Vegetarian group. Kick-off WEEK 1

Options

Replies

• amicklin
    amicklin Posts: 452
    Options
    Hello everyone, lets do a quick check in!

Goal weight loss in lbs - 10 pounds

# of Kids (or do you want kids)- I have two babies (kittens) but have been trying to get preggo with not much luck yet!

How long have you been a vegetarian or vegan? - I had been a vegetarian for two years, then a vegan for a year. Meat found its way back into my diet, despite my body having issues digesting it and all in all it makes me feel crappy.....

Age- 20

Anything else you want to share - I have been living with my long term boyfriend, who is a meat eater. This made things especially tough ie. cooking two meals, invonvenience on family outings...
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    Anything else you want to share - I have been living with my long term boyfriend, who is a meat eater. This made things especially tough ie. cooking two meals, invonvenience on family outings...

It won't get any easier. I'm married to my high school sweet heart (been togeather total for 9 years) and he's an omnivore...so is our daughter. I just prepare food for me and he cooks meat for them. We all eat the same sides and desserts and stuff...but if they want meat he has to cook it.
  • amicklin
    amicklin Posts: 452
    Options
    That is what I am going to try (if he wants meat he will need to cook it)... He always comes back with its economically smarter to eat meat :grumble: .... well I think me feeling better is worth the extra money! I really though that most vegetarians and vegans lived with otehr vegans/ vegetarians.... glad to know other people are in teh same situation and ahve some words of wisdom to offer:happy:
  • Kidvicious28
    Kidvicious28 Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    oh i hear ya, my entire family eats meat. I'm the only veggie. It sucks bc I have to make my own meal separately...but meh, whatever, right? haha

Maid, yea I'm feeling better. I think it was something I ate.
  • lisalocket24
    Options
    Yeah my husband made comment this evening that his stomach was hurting and i said that it might be the meat that was causing it. He was so angry he said that he geusses he was going to have to find someone else that eats meat. Come on we have been together for 12 years, i think he is jealous of the fact that i am strong enough to resist eating meat. He thinks i am being crazy but i really dont want to eat meat anymore. Everyone says im missing out, but i think they are. It is choice not a have to, a change of life for me. I love it!! I think it makes me more determined to show everyone that i can.....
  • emiliabeth
    emiliabeth Posts: 40
    Options
    That is what I am going to try (if he wants meat he will need to cook it)... He always comes back with its economically smarter to eat meat :grumble: .... well I think me feeling better is worth the extra money! I really though that most vegetarians and vegans lived with otehr vegans/ vegetarians.... glad to know other people are in teh same situation and ahve some words of wisdom to offer:happy:

Economically smarter?? It's cheaper, healthier (generally) better for the environment (MUCH smaller carbon footprint) if you're a veggie!

Veggies unite!!
  • lynniejones
    lynniejones Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    Reading this thread has done me so much good. It has helped me see that I am not alone in my struggles. Thanks!
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    Options
    Reading this thread has done me so much good. It has helped me see that I am not alone in my struggles. Thanks!

No one is ever truly alone in their struggles. All you have to do is ask a group of people if they have ever been in the same place...and most likely you'll receive at least one answer of 'yes'.
  • landry1
    landry1 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Hi i would love to jion this group

I want to lose 20 lbs down 9 to date
    i have one daughter 5
    been vegetarian for 6 years

177963.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Calorie Counter
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    Options
    Hi i would love to jion this group

I want to lose 20 lbs down 9 to date
    i have one daughter 5
    been vegetarian for 6 years

177963.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Calorie Counter

Welcome! It's great to have you with us...always looking for more veg heads like ourselves.
  • YourCatalyst429
    YourCatalyst429 Posts: 96 Member
    Options

Uhm this makes no sense to me. When I was buying meat for us *my boyfriend and I* before we went veg our grocery bill would average at $110 to $120. Now that we have both gone veg *on our way to being vegan* our grocery bill is about $80 to $90. The only thing that has changed about what we buy is that instead of meat we buy more veggies, tofu, and fake meat products. You should compare your grocery bill when you do and don't buy meat cause it seems like maybe your just taking his word for it?:flowerforyou:
  • emiliabeth
    emiliabeth Posts: 40
    Options

Uhm this makes no sense to me. When I was buying meat for us *my boyfriend and I* before we went veg our grocery bill would average at $110 to $120. Now that we have both gone veg *on our way to being vegan* our grocery bill is about $80 to $90. The only thing that has changed about what we buy is that instead of meat we buy more veggies, tofu, and fake meat products. You should compare your grocery bill when you do and don't buy meat cause it seems like maybe your just taking his word for it?:flowerforyou:

I second that! I definitely spend way less money now that I'm a vegetarian, you can argue with numbers...
  • monteig
    monteig Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    It is so bizzare to me how people will get so defensive and combative about another person's choice not to eat meat.

