Meat and early mortality

Options

Replies

• _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Millions of years? ...unless you're of the opinion that humans originally lived in an amazing garden and ate lots of wonderful plant foods.

To be fair though, only nutcases believe that.

Well, that certainly is an opinion. Just to be clear: this is a discussion about meat and mortality, not religion.
  • Saruman_w
    Saruman_w Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    We would have died out long ago if there were any grain of truth to that.

Meat is an excellent source of protein and is delicious.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    The-Matrix-_DivX_-346_0001.jpg

Cipher didn't want to be inserted back into the Matrix so he could friggen' eat a carrot

Also how come the Japanese (that eat raw meat/fish) are healthier?
  • lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options

Indeed. I believe I remember reading/hearing statistics that the rate of cancer/heart disease/etc. is much lower in Japan and China despite the fact that they eat meat as well. Japan is mainly fish but Chinese food includes pork, beef, chicken, etc.
  • _VoV
    Options
    Everyone is going to die of something. No offense to vegetarians, if that's what you want to do, go for it.

Steve Jobs was a vegetarian. He died due to cancer... just saying.

Yeah, but in fairness, if you look at what we've learned about Steve since he died, his diet was far from healthy. Steve wasn't a "vegetarian" so much as a "fruitarian." For a several year period, it was even more limited than that, and he ate nothing but apples... While I agree it's possible to be healthy eating nothing animal-derived, it's just as possible to be wildly unhealthy on a vegetarian or vegan diet. Just as it's possible to be very healthy on an omnivorous diet.

Steve Jobs was a 'sample size' of one. I heard that when he was working in his garage, developing the first Apple computer, that he worked unprotected with heavy metals which are widely known to cause cancer. Some say his cancer started when he was in his early 20's, and was slow growing, perhaps due to his vegetarian diet.

Of course, in the case of Steve Jobs, looking retrospectively at his life is never going to give us the answer to why he developed cancer.
  • jleydon
    jleydon Posts: 7
    Options
    Multivariate - definition: "relating to or used to describe a statistical distribution that involves a number of random but often related variables"

Looks like they got it right...
  • elenathegreat
    elenathegreat Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    I guess I'll just die young and happy with a nice big steak in front of me then...

I hope you never get to the point where it needs to be cut up for you in a nursing home. THAT is my big fear. The end-stage of cancer, heart disease, and strokes isn't pretty.

easy, crazy! what do you care if he gets his steak in the nursing home?
  • _VoV
    Options

Cipher didn't want to be inserted back into the Matrix so he could friggen' eat a carrot

Grammar 101: "Some adjectives end in -er and -est. These adjectives compare nouns."
    So, 'healthier' than whom?
  • Jeff92se
    Options

Grammar 101: "Some adjectives end in -er and -est. These adjectives compare nouns."
    So, 'healthier' than who?

you. seriously grammar? you need a steak
  • lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options

Really? We're going to get into grammar now?
  • Kelekat
    Kelekat Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Yes, Red Meat can kill. And a few years ago, peanut butter could give you cancer, as can plastic and microwaves. I do wish the vegetarian would come down off it's high horse, slaughter it, cook it and see that life isn't so bad as an omnivore. You never see that being pushed on anyone, and the OMG DONT EAT MEAT scares are a little rediculous.
    really? nobody pushes eating meat? because my grandmother pushes meat on me all the time, despite the fact that i haven't eaten meat in four years. everybody i meet tries to push fish or seafood on me because they insist it's not meat (it was once alive, now it is dead- i'm not eating it). it seems like you're pushing meat on vegetarians and your horse is just as high as "the vegetarian"'s.

A plant was once alive...just sayin'
    you're right. it was was alive. but plants don't feel pain. they don't have nerves. they don't have feelings.
    i wouldn't eat my cat or my boyfriend's dogs, so why would i eat a cow or a pig or a fish?
    if you want to, that's fine. but it's my personal choice to not eat meat, and people constantly try to tell me i shouldn't. i've never told anybody they need to stop eating meat because it's unhealthy for them, but people always tell me i need to eat meat because it's unhealthy not to.

Do we know this for sure? I once read a study that claimed grass screams when it's cut.....

http://io9.com/5623112/the-smell-of-freshly+cut-grass-is-actually-a-plant-distress-call
  • elenathegreat
    elenathegreat Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    From what I understand of the study, the reserachers recommend less than 1 pound of red meat per person, per week.

If someone told you (general you, not anyone specific) that it was recommended to eat less than 1 pound of *cake* per person, per week. Everyone would say, "Well of course! Cake is bad for you. Eat in moderation. A little goes a long way!"

But as soon as someone says you should limit your meat intake, people get super defensive about it. "You can take my meat over my cold dead body!"

I wonder why that is... possibly because people understand that red meat isn't *really* good for you in the long run?

No I think it's cause we LIKE red meat.
  • jleydon
    jleydon Posts: 7
    Options
    Regarding the original post... The study casts red meat into question... not all meat.
  • Jeff92se
    Options

Really? We're going to get into grammar now?

Just bumping the Cipher pic. It's classic
  • samf36
    samf36 Posts: 369 Member
    Options

There is plenty of evidence to the contrary. Red meat has a lot of nutrients so I find it hard to believe that a steak is bad for anyone, especially if it comes from grass fed cows.

I will fully agree with you that there can be some nutritional value from meat.

However? Who is eating grass fed cows?

Not the people who buy their meat at Walmart. Not the people who stop at the McDonald's drive thru. Maybe not even the people who *think* they are eating grass fed beef.

Unfortunately, I'd say that the majority of people are eating sub-par meat and that is a big part how it affects your health and wellness.

We only eat grass fed beef, free range chickens , free range eggs and un crated pork. Very tasty and healthy.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    My grandpa ate meat daily and had a juicy steak at least once a week, and lived to be 92. My great grandma grew up on a farm and ate the cows and pigs they raised and she lived to be 106. I'm not too worried about it.

Now I want a steak...

Btw, if you don't want to eat meat, I'm totally cool with that. I don't really care what other people want to eat, you know, unless it's something like babies. I'm just saying, these studies don't scare me into being a vegetarian.
  • FireTigerSoul
    FireTigerSoul Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Wow. I can't believe the immaturity on this thread. If you don't trust the article or don't believe it, just let it go. This isn't a scare tactic, it isn't propaganda...it's a research finding. Take it with a grain of salt if you don't believe it.

As a vegetarian, I'm very offended by some of the insensitive comments on here. The OP wasn't trying to push anything. If anything, she was just trying to share her opinion about the article. Notice how she only said 'ME' or 'MY'. She didn't tell anybody they should switch to any kind of diet.

You know, since becoming a vegetarian, I've found omnivores to be more pushy/judgmental than any vegetarian or vegan I've ever met...and I've met some strange ones out there.

Grow up, people.
  • cabaray
    cabaray Posts: 971 Member
    Options

Indeed. I believe I remember reading/hearing statistics that the rate of cancer/heart disease/etc. is much lower in Japan and China despite the fact that they eat meat as well. Japan is mainly fish but Chinese food includes pork, beef, chicken, etc.
    Hey now...don't go throwing facts around this topic...
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    No-Such-Thing-As-A-Vegan.jpg
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I am sort of skeptical. I think meat quality is probably more important. I have quite a few relatives who lived to be upper 90s and even in the 100s. They definitely ate meat. But it generally came from a neighbor or one they raised themselves for their formative years.

So I am going to stick with eating meat that is hormone free/grass fed/whatever.