Vegetarian group. Kick-off WEEK 1

Options
Hello everyone, lets do a quick check in!

Goal weight loss in lbs -

# of Kids (or do you want kids)-

How long have you been a vegetarian or vegan? -

Age-

Anything else you want to share -

Goal weight loss in lbs - FIRST 5 lbs, then to loose at least 10 more!

# of Kids (or do you want kids)- I have 3 kiddos! 8 and 7 year old boys, and a 2 year old girl. Im also a mommy to a "fur baby" our yellow lab!

How long have you been a vegetarian or vegan? - Accually only about a month. I have wanted to for a long time, but only recently became serious about it! Now even my husband and kids are eating vegetarian 75% of the time!

Age- Im 27 years OLD!

Anything else you want to share - I have been married to my high school sweetheart for 9 years, and he is currently in the AirForce and we are living in Okinawa, Japan! =)

Replies

• CourtneyTree
    Options
    Hello everyone, lets do a quick check in!

Goal weight loss in lbs -

# of Kids (or do you want kids)-

How long have you been a vegetarian or vegan? -

Age-

Anything else you want to share -

Goal weight loss in lbs - FIRST 5 lbs, then to loose at least 10 more!

# of Kids (or do you want kids)- I have 3 kiddos! 8 and 7 year old boys, and a 2 year old girl. Im also a mommy to a "fur baby" our yellow lab!

How long have you been a vegetarian or vegan? - Accually only about a month. I have wanted to for a long time, but only recently became serious about it! Now even my husband and kids are eating vegetarian 75% of the time!

Age- Im 27 years OLD!

Anything else you want to share - I have been married to my high school sweetheart for 9 years, and he is currently in the AirForce and we are living in Okinawa, Japan! =)
  • Tofuheart
    Tofuheart Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Goal weight loss in lbs - 47 pounds

# of Kids (or do you want kids)- Zero, Don't want to have children. I do have a furry child named Kamiko. (Blue point siamese kitten)

How long have you been a vegetarian or vegan? - 14 years in June, was vegan for 4 years. I gave it up for camembert cheese. :smile:

Age-33

Anything else you want to share - Looking forward to starting this journey. I feel like I have a long way to go, but I'm ready for it. Good days and bad.
  • Vanessa1969
    Vanessa1969 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Goal weight loss from today - 55lbs.
    No children, have never wanted to have any.
    Lots of pets as I am active in animal rescue.
    In my third year of being vegetarian. I gave all meat up cold turkey the day after watching Earthlings. I've been an Animal Rights Advocate, Animal Rescue Advocate, Environmental Advocate for over half my life.
    I turned 40 back in January of this year.
  • dclarsh
    dclarsh Posts: 364
    Options
    Hi! My name is Diana.

Goal weight loss - total of 14 lbs, only 10 more to go!

One son, he's eight, plus two dogs - one golden retriever mix and one rhodesian ridgeback mix

I've been a vegetarian for a year and a half - gave up meat when I realized it was the cause of most of my stomach issues.

I'll be 30 this summer.

And that's about it I guess.
  • becca1405
    becca1405 Posts: 2
    Options
    Goal weight lost - 20lbs
    Lost 2lbs so far (Only just started last week!)

No kids (Dont intend to have soon)

Ive been vegeterian for four years

Im 19.
  • erkuhns79
    erkuhns79 Posts: 46
    Options
    Hello all (great idea for a group!)

Goal weight loss in lbs - 10 to 12 lbs

# of Kids (or do you want kids)- no kiddies yet...however, it's a short term goal

How long have you been a vegetarian or vegan? - one and a half years

Age- 29 (turning 30 in Sept - eeeeekkkk!)

Anything else you want to share - My now 15 year old niece became a vegetarian when she was 12...I'm so proud of her! She gave me inspiration to become one as well. It was a difficult transition and I'm still fighting with it, but I believe that it is unnecessary to murder innocent animals to please our pallets. And raising farm animals for human consumtion takes a big bite out of the environment.
  • dgweisblatt
    dgweisblatt Posts: 52
    Options
    Goal Weight Loss: 22 lbs
    Kids: 5 Wonderful Kids (Twin Boys age 22, Single Girl age 19, Twin Girls age 15.5)
    Been a Vegetarian for 32 years!
    I've been on MFP for a while and was very active and lost weight, but unfortunately have put some (not all!) back on, so I'm back and seriously tracking myself again. I think that maintenance is the most difficult part of this "adventure", so we'll have to visit that topic when we all get there!
    May be force be with you!!! :happy:
  • blum0133
    blum0133 Posts: 88
    Options
    Goal weight loss in lbs - 5 pounds

# of Kids (or do you want kids)- none...but 2 cats :-)

How long have you been a vegetarian or vegan? - 3.5 years-kind of a psychological thing for me. I think animals are a little too human for me to eat them. I just cant imagine eating anything that was once living anymore.

