im not taking anything away from those who have lost a lot o

Options

Replies

• Russellb97
    Russellb97 Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    i think its amazing and i couldnt have more respect for people who do it, it takes a lot of strength to overcome your own body etc, but what about those people who have never been overweigt or underweight? surely thats an achievement in the society we live in?

Maybe,
    It's kind of like people that are born rich and then they end up rich themselves versus those born poor and then make themselves rich.

There's a huge advantage growing up with the genetics and learning healthy eating and exercise habits from parents.
  • ChristmasCrystal
    ChristmasCrystal Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    i think its amazing and i couldnt have more respect for people who do it, it takes a lot of strength to overcome your own body etc, but what about those people who have never been overweigt or underweight? surely thats an achievement in the society we live in?

Maybe,
    It's kind of like people that are born rich and then they end up rich themselves versus those born poor and then make themselves rich.

There's a huge advantage growing up with the genetics and learning healthy eating and exercise habits from parents.

Very well said.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    That is great, but then why would they be on MFP?

They're just interested in nutrition, fitness, health--i've never been overweight :/
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options

Maybe,

Very well said.

great analogy!! i second that! :)
  • Fit_Canuck
    Fit_Canuck Posts: 788 Member
    Options

The important question is....are they healthy? Being overweight or underweight doesn't necessarily mean anything, a lot of people base that on the BMI scale, which in my opinion is archaic and should be abolished. If you are at a healthy weight, are in good physical health, then of course it's an achievement :) But weight alone isn't that only factor to look at.
  • CannibalisticVegetarian
    CannibalisticVegetarian Posts: 1,255 Member
    Options
    The already skinny people have their cheerleaders... They get all the attention in magazines, tv, movies, in clubs, dating, social events, high average wages, and in generally being treated better. Let the struggling have a moment....

^^^^This
  • bbbgamer
    bbbgamer Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    you're right, you're not taking anything away from those who have lost a lot....
  • gomisskellygo
    gomisskellygo Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    The already skinny people have their cheerleaders... They get all the attention in magazines, tv, movies, in clubs, dating, social events, high average wages, and in generally being treated better. Let the struggling have a moment....

Yup.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options

Thank you!
  • sheri02r
    sheri02r Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I see your point.

HOWEVER..... Then should we say kudos to those who never smoked a cigarette, never tried a joint, never drank alcohol, never mainlined.... etc.

It IS an achievement to do it right in the first place, but it's hard to pick and choose every little thing someone did right. It is much easier to notice a dramatic change.

Actually, personally I think we SHOULD celebrate not just people who come back from addictions, but also those (esp. kids) who consistently make good choices all along.

As a culture, we do a lot of glorifying people in recovery. I'm not saying we shouldn't celebrate them, but I think there's also an element of gory "rubbernecking" that we do in listening to their stories. It seems the gorier, the farther down they fell, the more we like to hear about it (as a culture, not necessarily as an individual).

The kid who grew up with a lot of temptation, who stayed in school, who never took drugs, who every day made the decision to keep on a path, we never celebrate that kid, and perhaps we should.

^^ So True!!
  • helloiloveukitty
    helloiloveukitty Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    not saying anyone is but personally I don't find being bitter about naturally slim or the eat whatever you want without gaining a pound types helpful or something I'd invest any time in.

I guess I just don't worry about others actions / lives like that. Although I do know that just being slim doesn't always mean your healthy, only that you won't have complications of obesity.
  • Elf_Princess1210
    Elf_Princess1210 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    Well, as long as they're healthy and not suffering from an ED it could be genetics ect.
  • 2Bgoddess
    2Bgoddess Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options

Maybe,

Very well said.

great analogy!! i second that! :)

Totally true. the 'self made man' is definitely held in higher esteem.
  • Elf_Princess1210
    Options
    not saying anyone is but personally I don't find being bitter about naturally slim or the eat whatever you want without gaining a pound types helpful or something I'd invest any time in.

I guess I just don't worry about others actions / lives like that. Although I do know that just being slim doesn't always mean your healthy, only that you won't have complications of obesity.

I've cared for a lot of slim people that dropped dead of obeisity related diseases who have never been even overweight.
  • Elf_Princess1210
    Options

Yup.

Exactly.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I would say kudos to whomever taught them about eating right and kudos to them for listening and putting their body first...im the first one to admit my parents knew nothing about eating right and it just rolled right off to us as kids...i think its great people lose weight and get their priorities in order...but i do admire those who have always lead a healthy lifestyle....
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I know a girl that is small, I mean small 5 feet tall 100 pounds has been this small since I have known her. she has never done anything to be that way. She had her daughter and walked outta the hospital in her size 0 jeans. I am not going to say its not good for her. But I myself get a little upset because she seems to think that anyone that isnt that small is HUGE! I am a size 5-7 depending on the type of clothes she compared me to a friend of ours that lost 65 pounds!! she asked me if I had thought about seeking out overweight friend for advice on how to lose the weight! She has no idea what it is like to EARN YOUR BODY so no not everyone deserves a pat on the back for being lucky enough to never have to diet or do anything to look that great!