Maybe I am overly-sensitive to the topic, but I always go out of my way not say anything to my friends who opt to eat meat when we are dining together. At my beach house where we share meals, I will even cook meat for the group. We are all grown adults who are perfectly capable of making our own choices! I don't hassle you, don't hassle me! (Well, except for fois grois....I will hassle people who eat that!)

It would be really nice to get that courtesy in return from the dopey meat heads!! :wink:
  • monteig
    monteig Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    This is an interesting article about using vegetarianism as a *diet* diet. As in, a "to lose weight" diet, not a lifestyle diet.

http://www.epicurious.com/articlesguides/healthy/news/diet_vegetarianvegan
  • Kidvicious28
    Options
    Interesting topics today.
    I'm not one to judge meat eaters or veggies or anyone for that matter. If you want to eat something or not eat something, whatever, what does it matter? It's just food.
    I think ppl just complain about it bc they have nothing else to complain about lol. I get it all the time from ppl I work with...."why don't you eat meat...meat this and meat that...oh well you'd feel better if you'd eat meat." That's a bunch of crap. I don't go around busting on ppl. Ppl need to get over themselves and just mind their own business, that's the bottom line.
  • landry1
    landry1 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    hi all,

I found a really good go to recipe for a pita panini

one whole wheat pita cut open
    2 tsps prepared pesto
    1 oz skim milk shredded mozzerella
    three slices of tomato that i de - seeded

i put it on my forman grill and it came out great with a small side salad it was only about 400 calories which means i have enough calories left for a glass of red wine :drinker:

i hope the rest of you have a great dinner:flowerforyou:
  • Kidvicious28
    Options
    Ooo yum! That sounds great! Thanks for sharing! :happy:
  • Hanni
    Hanni Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

can I still join the group?

Here is my info :smile:

Goal weight loss in lbs: 28 lbs (for now, then see what else needs toning up)

# of Kids (or do you want kids): we want kids

How long have you been a vegetarian or vegan? : I did it in stages. I started off eating only chicken and fish for 1 year, then since March this year I dont eat any animal meat at all.

Anything else you want to share -
    I find it very hard to reach my nutritional goals on MFP since I stopped eating chicken and fish too.
    Most of the time I dont even make it to 1200 because most of what I eat is vegetables (and there is only so much cauliflower a girl can eat in a day :laugh: )
    So I would be greateful if we could share some ideas. I am particularly looking for foods high in calories but low in fat, as it seems that if I want to reach at least 1200 calories a day, I have to go over in fat (by adding pesto, olive oil, avocado to my meals)..

:smile:
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

can I still join the group?

Here is my info :smile:

Goal weight loss in lbs: 28 lbs (for now, then see what else needs toning up)

# of Kids (or do you want kids): we want kids

How long have you been a vegetarian or vegan? : I did it in stages. I started off eating only chicken and fish for 1 year, then since March this year I dont eat any animal meat at all.

Anything else you want to share -
    I find it very hard to reach my nutritional goals on MFP since I stopped eating chicken and fish too.
    Most of the time I dont even make it to 1200 because most of what I eat is vegetables (and there is only so much cauliflower a girl can eat in a day :laugh: )
    So I would be greateful if we could share some ideas. I am particularly looking for foods high in calories but low in fat, as it seems that if I want to reach at least 1200 calories a day, I have to go over in fat (by adding pesto, olive oil, avocado to my meals)..

:smile:

Do you eat meat substitues? TVP, soy, whey protein? They are all great at adding cals without adding a whole bunch of fat.
  • Hanni
    Hanni Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    yes I eat the Quorn products range but they are very high in fat which is part of my trouble and why I go over my fat allowance when tryign to reach 1200 calories / day... :ohwell: