im not taking anything away from those who have lost a lot o

Options

Replies

• jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I think congratulations are in order for anyone who lives a healthy lifestyle, no matter how much they weigh. Most evidence points to people practicing healthy habits are healthy,no matter what their size is. And that's something everyone can strive for.
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    The already skinny people have their cheerleaders... They get all the attention in magazines, tv, movies, in clubs, dating, social events, high average wages, and in generally being treated better. Let the struggling have a moment....

I would disagree - it is now frowned upon to be thin by a lot of people, and it is becoming more and more fashionable to say how cool fat people look.

People are allowed to say how gaunt and thin someone looks, "how skeletal and how disgusting it is, look at this big beautiful woman over here, she's so comfortable and doesn't need to be skinny" etc etc. That is just double standards as far as I'm concerned.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    And while we're at it we may as well take a moment to consider how hard it is to be rich. Sometimes the pool boy does a half *kitten* job skimming my koi pond. Why does no one feel my pain?? Where's my parade?

:noway:
  • jrock317
    jrock317 Posts: 26
    Options
    The main thing that bothers me about this post is that it was posted under "success stories." It seems like a slap in the face. Intentional or unintentional. Makes no difference to me.
  • lilojoke
    lilojoke Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter what shape, size or weight you are. To the thin person and to the fat person fitness is important period! I know people who have a 10% body fat look awesome but yet when I see them or socialize with them they are the most picky eaters I have seen but yet the results show! Although these people I know may have never been 100 pounds over their normal weight they do indeed have ups and downs with food and exercise just like fat people do.

So why am I here? Because I rather be here then out on other boards doing other things that quite frankly could cost me money and not even make me a stronger person.

I don't 100% believe in genetics just hard work!
  • lilojoke
    lilojoke Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Lock this thread down!!!

This initial post seems like its very much discrimination!
  • crazytreelady
    crazytreelady Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    egg creations.. Nom nom nom.. 1/2 cup and a piece of toast is hmm, maybe 130 calories
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    To those people who say that it is just down to luck and genetics - I say bull****.

There is very little difference in the way 2 different people metabolise food. There is a difference however in how much people eat.

That's my take. I'm not expecting any parades, neither for having been thin for a large chunk of my life, nor for losing after life got in the way and I gained weight.

But I wasn't thin because of luck or genetics. I ate less and was more active than some others. Which, by the way, is the same reason I've lost weight.
  • TKHappy
    TKHappy Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Why do we have to judge any size! I'm sure there is something everyone does that they deserve a pat on the back for...if you seen me you'd peg me as a "skinny person"...I am very insecure about my body (my problem, yes), I am obsessed with being healthy, it almost controls my life and when I talk about it I get strange looks and comments like "where would you even lose weight?", "you don't know how hard it is, your lucky"...but guess what I have been anywhere from 120lbs to 230lbs! I don't need to announce my struggles because I don't have to explain to anyone but it absolutely amazes me how quick people are to judge...you don't know until you live that persons life..so don't assume luck or genetics or background!! We choose our own paths...some are harder then others and thank goodness I've made it this far...patting myself on the back! :)
  • amoffatt
    amoffatt Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    The already skinny people have their cheerleaders... They get all the attention in magazines, tv, movies, in clubs, dating, social events, high average wages, and in generally being treated better. Let the struggling have a moment....

AMEN! :flowerforyou:
  • Bunnybeesweet
    Bunnybeesweet Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    i think its amazing and i couldnt have more respect for people who do it, it takes a lot of strength to overcome your own body etc, but what about those people who have never been overweigt or underweight? surely thats an achievement in the society we live in?

Maybe,
    It's kind of like people that are born rich and then they end up rich themselves versus those born poor and then make themselves rich.

There's a huge advantage growing up with the genetics and learning healthy eating and exercise habits from parents.

I agree, but just because someone didn't grow up overweight doesn't automatically imply such advantages...
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    i think its amazing and i couldnt have more respect for people who do it, it takes a lot of strength to overcome your own body etc, but what about those people who have never been overweigt or underweight? surely thats an achievement in the society we live in?

I suppose it depends. If someone is just lucky, and they've never had to put any effort or thought into maintaining a healthy weight, then no, they literally have achieved nothing--at least in terms of weight loss. They haven't earned anything in particular.

Now if someone has led an active sort of life and has spent their time maintaining their health, sure they'll get my respect for that segment of their life I guess; it's entirely possible that they could be a complete jerk in other ways. Who knows?

