• pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    Cathy
    SW 208.6 lbs / GW 203 lbs / CW 208.6 lbs PROGRESS: + / - 00.00 lbs
    AmyLou
    SW 151 lbs / GW 145 lbs / CW 151 lbs PROGRESS: + / - 00.00 lbs
    Kristin
    PREGNANT! (with a little boy, that is Lauryn's bet )
    Lauryn
    SW 159 lbs / GW 153 lbs / CW 159 lbs PROGRESS: + / - 00.00 lbs
    Em
    SW 148.0 lbs / GW 142 lbs / CW 148.0 lbs PROGRESS +/- 00.00 lbs
    Jess
    SW 178.8 lbs/ GW 171 lbs / CW 178.8 lbs PROGRESS +/-00.00 lbs
    Rhiannon
    SW 000 lbs / GW 000 lbs / CW 000 lbs PROGRESS +/- 00.00lbs
    Kelly
    SW 160/ GW 154/ CW 160 PROGRESS: +/-00.00lbs
    Deb (mbmempire) SW 181 / GW 135lbs / CW 165 lbs Progress : +/- 00.00 lbs
    Amy
    SW 202lbs/ GW 190lbs/ CW 202lbs progress: +/- 00.00 lbs
    Whitney
    SW 175/ GW 168 /CW 175 / progress:+/-00.00lbs
    Tiff
    SW 150.4/GW141/CW150.4 Progress: +/- 0
    Jen
    SW 145/GW/137/145 Progress +/-0
    Tamm
    SW203.5/GW197/CW 203.5 Progress +/- 0
    Jasmine
    SW 196 lbs / GW 186 lbs/ CW 196 lbs PROGRESS: +/-00.00 lbs
    Robin
    SW 188 lbs / GW 180 lbs / CW 188 lbs PROGRESS 0

Left me off....
  • pettmybunny
    Options
    Thanks for the tip =D I am horrible and knowing what to eat and when. I become overwhelmed with all the information there is out there.

Would you happen to know, my calorie restriction is 1200 but from what I have read that is already a minus 500 calories. I know to lose a pound a week we are supposed to create a 500 calorie deficit. Should I still be burning 500+ calories a day along with the 1200 caloric intake?

The 1200 calorie a day is already a deficit. If you exercise and burn 500 calories, you need to eat more.... You can eat up to 1700 then! BONUS POINTS lol
  • PedalHound
    PedalHound Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options

If you don't mind my asking, what does a normal day of eating look like for you? What are some of the first things that come to mind when you mention foods you absolutely won't eat? I have a sneaking suspicion this will be easier than you think :wink: :flowerforyou:

Nope, I don't mind at all. I want to learn and figure out what I am doing wrong. I think sometimes I am TOO critical of foods.

Well, I guess there are few foods I REFUSE to eat (and I am talking regular foods here, I refuse to eat some of the stuff over in europe=)

Anyway, I am not a fan of fish. It is not that I will REFUSE to eat it, but it certainly doesn't make me salivate either.

Here is today so far:

Nutrigrain waffle (2)
    Sugar free syrup (two tablespoons)
    Banana
    Orange Juice
    Flax Seed

Lunch:
    Salad: Romaine Lettuce, Radish, Feta cheese, low cal dressing (I need to find better ones than the one I have)

Snack/mini meal
    Whole Wheat Bread (2)
    1 tbsp of margarine
    Coffee

I am already at 860 cal with 340 left, it is 3 in the afternoon and there is still dinner left to deal with.
    [/quote]

Cathy, you're right, that's one of the first things I' noticed too. Also I noticed that you only have 17lbs to lose. I know that everyone's goals are significant and it's all relative, but when it comes to calories it makes a big difference. How tall are you? Even if you are quite short, when you're looking at 17 lbs I strongly suspect that 1200 calories a day is not enough. And if you have selected a 1lb a week loss then yes, MFP is already subtracting that 500 cals a day and if you work out you need to replace those calories otherwise you are actually creating more than a 500 calorie a day deficit which will cause your metabolism to slow to a crawl. Here are some tips right off the bat:
    eating lean protein along with complex carbohydrates at every sitting will keep your metabolism working at its best and will also allow you to feel satiated longer because your body works longer to break down the combo of protein and complex carbs than if you have either alone or other kinds of food. Also, starting off with a big glass of water when you wake up as well as a really well-rounded breakfast will make a huge difference to the rest of your day. I am breastfeeding so I decided to keep my daily cals around 1500 which I honestly don't think is too far off what you should aim for. Here's an example of my day, food-wise.
    breakfast: 1 cup cooked rolled oats w/ 1/2 cup berries (today was a mix of strawberries and blueberries), 1 tbsp honey, 2 tbsp flax meal, 1 tbsp wheat germ plus 1/2 cup organic cottage cheese (this is for clean protein though you can easily replace this with some scrambled egg whites and low-sodium salsa. I like to get the organic cottage cheese because it has only 25mg of sodium per 1/2 cup, 24g of protein and because it has almost no flavour it mixes in without making much of a difference). This is 380 calories and a VERY hearty, tasty and brilliantly balanced meal.
    ...must run to daughter's dress rehearsal but I want to post this much and I'll pick up where I left off. :flowerforyou:
  • Redneckwoman
    Redneckwoman Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Cathy
    AmyLou
    Kristin
    Lauryn
    Em
    Jess
    Rhiannon
    Kelly
    SW 160/ GW 135/ CW 160 PROGRESS: +/-00.00lbs
    Amy
    Whitney
    Tiff
    Jen
    Tamm
    Jasmine
    Robin

