Meat and early mortality

Options

Replies

• dcgonz
    dcgonz Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Yes, Red Meat can kill. And a few years ago, peanut butter could give you cancer, as can plastic and microwaves. I do wish the vegetarian would come down off it's high horse, slaughter it, cook it and see that life isn't so bad as an omnivore. You never see that being pushed on anyone, and the OMG DONT EAT MEAT scares are a little rediculous.
    really? nobody pushes eating meat? because my grandmother pushes meat on me all the time, despite the fact that i haven't eaten meat in four years. everybody i meet tries to push fish or seafood on me because they insist it's not meat (it was once alive, now it is dead- i'm not eating it). it seems like you're pushing meat on vegetarians and your horse is just as high as "the vegetarian"'s.

A plant was once alive...just sayin'
    you're right. it was was alive. but plants don't feel pain. they don't have nerves. they don't have feelings.
    i wouldn't eat my cat or my boyfriend's dogs, so why would i eat a cow or a pig or a fish?
    if you want to, that's fine. but it's my personal choice to not eat meat, and people constantly try to tell me i shouldn't. i've never told anybody they need to stop eating meat because it's unhealthy for them, but people always tell me i need to eat meat because it's unhealthy not to.

I was just making a statement. I think you need to lighten up is all.
    I too once went for a period of time without eating meat and yes people made comments. SO WHAT! It's not their business and you just need to let it roll off your back.
    There are so many other things in this world to worry about other than what people have to say about your diet.
  • maf66
    maf66 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Didn't we just do this yesterday? :huh:

I purposely stayed out of that discussion yesterday because it looked like 'meat-eaters whistling in the dark.' I personally dislike witnessing group denial--such a child-like defense mechanism. Besides, I wanted more time to actually read about this study before discussing it.

Feel free to ignore this thread if it upsets you.

I'm not upset. Quite the contrary, I'm very highly amused! :laugh:
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    I say to each their own. I have no qualms about people not wanting to eat meat. Personally, I'll never stop. I like a good steak especially wild game--elk is delicious, and very lean.

yup. if not for hunters like myself, wild game would die of starvation, disease, etc., and would also wind up killing and injuring many more people on the roadways.

in fact, I think I'll have some venison fajitas this weekend.
  • jaymek92
    jaymek92 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I too once went for a period of time without eating meat and yes people made comments. SO WHAT! It's not their business and you just need to let it roll off your back.
    There are so many other things in this world to worry about other than what people have to say about your diet.
    if i were to go around telling people to stop eating meat, people would be upset and say i'm pushing vegetarianism on them. if people go around telling me to eat meat, that's okay. perfectly normal. what is wrong with me for making the decision to not eat meat, anyway?!?!
    there is a double standard that exists, and i don't think it should.
    if i've only had people tell me once or twice, fine. but people literally tell me multiple times a week that i need to eat meat. i went out for dinner a couple weeks ago and ordered spaghetti in marinara instead of meat sauce. the waitress looked at me like i was crazy and said "are you allergic to meat?" every time i eat with my grandmother, she tells me i need to eat meat. at holidays, she will literally put ham or turkey on my plate, right on top of the veggies and things i do eat, and then she yells at me for wasting food because i won't eat any of it. i don't worry about what people say about my diet because i know i eat healthy and what i do works for me. i just don't think it's right that somebody posts a study that suggests that eating red meat may shorten your lifespan and people jump all over it but i can be criticized every single day for making a decision that literally affects nobody but myself.
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    if i were to go around telling people to stop eating meat, people would be upset and say i'm pushing vegetarianism on them. if people go around telling me to eat meat, that's okay. perfectly normal. what is wrong with me for making the decision to not eat meat, anyway?!?!
    if i've only had people tell me once or twice, fine. but people literally tell me multiple times a week that i need to eat meat. i went out for dinner a couple weeks ago and ordered spaghetti in marinara instead of meat sauce. the waitress looked at me like i was crazy and said "are you allergic to meat?" every time i eat with my grandmother, she tells me i need to eat meat. at holidays, she will literally put ham or turkey on my plate, right on top of the veggies and things i do eat, and then she yells at me for wasting food because i won't eat any of it. i don't worry about what people say about my diet because i know i eat healthy and what i do works for me. i just don't think it's right that somebody posts a study that suggests that eating red meat may shorten your lifespan and people jump all over it but i can be criticized every single day for making a decision that literally effects nobody but myself.

I recall the same treatment when I was newly vegetarian in my late teens. No one has challenged me in years, so I wonder if it's something people only dare to say to younger vegetarians. I hate age discrimination.
  • dcgonz
    dcgonz Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    [/quote]

Welcome to how the world works!
  • athensguy
    athensguy Posts: 550
    Options
    Humans have been living long, healthy lives eating meat for thousands (and maybe even millions) of years.

This study is biased and makes my head spin like the exorcist.

