Meat and early mortality

Options

Replies

• lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    i wouldn't eat my cat or my boyfriend's dogs, so why would i eat a cow or a pig or a fish?

I'd eat your cat and your boyfriend's dogs.

Just sayin'.
  • lukeout007
    Options
    We need meat. We DONT NEED grains!

Anyway, veg-fed healthy lean meat is good for you. NOT the **** 'meat' USDA gives us. Do the research.... It's obvious the gov is killing us. The reason all this 'meat' is bad for us is because of all the **** they put in it to keep it longer.
    We NEED natural, healthy, veg-fed lean meat!

Eat the GOOD meat and ditch the BAD 'meat' and you will be fine :-)

While I don't necessarily agree with the "government wants to kill us all" scenario I do agree that its most likely not the meat itself but the chemicals that are pumped into it.
  • jaymek92
    jaymek92 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    i wouldn't eat my cat or my boyfriend's dogs, so why would i eat a cow or a pig or a fish?

Just sayin'.
    one of my neighbors chopped up his grandmother's dog with a hatchet. come near our animals and you're going to jail.

just sayin'.
  • maf66
    maf66 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Didn't we just do this yesterday? :huh:
  • athensguy
    athensguy Posts: 550
    Options
    My Facebook friends have been going at each other over the report of this study in the L A Times.The study looked at red meat, not all meat. As others have said here, the statistical research model behind this study was flawed, despite the prestigious Harvard School of Public Health connection. At best it shows a correlations between eating red meat and earlier death, but correlation does not imply causality, and also there were issues around a failure to keep other diet and lifestyle factors equal between the two groups. I have enough other reasons to avoid red meat without needing to reply on this study.

http://www.latimes.com/health/la-he-red-meat-20120313,0,565423.story

Maybe if it's so flawed you should call up some of the reviewers.

Correlation does imply causality. Correlation does not prove causality.
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Squidgeypaws007 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Since vegetarians are more likely to be "health conscious" than the average person, I would be interested to see studies comparing vegetarian diets to "health conscious" meat eaters.

Are they?
  • lukeout007
    Options

Just sayin'.
    one of my neighbors chopped up his grandmother's dog with a hatchet. come near our animals and you're going to jail.

just sayin'.

Lmao...I love that someone took that seriously.
  • lambeas
    lambeas Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    RELAX... this is simply sharing of ideas and what works for the OP. The OP did not say " YOU SHOULD NOT EAT MEAT", rather this is what works for her and is passing it along for some foof for thought.

Read the article and appreciate the point of view... you do not have to agree or disagree Just OPEN YOUR MINDS to a different point of view that is backed by a little research!
  • lukeout007
    Options

Yes but the vegetarians couldn't remember...
  • HollywoodDJ
    HollywoodDJ Posts: 296
    Options
    wow.... I love propaganda. I took a stroll around the whole site, it seems just a tiny bit biased. do you have a link to the whole study in print, not just a video taking the parts that further a certain agenda.

I completely agree! This story definitely has an agenda and people really need to be careful! If you are a vegetarian or vegan then that's great but I definitely need my red meats, certainly not ALL the time but once in a while! It helps me with my Meniere's Disease and vertigo. Eating red meats helps me to feel mentally, physically, spiritually & emotionally stronger too! I know my body and I know what it needs.

18447478.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • lukeout007
    Options
    My honest opinion on this subject (thank you lambeas for getting us back on topic) is that for every study saying X there is another saying Y. All backed by research. Take everything with a grain of steak...I mean salt.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I'll die early anyway from cows' families seeking revenge.
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    ...and I could be hit by a bus tomorrow.

Today red meat is bad, tomorrow it will be coffee (no, wait, that's ok now) or chocolate (no, wait, dark chocolate is ok).

Everything in moderation. 16oz of red meat in one sitting? Yeah, not good, but we don't need a study to tell us that.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    if meat didn't taste good, I wouldn't eat it. bummer for the cows.
  • maf66
    maf66 Posts: 211 Member
    Options

Yes but the vegetarians couldn't remember...

:laugh:
  • jonski1968
    jonski1968 Posts: 4,498 Member
    Options
    You can read the full article here..And make your own mind up..

http://www.zoeharcombe.com/2012/03/red-meat-mortality-the-usual-bad-science/
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options

I purposely stayed out of that discussion because I wanted more time to actually read about this study before discussing it. It seemed to me, that the majority of people on yesterday's discussion had already made up their minds without anything more than reading the headlines.

Feel free to ignore this thread if it upsets you.
  • DrG3n3
    DrG3n3 Posts: 467 Member
    Options

Just sayin'.

Lol. I was thinking the same thing. Now, why do we see this type of topic daily? -.-
  • DrG3n3
    DrG3n3 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    My honest opinion on this subject (thank you lambeas for getting us back on topic) is that for every study saying X there is another saying Y. All backed by research. Take everything with a grain of steak...I mean salt.

Yes, but isn't salt bad too :p
  • shanahan_09
    shanahan_09 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I say to each their own. I have no qualms about people not wanting to eat meat. Personally, I'll never stop. I like a good steak especially wild game--elk is delicious, and very lean.
    Know what will cause ones' early mortality...STRESS. So stop stressing about trying to make people see the 'light' about not eating meat. Enjoy your veggies or enjoy your steak. Just enjoy life, period! :wink: