Anyone using liquid chlorophyll? Side effects?

Options

Replies

• lessofme43
    lessofme43 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I have not used it for a few years, but I know that when I did I benefitted from it. I took it in the latter part of my last pregnancy and post-partum and it made a huge difference for me (compared to my 2 previous pregnancies). I felt I recovered quicker from my difficult delivery and it improved my milk production and milk quality since I was nursing. It gave me more energy, but it also made me more hungry (downside).
    My feeling now about taking anything supplemental that 'gives more energy' is that perhaps the body is not designed for long-term stimulants that do this to us. Everyone wants a quick fix, more energy, etc. but what are the long-term effects of this? I think if one can get proper nutrition from 'the real thing' then that's the route that should be taken...said the woman who takes a handful of supplements daily :P I have undergone different kinds of testing over the years that has determined that my body does not absorb vitamins & minerals well, so supplements are recommended for me.
    I did not notice any side effects while I was taking liquid chlorophyll other than the constant hunger, but I had heard of others who felt ill when they started it, too.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    I'm taking it as I had read about the many good health benefits it can offer. I am using this brand, here is a link to the website, I don't know if my nausea the other night is related though as I was fine yesterday and this morning.

http://www.swisse.com/products/weight-management-detox/swisse-ultiboost-chlorophyll#!benefits

also be sure to look at the other tabs, FAQs, ingredients etc.

Thoughts?

Snake oil......

As soon as I see a company selling "detox" and "cleanse" products they've lost all credibility with me. I haven't read the "Herbs & Natural Supplements: An Evidence-Based Guide" but would hazard a guess that there aren't a lot of peer reviewed clinical trials quoted in it which is one of the biggest objections traditional medical practitioners have with alternative treatments.

I am aware of at least one paper that suggested that chlorophyll inhibited dioxin absorption and aided dioxin excretion in rats (http://ehp03.niehs.nih.gov/article/fetchArticle.action?articleURI=info:doi/10.1289/ehp.01109289) and another "Low-dose dietary chlorophyll inhibits multi-organ carcinogenesis in the rainbow trout." (http://tools.niehs.nih.gov/portfolio/index.cfm/portfolio/publicationDetail/id/1157423) but seeing as I'm neither a rat nor a rainbow trout......

Like I said earlier.....spinach, cheaper and full of other nutrients.

Snake oil at least contains omega 3s.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I'm green with envy
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options

People who quote studies on rats, and make "snake oil' and 'rubbish' comments.... C'mon, please don't comment unless you've tried it. No one cares about your 'references' to negate the benefits - experience is what matters. Like those that write book reviews on Amazon and have never even read the book - you read the comments and make your judgements without any real-life experience to what you are saying. This person posted a question to receive real guidance from real experience, and your comments are not only NOT helpful, but extremely annoying..

I highly recommend chlorophyll to anyone who is interested in improving their hydration, cell function, well-being, and overall health.Anything that comes from a plant - you can't go wrong. If you want to buy into the hype from the scientific studies produced by the billion dollar pharmaceutical companies - good luck to you.

Your "experience" is just an anecdote. Unless a randomized, double-blind, placebo controlled study shows a difference in the two groups, your "experience" could just be placebo effect. Many people have the experience that taking chlorophyll does nothing--who is right?

And as for your "anything that comes from a plant, you can't go wrong," have you ever heard of poison mushrooms? hemlock? poison ivy? ricin? All poison, and all from plants. Just because something is "natural" doesn't mean that it's healthy or safe for you to ingest.
  • Suryagoddess
    Suryagoddess Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just recently used liquid chlorophyll to heal a wound. I had a reef graze in Bali and normally I have problems of wounds from reefs getting infected from continuous surfing and exposure to tropical climate. A friend suggested I use chlorophyll, just paint it onto the wound. I was skeptical at first as in Indonesia treatment of wounds with Betadine solution does not usually work and hydrogen peroxide needs to be used and even this can lead to infection. The Chlorophyll worked excellent, no infection even though continuously surfing. Apply after wound if wet (surf or shower).
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Nope.
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    More importantly, are you an annual or a perennial?
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    More importantly, are you an annual or a perennial?

Good question.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    Chloroform?
    I also misread the thread title as Chloroform.

ETA: HOLY! How many times has this thread been resurrected?
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    Note to self: You do not know the difference between chlorophyll and chloroform.
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Options
    So you're into that kinky photosynthesis stuff?
  • hockra
    hockra Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    My family uses it when our system seems run down and to build immune system back up. Once I was taking quite a bit for awhile and got nausea, but realized it was working like a cleanser, so I just backed down the amount some and the nausea went away.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    How many new accounts making only one post are going to be created to try to keep this thread alive?
  • Candi_land
    Candi_land Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    30coqiq.jpg
  • TheGoodEmu
    TheGoodEmu Posts: 31 Member
    Options

Snake oil......

As soon as I see a company selling "detox" and "cleanse" products they've lost all credibility with me. I haven't read the "Herbs & Natural Supplements: An Evidence-Based Guide" but would hazard a guess that there aren't a lot of peer reviewed clinical trials quoted in it which is one of the biggest objections traditional medical practitioners have with alternative treatments.

So Medical Practitioners have a big problem with lack of "peer reviewed clinical trials" in relation to alternative treatments. That's fine if you put your faith in Medical Practitioners, but consider that these MD's read journals containing studies that are bought and paid for by the companies selling the drugs. Essentially they are worthless, and you'd be better off taking anything natural and "alternative" than to be taking anything at all that is a chemical drug.

I normally don't like to get into discussions on MFP at all because they don't seem to go anywhere. However...

"Peer reviewed clinical trials" simply means that the experiment which produced the results in question can be scrutinized by anyone, repeated by anyone (under exactly the same conditions). No one cares if it's "alternative" medicine or "medicine" (after all... alternative medicine that has enough evidence for efficacy is called.... medicine), it just needs EVIDENCE. The Alt Med industry is just as diluted with money as any other at this point. ALL medicines/treatments need to be scrutinized and questioned over and over again. It's not always a perfect system (it being a human system and all) but it's a hell of a lot better than just taking one or two companies' words.

And, sorry, but "feeling better" is not meaningful. You can make yourself feel "better" by doing a lot of things, like laying in the sun or seeing a shooting star! Taking a supplement can make you feel good about the choices you are making, which can lead to an overall sense of wellbeing.

Further, many if not most of our drugs DO come from herbs, fungi, etc!!! Where do you think we get this stuff? Why are there scientists roaming the earth taking samples of exotic tree bark and fungus in cave puddles in the name of medical science?

I'd recommend learning about the process of hard science - there's no denying the logic once you take an objective look at it. It does not favor one side or the other.

One more thing - a few years ago I worked at a major supplement supply place that sold all of the stuff that falls under "alternative." Many companies came out to us and gave us "seminars" that always included a HUGE and amazing free lunch. they'd give us free stuff, and incentives to sell their products, while talking **** about other alt meds/supplement companies. Just an observation That lead me to seriously question the pure and altruistic view that everyone seems to have about this industry. Question everything.
  • deborahedwinadyer
    Options
    It got a bad wrap on the check out on channel 2 last night, no value at all apparently. I was off to buy some today, but now i have second thoughts
  • fayskelley
    Options
    Well there is something in green grass that horses like better than dry hay ... We lived in Sedona for 4 years and actually had some grass on the 2 acres. Now just north of Phoenix it is dry desert. They were reaching over the fence toward some locust trees which are not good for them so I started adding chlorophyll in their soaked pellets each day now for about ten days and I started taking it myself. We'll see if they stop trying to get the tiny whips of leaves over the fence.

What is there in green stuff that is good for us? I thought it was chlorophyll. Is someone saying if I get it in liquid form it is not what the label says?

New here and not sure why all of the negativity on this thread. I hope all the threads are not like this, LOL -- If you don't like something, look for something you do like and play and post there, no?
  • littlemissbossy86
    Options
    I was reading up on the benefits of Chlorophyll, and it sounded too good not to try. Even though I would consider myself a generally healthy person, I wanted an extra boost. I took 5ml of Swisse Liquid Chlorophyll (spearmint) on Wednesday morning, and felt unwell within a few hours. I wasn't sure at the time if it was the Chlorophyll or the coffee I had an hour later. I assumed it was the coffee which made me ill, so the next day I had no coffee, but took another 5ml of Chlorophyll. I again felt very unwell.

Then I realised it was the Chlorophyll which was reacting badly. I stopped taking it. Symptoms included: sick feeling in stomach, nausea, constant belching (air releasing from mouth), green runny stool and abdominal pain. A few days later, I needed to vomit as well.

Now it has been 1 week since the last dose, and I still feel washed out, lethargic and generally unhealthy. I am hoping I can get back to my usual self soon, and feel so silly for taking this to begin with. Has anyone else had this experience? Does anyone know what I can do to counter-act the effects?
  • ithrowconfetti
    ithrowconfetti Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I find that taking a tablespoon of liquid chlorophyll in a glass of water daily helps with my digestion and acne. Plus, it freshens breath!