Age- 21

Anything else you want to share - Its finals for me this week and I havent been doing to well with being healthy :-(
  • naugustyniak
    naugustyniak Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Goal Weight Loss - 41 pounds from today
    2 kids (3 if you count my hubby), 2 dogs, 5 cats, 2 turtles
    I have been a vegetarian since July 2008. I quit eating meat as an experiment to get rid of migraines. My doctor told me to start eliminating food groups and when I stopped meat, no more migraines.
    Age - I will be 48 on the 28th of this month.

I get really irritated with lack of support and lack of choices you get at restaurants. Fast food I can see but sit down restaurants should make an effort.
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Goal weight loss - 60lbs
    0 Kids, 1 rabbit
    Been a vegetarian since January - I rarely ate meat up to then because it was too expensive and didn't keep well. Around January it started making me sick when I ate it, so I stopped. It worked out having a girlfriend who is a vegetarian as well.
    24 years old, 25 in a few days

Good luck everyone!!

Biggest issue I've had so far was keeping my soy intake down to a reasonable level. Still working on learning to make seitan.
  • Kidvicious28
    Kidvicious28 Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    Goal weight loss in lbs - 20 lbs!

# of Kids (or do you want kids)- no kids

How long have you been a vegetarian or vegan? - 1 yr and 3 months

Age- 25

Anything else you want to share - Can't wait to lose weight! Good luck everyone! :smile:
  • CourtneyTree
    Options
    Very cool to meet all of you! Im so glad more of you joined us and now we really have a nice little group going :happy:

How is everyone doing today? I am stressin out. I have been eating really good, well except (there is always a "except" right..lol) over the weekend. It was my daughters 2nd birthday and mothers day, so there was alot of extra calories, no excersize and alot of sugar (I made her (my daughter Sophia) a strawberry cake, filled w/ my homemade vanilla bean whipped cream, and topped w/ chocolate covered strawberries :blushing: She's our princess and she LOVED it, but also , so did my flippin scale! So thinking I would make up for it, I upped my workout yesterday to a run mixed w/ speed walk w/ my hubby for 2 miles, then later on that day I ran 2 miles at the gym. Nothing happeneing...I was accually UP on the scale today :angry: Im WAY to frustrated to even talk about it more....Hope everyone is doing better then I am!
  • Tofuheart
    Options
    Very cool to meet all of you! Im so glad more of you joined us and now we really have a nice little group going :happy:

How is everyone doing today? I am stressin out. I have been eating really good, well except (there is always a "except" right..lol) over the weekend. It was my daughters 2nd birthday and mothers day, so there was alot of extra calories, no excersize and alot of sugar (I made her (my daughter Sophia) a strawberry cake, filled w/ my homemade vanilla bean whipped cream, and topped w/ chocolate covered strawberries :blushing: She's our princess and she LOVED it, but also , so did my flippin scale! So thinking I would make up for it, I upped my workout yesterday to a run mixed w/ speed walk w/ my hubby for 2 miles, then later on that day I ran 2 miles at the gym. Nothing happeneing...I was accually UP on the scale today :angry: Im WAY to frustrated to even talk about it more....Hope everyone is doing better then I am!

Don't fret. It's been a wicked few days for me. Mothers Day yesterday I had some cake with my Mom then before that a Veggie Burger from Elephant and Castle with my Japanese group I run. Today is my Mother's Birthday. I did good with dinner. Spinach salad and some steamed baby carrots with dill. Very tiny piece of cake and a bit of ice cream. I was so hungry from no protein for dinner I had some cheese when I got home. Did a lot of walking today but I'm over on my calories by 300! Drats!