Sounds like the kind of friend no one needs.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    I see your point.

HOWEVER..... Then should we say kudos to those who never smoked a cigarette, never tried a joint, never drank alcohol, never mainlined.... etc.

It IS an achievement to do it right in the first place, but it's hard to pick and choose every little thing someone did right. It is much easier to notice a dramatic change.

Actually, personally I think we SHOULD celebrate not just people who come back from addictions, but also those (esp. kids) who consistently make good choices all along.

As a culture, we do a lot of glorifying people in recovery. I'm not saying we shouldn't celebrate them, but I think there's also an element of gory "rubbernecking" that we do in listening to their stories. It seems the gorier, the farther down they fell, the more we like to hear about it (as a culture, not necessarily as an individual).

The kid who grew up with a lot of temptation, who stayed in school, who never took drugs, who every day made the decision to keep on a path, we never celebrate that kid, and perhaps we should.

I know exactly what you mean and you are absolutely right. There was a girl that the same way on the news. Valedictorian of her class this year, home coming queen, straight A's and on the straight and narrow all her school years.......

She was strangled Monday by her boyfriend.

http://fox2now.com/2012/03/14/vashon-studen-found-dead/
  • Neequie
    Neequie Posts: 48
    Options
    My best friend 25+ years...has always b een thin, attractive. 5' tall, and 110 lbs, size 5 jeans etc. I used to be her size too, for many many years, then I quit smoking, eating 3x per day had health issues that the smoking was actually masking..hypothyroidism. ANYWAY, Im almost double that size now, but losing. Im am a lot healthier than her, I can run circles around her. She doesn't "diet" so to speak, but has always watched her portion sizes...that is how she was raised. Her Mom and Aunts are all overweight. Her sister is "normal" but thinks she is fat, lol!! My bestie drinks a lot, barely eats...SHe can keep her weight/size...no matter how much I lose, I hope to NEVER go through that again!! I want to be a lot smaller than I am, and am working towards it, and will always have to watch what I eat and portions, but I LOVE FOOD!! I will remain active as well....I think people who have never had a problem with weight, up or down, thats fine but not just my bestie, others Ive known, there's usually a reason for it. and it has nothing to do with good genes. My EX Boyfriend was underweight, still is, he's also an alcoholic...a functioning, lovable, sweet alcoholic. Alcol to replace food,,,my question would be WHY?? We ALL need to do something to watch what we eat either way....and activity levels!
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    To those people who say that it is just down to luck and genetics - I say bull****.

There is very little difference in the way 2 different people metabolise food. There is a difference however in how much people eat.

I know people will disagree and never believe it to be true, but being someone who has always been thin, and having one of my best mates as someone who was over 20 stone, and having in depth discussions, we have both come to some realisations.

The main one was that I Was thin because I ate significantly less than him.

Not because I was 'lucky' or had some magical triple speed metabolism.

If it was the case that everyone's metabolism was so far apart then the calculations used to work out your BMR wouldn't work.

People have always said that I eat loads, I never stop eating and I'm so lucky that I can just eat and eat without putting on weight, whilst they hardly eat anything and yet continue to get fatter. Yet when they and I actually note down what they eat in a day and compare it against my intake the reason is clear - I was topping out at a max of around 2500 cals, they were going on to 4000. Just forgetting about that Mars bar they had and those packs of crisps, oh and that pork pie, and that McDonalds burger they called in for on the way home.

The very mentality that makes you argue the case of luck is the same that made you put on weight in the first place. This victim mentality that says it's not your fault, it's just bad luck, refusing to take responsibility for how you eat.

As I mentioned, my friend who is now just about 14 stone (196lbs) and mostly muscle, has not just eaten differently by depriving himself of what he wants - he has fundamentally changed the way he thinks about food and in doing so realised exactly what I've put above - it's not luck - he was just eating more than he should.

This is an argument that annoys me, as one of the 'lucky skinny people'. No, I do a hell of a lot of exercise and eat an appropriate amount. To call me lucky is to dismiss the healthy lifestyle I live.

Now where I have been lucky, is that in my upbringing my parents clearly gave me a natural sense of proper portion control as I have never wanted to over-eat, but that is all, not genetics or luck.

P.s.in before - medical problems etc.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!