So I'm not really sure what you're driving at.
  • keenslk
    keenslk Posts: 126
    Options
    I totally agree with the orginial post to some extent...

I know a lot of people that have never been overweight and always been in great shape and led a really healthy lifestyles....basically they have always worked hard and not been lazy and overeaten crap like a lot of us here have done at some point in our lives (hence why we are trying to lose weight on this site etc... we have not been discplined at some point and disrespected our bodies)

some people have never been overweight/fat because they have always been healthy and looked after themselves.... which in my opionion demands a lot of respect!!!!! prob more respect then someone who has let themselves go and posioned their body with junk for years and years and then got to the point of obesity and think hell I better try and change and shed some pounds....

some of the posts on this thread are very judgmental and scream jealously... my hat goes off to anyone who is healthy and never been overweight and had over-eating issues

we all know here how hard it is to be in shape and eat well - lets not bag those whose lifestyle is that way inclined (and always has been) and who dont need sites like this cause they have never disrespected their bodies...

it's like the drug thing... yeah congrats to a reformed crack addict, but more respect to a person that never became a crack addict in the first place cause they never got hooked on drugs!!

meh rant over
  • tequila09
    tequila09 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I'm just jelly they have good genes I was never overweight but almost got there and I definitely was not healthy at all
  • k8lyn_235
    k8lyn_235 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I am one of those people. I had never been underweight or overweight. I am the same weight as I was in HS. The only time I gained was during my two pregnancies. I, personally, don't care to get recognition for it. It's not that I don't gain weight naturally because of my genetics, but I eat fairly healthy most days and watch my portions.

To answer the question of "then why would they be on MFP?", well I would like be healthy. Like other pointed out, skinny doesn't equal healthy. I also find success stories inspiring and motivating. And the forums are a good place to kill time.

completely agree
  • keenslk
    keenslk Posts: 126
    Options
    To those people who say that it is just down to luck and genetics - I say bull****.

There is very little difference in the way 2 different people metabolise food. There is a difference however in how much people eat.

I know people will disagree and never believe it to be true, but being someone who has always been thin, and having one of my best mates as someone who was over 20 stone, and having in depth discussions, we have both come to some realisations.

The main one was that I Was thin because I ate significantly less than him.

Not because I was 'lucky' or had some magical triple speed metabolism.

If it was the case that everyone's metabolism was so far apart then the calculations used to work out your BMR wouldn't work.

People have always said that I eat loads, I never stop eating and I'm so lucky that I can just eat and eat without putting on weight, whilst they hardly eat anything and yet continue to get fatter. Yet when they and I actually note down what they eat in a day and compare it against my intake the reason is clear - I was topping out at a max of around 2500 cals, they were going on to 4000. Just forgetting about that Mars bar they had and those packs of crisps, oh and that pork pie, and that McDonalds burger they called in for on the way home.

The very mentality that makes you argue the case of luck is the same that made you put on weight in the first place. This victim mentality that says it's not your fault, it's just bad luck, refusing to take responsibility for how you eat.

As I mentioned, my friend who is now just about 14 stone (196lbs) and mostly muscle, has not just eaten differently by depriving himself of what he wants - he has fundamentally changed the way he thinks about food and in doing so realised exactly what I've put above - it's not luck - he was just eating more than he should.

This is an argument that annoys me, as one of the 'lucky skinny people'. No, I do a hell of a lot of exercise and eat an appropriate amount. To call me lucky is to dismiss the healthy lifestyle I live.

Now where I have been lucky, is that in my upbringing my parents clearly gave me a natural sense of proper portion control as I have never wanted to over-eat, but that is all, not genetics or luck.

P.s.in before - medical problems etc.

totally agree!!! people are kidding themselves if they think it is all done to luck and genetics why they are overweight!
  • Crys1209
    Crys1209 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Just because someone is thin due to genetics or what have you does not equate health. I may still be 40 lbs overweight but I am healthier and can run circles around most of my "skinny" friends. I'm not going to congratulate someone that stuffs themselves with processed crap, the only squat they do is to sit on the couch and the heaviest thing they lift is the remote. I will how ever admire and respect someone who is healthy, chooses to eat healthy foods and exercises to their full potential regardless of their size.

I definitely agree with you. Just because someone is thin does not neccesarily mean they are healthy. My best friend who isn't heavy at all gets winded going up and down her stairs and she's skinny but she will also admit to being out of shape. Lol
    Btw I love your profile pic. :)
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options

I know people will disagree and never believe it to be true, but being someone who has always been thin, and having one of my best mates as someone who was over 20 stone, and having in depth discussions, we have both come to some realisations.

