im not taking anything away from those who have lost a lot o

Options
amyy902
amyy902 Posts: 290 Member
i think its amazing and i couldnt have more respect for people who do it, it takes a lot of strength to overcome your own body etc, but what about those people who have never been overweigt or underweight? surely thats an achievement in the society we live in?

Replies

• jillyt85
    jillyt85 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    If the person has actually been HEALTHY and not just fit looking, then that is a success. That being said, you probably won't find tons of people saying "awesome job! You're amazing!" if someone comes on here and says "I've never been fat, or underweight, and I've always been in great physical shape." It would sound like they were trying to rub it in everyone's face.
  • Mikaylarae27
    Mikaylarae27 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    That is great, but then why would they be on MFP?
  • CM9178
    CM9178 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    If someone has never had to diet to lose/gain weight, and is just naturally a good weight, chances are they just have the genes and metabolism, and have done nothing to be that way. So I don't really see a reason to congratulate them for doing nothing except being born lucky. My sister is the perfect example - she has been a good weight her entire life and has never once dieted or counted calories or exercised. She is in perfect health and physical condition. She is just lucky. Myself on the other hand - I've been overweight all my life and I cannot eat a bite of food without possibly gaining weight - we are just completely different - I'm the "unlucky" one so to speak. It isn't as though I've been pigging out and eating 4000 calories a day all my life.

If you are counting calories and or working out 5 times a week, and say "I've never been overweight", guess what.. you are dieting just like the rest of us - only difference is you've just been in maintenance mode. That doesn't make you special.
  • libby328
    libby328 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I know a girl that is small, I mean small 5 feet tall 100 pounds has been this small since I have known her. she has never done anything to be that way. She had her daughter and walked outta the hospital in her size 0 jeans. I am not going to say its not good for her. But I myself get a little upset because she seems to think that anyone that isnt that small is HUGE! I am a size 5-7 depending on the type of clothes she compared me to a friend of ours that lost 65 pounds!! she asked me if I had thought about seeking out overweight friend for advice on how to lose the weight! She has no idea what it is like to EARN YOUR BODY so no not everyone deserves a pat on the back for being lucky enough to never have to diet or do anything to look that great!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,099 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what you are fishing for, here....Congratulations on your roll of the genetic dice. :ohwell:
  • Llorraine11
    Llorraine11 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I know a girl that is small, I mean small 5 feet tall 100 pounds has been this small since I have known her. she has never done anything to be that way. She had her daughter and walked outta the hospital in her size 0 jeans. I am not going to say its not good for her. But I myself get a little upset because she seems to think that anyone that isnt that small is HUGE! I am a size 5-7 depending on the type of clothes she compared me to a friend of ours that lost 65 pounds!! she asked me if I had thought about seeking out overweight friend for advice on how to lose the weight! She has no idea what it is like to EARN YOUR BODY so no not everyone deserves a pat on the back for being lucky enough to never have to diet or do anything to look that great!
  • Helenatrandom
    Helenatrandom Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    I see your point.

HOWEVER..... Then should we say kudos to those who never smoked a cigarette, never tried a joint, never drank alcohol, never mainlined.... etc.

It IS an achievement to do it right in the first place, but it's hard to pick and choose every little thing someone did right. It is much easier to notice a dramatic change.

• taramaureen
    taramaureen Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Yep, going to totally congradulate my two sisters who eat like **** and don't gain a pound. Yay for genetics cheers! :drinker:
  • howeclectic
    howeclectic Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    The already skinny people have their cheerleaders... They get all the attention in magazines, tv, movies, in clubs, dating, social events, high average wages, and in generally being treated better. Let the struggling have a moment....
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    Just because someone is thin due to genetics or what have you does not equate health. I may still be 40 lbs overweight but I am healthier and can run circles around most of my "skinny" friends. I'm not going to congratulate someone that stuffs themselves with processed crap, the only squat they do is to sit on the couch and the heaviest thing they lift is the remote. I will how ever admire and respect someone who is healthy, chooses to eat healthy foods and exercises to their full potential regardless of their size.
  • OnceAndFutureAthlete
    OnceAndFutureAthlete Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I see your point.

HOWEVER..... Then should we say kudos to those who never smoked a cigarette, never tried a joint, never drank alcohol, never mainlined.... etc.

It IS an achievement to do it right in the first place, but it's hard to pick and choose every little thing someone did right. It is much easier to notice a dramatic change.

Actually, personally I think we SHOULD celebrate not just people who come back from addictions, but also those (esp. kids) who consistently make good choices all along.

As a culture, we do a lot of glorifying people in recovery. I'm not saying we shouldn't celebrate them, but I think there's also an element of gory "rubbernecking" that we do in listening to their stories. It seems the gorier, the farther down they fell, the more we like to hear about it (as a culture, not necessarily as an individual).

The kid who grew up with a lot of temptation, who stayed in school, who never took drugs, who every day made the decision to keep on a path, we never celebrate that kid, and perhaps we should.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    i think its amazing and i couldnt have more respect for people who do it, it takes a lot of strength to overcome your own body etc, but what about those people who have never been overweigt or underweight? surely thats an achievement in the society we live in?

I agree. I have a lot of respect for people who have maintained their weight. It's something I, obviously, couldn't do until recently.
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I am one of those people. I had never been underweight or overweight. I am the same weight as I was in HS. The only time I gained was during my two pregnancies. I, personally, don't care to get recognition for it. It's not that I don't gain weight naturally because of my genetics, but I eat fairly healthy most days and watch my portions.

To answer the question of "then why would they be on MFP?", well I would like be healthy. Like other pointed out, skinny doesn't equal healthy. I also find success stories inspiring and motivating. And the forums are a good place to kill time.
  • kperk91
    kperk91 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I have always been a healthy weight and overall medically healthy. But weight doesn't account for my 28% body fat that resides in my stomach region. Thanks to my family genes for that. MFP has taught me to be aware of the food I put into my mouth and exercise.If only I could start losing some of this potbelly fat :)
  • nataliefallbach
    Options
    Just because someone is thin due to genetics or what have you does not equate health. I may still be 40 lbs overweight but I am healthier and can run circles around most of my "skinny" friends. I'm not going to congratulate someone that stuffs themselves with processed crap, the only squat they do is to sit on the couch and the heaviest thing they lift is the remote. I will how ever admire and respect someone who is healthy, chooses to eat healthy foods and exercises to their full potential regardless of their size.

LOVE IT!
  • withervein
    withervein Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Some folks may have been a healthy weight and active lifestyles since they were young and never needed concentrate on losing or gaining weight because not because they were "born lucky" but because they were brought up enjoying activity and respecting food. They learn what they grow up with and carry on once they leave home.

These people don't necessarily deserve a parade, but I'm sure encouragement never hurt anyone, either.
  • libby328
    libby328 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    At my largest I was 168 right after having both my kids. At my thinnest I was 102 suffering from Anorexia! I have managed to stay balanced between 117-124 for most of my life! This is something I have dealt with my enire life! I watched my Grandma suffer and eventually die from being Diabetic and now my dad is in renal failure from the same thing. I have been scared my entire life that this is the way I will go down! It is so important to me to maintain a healthy weight and eat right! I am far from perfect looking and I know that weight is something that I will have to deal with my entire life from both ends. So my point was to those of you out there that were blessed to have a wonderful small fit body that is great for you! But They will never know the struggle everyone else has to go through every day! And I have a difficult time saying " amazing job getting out of bed this morning eating whatever you want and still looking amazing"
  • Helenatrandom
    Helenatrandom Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    I see your point.

Actually, personally I think we SHOULD celebrate not just people who come back from addictions, but also those (esp. kids) who consistently make good choices all along.

As a culture, we do a lot of glorifying people in recovery. I'm not saying we shouldn't celebrate them, but I think there's also an element of gory "rubbernecking" that we do in listening to their stories. It seems the gorier, the farther down they fell, the more we like to hear about it (as a culture, not necessarily as an individual).

The kid who grew up with a lot of temptation, who stayed in school, who never took drugs, who every day made the decision to keep on a path, we never celebrate that kid, and perhaps we should.

It's not that I don't see your point in celebrating those who did it right in the first place, it's just that it's hard to find the right time and right way for every single instance. If someone says to me "I've never tried alcohol in my life and I really don't want any" I'll say "Good for you!" Same if it's meat, cigarettes, drugs....
    But overall, on a site where people are trying to improve their health, yes, we are going to cheer for improvements rather than for staying awesome.
  • MindyG150
    MindyG150 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    So what are you fishing for? I don't get it.

Every friend I have and there are a lot of them, has issues, in one form or another. You don’t get to 50 without them. To overcome and or make peace with any issue in anyone’s life I say WTG!

So everyone, whatever your issue (your weight or not) go after it and conquer it!
  • amyy902
    amyy902 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    i was just seeing what other people think. i work as a personal trainer so i see a lot of differnt people. i know a lot of people who say they maintain there figure by good genes and some people do but others say it and are actually training 5 times a week in the gym. i have never been over weight, but have been severly underweight, and i obviously have control problems so i personal envy people who can make healthy choices the majority of the time. i think its super good.

its just nice to see opinions and stuff. i mean its all good, people who loose, people who get healthy from being on the brink and others that never get to either end of the spectrum. none are any better feats really just differnt. :)~
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!