Meat and early mortality

Options
_VoV
_VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
This short video explains the results of the meat and early mortality Harvard study that was released yesterday:

http://nutritionfacts.org/videos/harvards-meat-and-mortality-studies/

Please note that even meat-eaters who eat their veggies are at greater risk of cancer, heart disease and strokes than herbivores are. And, to me, it's not so much about how you die, but rather how you live. I want to reduce my risk of debilitating illness, and if that means I live to a ripe old age, so much the better. PLANTS RULE!

Replies

• dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    wow.... I love propaganda. I took a stroll around the whole site, it seems just a tiny bit biased. do you have a link to the whole study in print, not just a video taking the parts that further a certain agenda.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    The problem with studies like this are
    1. Dietary intake is self-reported. This method is notoriously inaccurate
    2. Despite the methods of statistical analysis it's impossible to definitively show causation

While I don't think studies of this nature should be completely dismissed, I think they're best used as hypothesis generating, rather than a basis on which to make sweeping conclusions.

Since vegetarians are more likely to be "health conscious" than the average person, I would be interested to see studies comparing vegetarian diets to "health conscious" meat eaters.
  • sundancer1966
    sundancer1966 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    This is very informative, thanks for posting it. :happy:
  • rebecca_d35
    rebecca_d35 Posts: 131
    Options
    wow.... I love propaganda. I took a stroll around the whole site, it seems just a tiny bit biased. do you have a link to the whole study in print, not just a video taking the parts that further a certain agenda.

Here's the study:
    http://archinte.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/full/archinternmed.2011.2287

I'm just passing it on; I'm not a vegetarian, though I think it's probably a good thing to be.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Humans have been living long, healthy lives eating meat for thousands (and maybe even millions) of years.

This study is biased and makes my head spin like the exorcist.
  • bigdawg025
    bigdawg025 Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    I guess I'll just die young and happy with a nice big steak in front of me then...
  • ncahill77
    ncahill77 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    The study also notes that most red meat eaters tend to be people who indulge in copious amounts of fast food, soda's, alcohol and lack of exercising, but I'm sure none of that plays into the findings.
  • dma1988
    dma1988 Posts: 7
    Options
    Millions of years? ...unless you're of the opinion that humans originally lived in an amazing garden and ate lots of wonderful plant foods.
  • _VoV
    Options
    This is a huge study, and I agree that dietary recall for the purposes of study is notoriously unreliable, but it's all we've got.

I worked as a medical librarian for 20 years, but don't have ready access to the full-text of that study online. But, I may go to the medical library at our state university to track it down in hard copy.

Addendum: I noticed someone further down found the full-text online. Thank you!
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options
    The study also notes that most red meat eaters tend to be people who indulge in copious amounts of fast food, soda's, alcohol and lack of exercising, but I'm sure none of that plays into the findings.

Exactly. I am sure the study did not include those individuals that eat grass fed red meat, but rather the CAFO grain fed stuff.
  • JPod279
    JPod279 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    I always look at the stats from studies with some skepticism and look at who is behind the study. The global warming/climate change/whatever they want to call it this week to fit their agenda people will never publish a study saying anything other than what they want it to say. Same for the other side.

Besides, stats can be made to say anything. 40% of all people know that.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options
    Unless you're of the opinion that humans originally lived in an amazing garden and ate lots of wonderful plant foods.

The physical evidence and findings does not point to that though.
  • SilentRenegade
    SilentRenegade Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Plenty of people in my family lived until their late 90s eating meat everyday. Each person will react to foods differently. Personally I cannot have a lot of carbs or my liver gets messed up. I also can't have gluten. Therefore, I refuse to also take meat out of my diet. Meat and veggies are delicious together.

I have no issues with a vegetarian or vegan lifestyle (a very good friend of mine is vegan), I just don't like feeling pushed into other ways of eating through fear tactics.
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    I believe... when studies like this are performed, they are looking for a specific outcome. Only the data pertinent to the specific outcome is collected. Someone could do a study on how beef benefits the body and make the results look like beef is essential to take your next breath.

I didn't read the entire study, but a 12 year study with people filling out a questionnaire every 4 years doesn't sound very controlled/accurate to me.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Someone needs to learn the difference between "multiple regression" and "multivariate regression."
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options

I found the whole study in print rather easily using google. And I just read it. The authors were quite thorough.
  • Bikini27
    Bikini27 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I guess I'll just die young and happy with a nice big steak in front of me then...

At least you'll be pretty in your casket :flowerforyou:
  • marywanoKC
    marywanoKC Posts: 176
    Options

*chuckle* I've never been much of a soda or alcohol drinker, but there's little I like more than a well-prepared steak.
  • Yolanda_85
    Yolanda_85 Posts: 143 Member
    Options

Agreed!! Mmmm...steak! Make mine medium rare please!! Just wanted to add, I don't drink soda at all, very rarely drink alcohol, and Subway is the only fast food place I'd gladly frequent!
  • _VoV
    Options

I hope you never get to the point where it needs to be cut up for you in a nursing home. THAT is my big fear. The end-stage of cancer, heart disease, and strokes isn't pretty.