Not because I was 'lucky' or had some magical triple speed metabolism.

If it was the case that everyone's metabolism was so far apart then the calculations used to work out your BMR wouldn't work.

People have always said that I eat loads, I never stop eating and I'm so lucky that I can just eat and eat without putting on weight, whilst they hardly eat anything and yet continue to get fatter. Yet when they and I actually note down what they eat in a day and compare it against my intake the reason is clear - I was topping out at a max of around 2500 cals, they were going on to 4000. Just forgetting about that Mars bar they had and those packs of crisps, oh and that pork pie, and that McDonalds burger they called in for on the way home.

The very mentality that makes you argue the case of luck is the same that made you put on weight in the first place. This victim mentality that says it's not your fault, it's just bad luck, refusing to take responsibility for how you eat.

As I mentioned, my friend who is now just about 14 stone (196lbs) and mostly muscle, has not just eaten differently by depriving himself of what he wants - he has fundamentally changed the way he thinks about food and in doing so realised exactly what I've put above - it's not luck - he was just eating more than he should.

This is an argument that annoys me, as one of the 'lucky skinny people'. No, I do a hell of a lot of exercise and eat an appropriate amount. To call me lucky is to dismiss the healthy lifestyle I live.

Now where I have been lucky, is that in my upbringing my parents clearly gave me a natural sense of proper portion control as I have never wanted to over-eat, but that is all, not genetics or luck.

P.s.in before - medical problems etc.

Not to discount your experience but you are not every thin person so your experience doesn't mean it's the same for all thin people either.

My sister married a guy that comes from a thin family and her daughters inherited their attributes when it comes to metabolism, weight, etc. My nieces have always been extremely thin with small bone structures. They actually feel that they are too thin and have gone through periods of time when they have tried to gain weight. I remember one of them telling me that during her senior year in high school, she drank two milkshakes every day with lunch trying to put on a few pounds. Didn't work. She was also one of those who wore her pre-pregnancy jeans home from the hospital immediately after delivery and tried to gain more weight during her pregnancy because her OG/GYN was concerned about her lack of weight gain during pregnancy. I think she gained something like 18#, IIRC. So, while pregnant, she ate healthy meals but then, to try to gain weight, would also eat a lot of ice cream, cookies, chips, weight-gaining shakes, whatever and still couldn't gain. She also had to stop breastfeeding because she couldn't eat enough to keep herself from losing weight into a level that her physician considered dangerously low. I saw some of her meals during this time. She was eating huge amounts of food to the point where I got a stomach-ache just watching her eat. She also never works out. NEVER. She jokes that her only exercise is walking around in her stilettos at work.

Is she extreme? Sure, this isn't normal. But I've known a few others who are similar.

One of my always slender friends, who has never jogged a day in her life, gone to a gym, or done any kind of regular exercise recently dropped 10# by cutting out her evening snack and packing one sandwich in her lunch instead of two. It took her about 2 weeks to lose it. Not quite as extreme as my niece but she is certainly not in good fitness shape either.

Neither my niece or my friend eat a healthy diet, either.

ETA: Although this doesn't take anything away from those who have maintained a healthy weight, never having been overweight, because they have always just eaten healthy and maintained fitness through exercise. Yes, those people are to be commended.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options

Completely disagree. There is a big difference in how people metabolize their calories. I have several friends who weigh 60 pounds less than I do who eat more than I do. Our activity levels are similar. On a "low food" day for them, it is equivalent to what I eat on a regular day.

There are also interesting studies on weight loss among twins.
    Here is one study where they overfed infants: http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJM199005243222101
    Each twin matched their sibling for weight gain, but there was a big difference in the amount gained across pairs. From 4kg to 13kg.

Here is a study on the reverse: twins attempting to lose weight. http://www.nature.com/ijo/journal/v25/n4/full/0801559a.html
    The same thing happened. Each twin was similar to his/her sibling. Across twins was widely variable.

The moral of the story is, the same behavior may not lead to the same results in 2 different people. This doesn't mean you should not try, but you should aspire to reach your best, not someone elses.
  • m60kaf
    m60kaf Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Jadedone there are also plenty of studies out there that say you are simply eating more than they are. They are simply overestimating what they eat or you are underestimating, possibly portion size

put you both in a scientific environment and even a difference of 100 cals is unlikely.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!