We always have tomorrow to get back to our healthy ways!
  • Tofuheart
    Options
    Goal weight loss from today - 55lbs.
    No children, have never wanted to have any.
    Lots of pets as I am active in animal rescue.
    In my third year of being vegetarian. I gave all meat up cold turkey the day after watching Earthlings. I've been an Animal Rights Advocate, Animal Rescue Advocate, Environmental Advocate for over half my life.
    I turned 40 back in January of this year.

:happy: Awesome in regards to the animal rights stuff! I'm the same way too!
  • CourtneyTree
    Options
    ok, hopefully you all will be able to help me out... Today I put in all my foods and drinks and excersizes, and the silly thing is telling me im " -28 cal's remaning " and that I have earned 372 extra calories from excersize. So did the caluclator add that into the existing food calories or do I subtract that myself? I cant believe I went over today =( Even if it was only was 28 cal's...

Today I went to the gym, I was only able to puch myself to do a mile and 1/2 run. It has been hella (yes I say hella, im from California. lol) humid the last few days, but its just the beggining. This island is about to go full force into tropical weather. 95 degree weather w/ 100% + humidity. NOT fun, but the beautiful beaches and everything else we love about it here, evens it out! =)
    I also got ALL of our bathrooms SPOTLESS. We have 4, and I was doing the Cinderella style moping and sweating my butt off! =) Hopefull that made up for being 1/2 mile short on my run!

What are all you veggie loves eating today? I made a awsome miso crusted tofu mix w/ veggies! Then I had some homemade 15 bean and veggie soup for lunch =) If anyone wants to swap recipes let me know, im always trying out new things!
  • CourtneyTree
    Options
    DANG IT! I feel like I have been working SO hard, and today im freggin UP on the scale. I seriously want to cry. I have been following a good diet and excersizing 3-4 sometimes 5 days a week.
    Yesterday I added another bowl of the bean and veggie soup and 1/4 cup of frozen yogurt. I know, SHAME ON ME...but to be up a lbs? Im SO frustrated. I have 2 1/2 weeks untill I was SUPPOSED to be at my goal, but looks like there is no way I can loose 8 lbs that fast =( I just dident want to go vacation at home and look like a chunky monkey :sad:

I think today im going to try to eat breakfast, which I NEVER EVER do. and have my lunch be veggie sticks with this awsome dressing I found that has 5 calories per serving! Then maybe a green smoothie before I go workout in the afternoon, and I will come up w/ something super healthy for dinner! =) Any dinner ideas? I have a few blocks of tofu in the frid :flowerforyou: ge
  • dclarsh
    dclarsh Posts: 364
    Options
    Don't cry! It's probably not as bad as you think. It's actually impossible for you to have gained a full pound of fat from yesterday, unless of course, you're fibbing and that extra bowl of soup was really a whole pot and the frozen yogurt was the entire container!

Just make sure you drink lots of water tonight... you'll probably pee out that pound in the morning. And yes, eat breakfast! Not eating breakfast is just something I never understood. But then again, breakfast was kind of a form of religion at my house when I was growing up. Even if all you have is a piece of fruit or a cup of yogurt, that's better than nothing.

Oh, and don't cut your food down to veggie sticks and a green smoothie (whatever the heck that is)... you'll only be working against yourself even more. You'll be cranky and you won't have the energy you need to power through a good workout. I know I would be seriously ticked off if all I got to eat all day was veggie sticks and green liquid. I believe there would be a trail of carnage between my desk and the vending machine as I horribly disfigured anyone that tried to get in my way. But that's just me, right? My best advice is to break up your food more throughout the day. You won't feel as hungry, even though you're eating the same amount of food, and it will keep your metabolism humming along all day, which of course, equals more calories being burned.

Keep your chin up, OK? :flowerforyou:
  • Tofuheart
    Options
    I didn't have the greatest day either. A lot of stress and at work they kept on making me try their treats and dessert things for part of my training. I didn't have much choice. I just take a little bite and try to flush it down with lot's of water.
  • CourtneyTree
    Options
    TOFUHEART= What do you do for work?
  • CourtneyTree
    Options
    I ended up doing ok today! For lunch I had 3 small garden burger lettuce wraps, and for dinner I made a tofu and veggie curry w/ brown rice. Its just to bad that I still have 13 calories left and im about to drink them all plus more! (alcohol)