish. You're clearly just arguing for argument's sake now.

And you are doing what? Pot kettle steak?

You're absolutely right, and I'm not being sarcastic at all.. I shouldn't have said anything at all. I got dragged into a heated argument that really struck home for me because I found several posts on here to be offensive.

I regret saying anything because it's wasted my time and energy.

As a vegatarian, you should have alot of energy?
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Whenever I hear studies about certain foods will shorten your life span (for example, the local news last week did a bit about if you ate red meat once a day every day you'd be cutting your life short by x number of years) I have to chuckle. Because, really, we don't know when we're gonna die. Oh sure there's certain things that will give us diseases that do end lives, but who's to say that life's cut short? In the end, we are all going to die at some point and from something no matter how healthy we are or how much "bad stuff" we don't consume. That's the way life works, we're given a certain amount of time no matter what we do.

My father died at age 60 after a life of heavy meat-eating, and the consequent clogged arteries. His kidneys were dying. He passed out daily due to carotid plaques. And, he finally died of a massive heart attack after 3 years as a cardiac cripple. I was 18 when he died and decided right then and there to go vegetarian. Almost 40 years later, I have no serious health problems which I think is partly due to my early decision to eat plants, not meat. This study affirms what I have personally seen and experienced.
    Both of my grandparents on my father's side are well into their 90's, still living on their own, still able to get around, and both eat plenty of steak and other meat, and tons of refined grains and sugar. I'm sorry your father passed away, but I really don't think the meat was to blame. My mother passed away at the age of 50 due to congestive heart failure, and she very rarely ate red meat, she mostly ate fish, chicken, fruit, vegetables, and occasional pasta.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Someone needs to learn the difference between "multiple regression" and "multivariate regression."

FOR THE WIN!
  • Jeff92se
    Options
    Point being, a balanced diet with exercise is 10x more important than whether you eat red meat or not.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    My grandpa ate meat daily and had a juicy steak at least once a week, and lived to be 92. My great grandma grew up on a farm and ate the cows and pigs they raised and she lived to be 106. I'm not too worried about it.

Now I want a steak...

Btw, if you don't want to eat meat, I'm totally cool with that. I don't really care what other people want to eat, you know, unless it's something like babies. I'm just saying, these studies don't scare me into being a vegetarian.

My grandpa ate meat daily too, for every meal in fact. He lived to be 97. He was also a coal miner, smoked like a freight train and insisted that a stack of sliced white bread was on the table at every meal and I never knew him to eat less than 4 slices with his meal. And he had dessert after dinner every night. He was never overweight. All of that makes me think he was one lucky guy, not that it's proof that any of it would be healthy for me or others.
  • Jeff92se
    Options
    My grandpa ate meat daily and had a juicy steak at least once a week, and lived to be 92. My great grandma grew up on a farm and ate the cows and pigs they raised and she lived to be 106. I'm not too worried about it.

Now I want a steak...

Btw, if you don't want to eat meat, I'm totally cool with that. I don't really care what other people want to eat, you know, unless it's something like babies. I'm just saying, these studies don't scare me into being a vegetarian.

My grandpa ate meat daily too, for every meal in fact. He lived to be 97. He was also a coal miner, smoked like a freight train and insisted that a stack of sliced white bread was on the table at every meal and I never knew him to eat less than 4 slices with his meal. And he had dessert after dinner every night. He was never overweight. All of that makes me think he was one lucky guy, not that it's proof that any of it would be healthy for me or others.

I think he was lucky. But when you mention he was never overweight, I think his ability NOT to get overweight plays a big role. I have read studies that show that excess fat is pretty bad for you. Even losing weight in a not so ideal way was better than holding onto too much bodyfat.
  • lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options

I think he was lucky. But when you mention he was never overweight, I think his ability NOT to get overweight plays a big role. I have read studies that show that excess fat is pretty bad for you. Even losing weight in a not so ideal way was better than holding onto too much bodyfat.

Guessing its not so much an ability to not get overweight. The poster said grandpa was a coal miner...pretty sure that's a hell of a workout.
  • lind3400
    lind3400 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    bring on the cow
  • lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I always find it amusing how when a topic that will obviously turn into a heated debate turns into a heated debate there are always people flipping out that there are 2 sides to an arguement and then talking about how the thread should be locked and what not.

I haven't seen any posts on here that I would consider offensive. A little brash maybe but offensive? No. There's no reason to lock this thread until it gets out of hand. Currently its still just a debate.
  • Jeff92se
    Options

Guessing its not so much an ability to not get overweight. The poster said grandpa was a coal miner...pretty sure that's a hell of a workout.

Just trying to point out that having a high bodyfat % can have some serious health effects. More so than eating red meat.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options

Just trying to point out that having a high bodyfat % can have some serious health effects. More so than eating red meat.

While this is true, a person can get unhealthy and have a high body fat % without ever eating a bite of meat. Trust me, I know some fat vegetarians.
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    sooo.......has anyone here read The Culture of Fear?

The book, by Glassner. Not the Thievery Corp songs. :smile:
  • jaymek92
    jaymek92 Posts: 309 Member
    Options

maybe in his younger days, but somehow i feel like he wasn't mining in his late 90s...
  • mcshaw10
    mcshaw10 Posts: 11
    Options
    Word! And notice how there is no physiological explanation of how meat is "causing" these diseases?
  • alliecat40
    alliecat40 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    If you get a chance watch "Forks over Spoons" on video. I have been on a plant based diet for 14 days and everything is feeling better. My addiction to food and sweets have subsided.
  • murfstroo
    Options
    What kind of Boston-based institution would publish a study on processed red meat during the week of St. Patty's Day? It's almost unAmerican. Bring on the corned beef ..... with a side of coffin.