This study was talking about red meat in particular. Humans probably didn't have access to much red meat prior to domestication of livestock.
  • QuakerMom
    QuakerMom Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Don't get me wrong...I am all for other people being vegan. Leaves more delicious meat for me. :)

:happy:
  • cabaray
    cabaray Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    The topic of the thread is "Meat and early mortality", yet it appears that the study is speaking of red meat (unless I missed something). Kind of misleading...
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    there is a double standard that exists, and i don't think it should.<snip>

That's because Vegetarianism is a very new concept in the history of man. At your age, it's often seen as a misguided attempt to be healthier, when other people who don't share your view want to 'help' you. People don't trust it. Eating meat is normal, abstaining is strange. I'm personally of the belief that vegetarianism is ridiculous (as I could never manage to get the iron, protein, BCAAs etc I need from plant matter), but I keep my view on the topic restricted to discussions such as these. Some people don't.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Humans have been living long, healthy lives eating meat for thousands (and maybe even millions) of years.
    This study is biased and makes my head spin like the exorcist.
    This study was talking about red meat in particular. Humans probably didn't have access to much red meat prior to domestication of livestock.

Very untrue. Wild game, excluding poultry and fish to my knowledge is all red meat.
  • _VoV
    Options
    The topic of the thread is "Meat and early mortality", yet it appears that the study is speaking of red meat (unless I missed something). Kind of misleading...

I'm sorry you found this misleading. I hate when thread titles are cut off, so I kept it short.
  • yankeedownsouth
    yankeedownsouth Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I've already had cancer (although I doubt it was from red meat), and it was pretty awful. However, I'm going to continue to eat red meat because I love it. Simple as that.
  • kateroot
    kateroot Posts: 435
    Options
    Meh. Everything causes cancer, heart disease, and early mortality these days. Living in fear of every little thing that might hurt you down the road is not really living, IMO.
  • _VoV
    Options
    I've already had cancer (although I doubt it was from red meat), and it was pretty awful. However, I'm going to continue to eat red meat because I love it. Simple as that.

You look young to have suffered cancer. I am so sorry you went through that and hope you are cancer-free forever. I am the OP, and I posted this thread for informational purposes. What people choose to do with this information is none of my business. Wishing you the best of health!
  • _VoV
    Options
    Meh. Everything causes cancer, heart disease, and early mortality these days. Living in fear of every little thing that might hurt you down the road is not really living, IMO.

When you are young, perhaps these diseases look to be far off in the distance. But when you are my age (57), and many of your friends start showing up in the obits, these killers become harder to ignore. I know older people like me say something like this far too often, but it's true: the years fly by and before you know it, things that seemed impossible--like seeing an old face in the mirror--are daily occurrences.
  • y353
    y353 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Yeah yeah, society exists because it forces its opinion on each individual.

Anything out of the rules WILL be persecuted one way or another (if somebody's neigbor killed the dog [cause he is crazy]) or if you paint your hair bright green).

The society is right? Not always. Some cut woman's *kitten*, other make the drinking age 21...

BUT doing something different and HOPE to everything be dandi and everybody accept you as the best there is... sandcastles in the sand.

Be what you want, society will always judge you. (But don't do something illegal like eat somebody's dog... Ok, maybe in Vietnan you can eat a friend's dog. Just ask him first)

I believe that the bigger person is that one who think "Ok, they were raised that way, his/her rules never changed. They think that the truth is absolute, let them be happy."

If your momma or grandpa try to sneak meat in your food respect them for raising you, or their father (and their lifestyle) to raise them to bring you to this day. Do not think they're "evil just to be". They were raised that way.

Teenage rebellion is cute until some point.

Ugh. My english skill sucks. Sorry, second/third linguage.
  • y353
    y353 Posts: 50 Member
    Options

What she said!!!

But I add. Everything in excess kills. Water can drown you, just try drink a lake hohoh.
  • SilentRenegade
    SilentRenegade Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    My grandmother is 89 years young, She has had eggs and bacon almost everyday of her life for breakfast and has smoked since she was 16. She has the energy and enthusiasm of a 40 year old.

For every study I read I can always find one that contradicts its theory.

I think we are predisposed to some cancers and illness regardless of how healthy of a life style we live.

My family is very similar. Long lived, meat eating smokers. I'm not saying that's the healthiest way to live, I'm just going by what my family has experienced. The only instance of an early death was my grandfather, who smoked 3.5 packs a day, drank a bottle of Wild Turkey Whiskey a day, and was morbidly obese and did not take care of his diabetes. Other than that, they all lived anywhere from their late 80s to late 90s. My one great uncle lived until he was 99 and smoked so much his fingers were yellow. The man also ate foods that many people would think are horrendous. I think a lot of it has to do with genes. Obviously there are risks involved... but I guess they had the attitude to live their lives the way they wanted to and they'd die of something eventually.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,019 Member
    Options
    Here you go......a different look at the numbers, or should I say, a look that doesn't jump to conclusions so readily.

http://www.zoeharcombe.com/2012/03/red-meat-mortality-the-usual-bad-science/