Left me off.... I would have fixed Rednecks, but I don't know who she is real name

I'm Sorry. :sad: :sad: My name is kelly
  • pettmybunny
    Options
    Cathy
    AmyLou
    Kristin
    Lauryn
    Em
    Jess
    Rhiannon
    Kelly
    SW 160/ GW 154/ CW 160 PROGRESS: +/-00.00lbs
    Amy
    Whitney
    Tiff
    Jen
    Tamm
    Jasmine
    Robin

You're fixed now Kelly!
  • harleygirl6363
    harleygirl6363 Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Well Im home form work and Im debating doing my video for the second time today. I cant find my energy to do it though. Im just so tired from the first two workouts and my hike in the mountains yesterday sigh!! LOL Ok i can do this I know I can I want to be thin more than I want to be big!!!
  • Redneckwoman
    Options
    Thank you!!!!:flowerforyou: Now I feel better.

Kelly:heart:
  • PedalHound
    Options
    Well Im home form work and Im debating doing my video for the second time today. I cant find my energy to do it though. Im just so tired from the first two workouts and my hike in the mountains yesterday sigh!! LOL Ok i can do this I know I can I want to be thin more than I want to be big!!!

Motivation is a great thing, but remember that our bodies need proper recovery time from work-outs as much as they require the workout itself! Your muscles grow not during exercise but during rest (sleep!) and the metabolic increase from working out remains for longer than the actual session. Don't over-train. You'll increase your risk of burning out and injuring yourself which will prevent you from working out at all. Pace yourself so that your body can stay healthy and get lean in a healthy way :flowerforyou:
  • amylou24
    amylou24 Posts: 365
    Options
    WHOA!! well I tried to catch up with all I missed today, I am still working on packing for my summer but I will do personals tomorrow.

I can't remember if it was Tamm or Tiff who asked but I will be in Omaha, NE for the summer. That is actually where I went to undergrad so i'm SUPER excited to go back. And its only about 4 hours from my family instead of 8 1/2. :bigsmile:

Good night all!
  • harleygirl6363
    Options
    OMG I just did a killer ab workout dang feel the burn!!! It was the one that came with the slim in 6 series WOW killer for real. At lest I got my butt up to do it I wasnt going to!!
  • chipper15173
    chipper15173 Posts: 3,981 Member
    Options
    morning ladies....

doing well in my neck of the world. hope everyone else is too. ready to hit the gym here shortly. an easy workout, need to watch that stupid foot again. if not better the doc is ordering an MRI.
    boy, i am sure enjoying this chatty group this time around. so glad to have you newbies.

well, need to get going.

later
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Rhiannon, reading your advice to Jen makes me think I am not eating enough either. I only eat about 1300 cals + exercise (which averages 250-300 extra cals). I'll have to pull a list of what I'm eating, although I'll be embarassed to share it with you because it's all processed crap. :blushing: I'm not a cook, I'm a picky eater, I have a super busy life, and I'm on a budget. It's tough BUT with summer here, the local farmers market will be opening up and I can get fresh produce for cheap.

Kelly, you and I have almost the exact same goals!!! I'm 159lbs (for today, haha) with a goal weight of 138lbs.

AmyLou, so glad you will be so much closer to home. A 4 hour drive is more 'doable' than an 8 hour drive!

Cathy, morning!! Hope your workout goes well and hope that foot pain goes away!!

Jess, congrats on keeping up these workouts!! Just be watching for burnout... keep up the motivation but be sure to rest your body when it needs it.

I will be taking a "rest" day today. I'm going to lunch today with coworkers, doing it again next Monday and then again next Thursday (or so). Being displaced (laid off) gets coworkers wanting to take you out to lunch all the time, LOLOLOL, and I cannot say no. :smile: Since I ran another 1.25mi yesterday :bigsmile: I feel justified in "resting" today and not working out my body. I will however need a workout this weekend.

Background: I have a degree in sociology with a concentration in social control and criminology. I currently work at a corporate banking location. Illogical? Sorta. :wink: But I really want to go to law school. I even bought the LSAT (extrance exam, kinda like the SATs) study books although I haven't cracked them yet. I'm too scared now to even study, what if I fail?? :embarassed: I'll work on that next week though. Anyhow, found an AWESOME job to apply for yesterday. Pay stinks (about a 25% paycut from what I do now, which means it won't afford me an apartment of my own :frown: ) but it's for a city Crime Scene Technician. How cool would that be??? Also applied with my sister's company (tax resolution, also pays poorly) and for a job within the bank here (risk analyst, that pays well). We shall see. I just need to hear back, preferrably from the highest paying job first. :tongue:
  • chipper15173
    chipper15173 Posts: 3,981 Member
    Options
    lauryn....i think you may have hit it on the head....think, are you thinking? when you were binging and going over your calories your weight was hovering. when you stayed within your weight gained. you were still exercising. that tells me you need more calories. just not as much as the binging. did i explain that right? why aren't you working? i understand, any job, is a job. DH still hasn't found a job yet. found out yesterday unemployment won't kick in until the end of month. he puts in apps all over the place. God will provide, i have to keep that in the for front of my mind.

gym went well, muscle just weren't with it today. i am changing up my workout days, 2 on, 1 off. i think sometimes i over workout. i hear people say if you can't get your HR up you are over working. i do that at least 2 days a week. so cutting the workouts down some and changing days to see if it makes a difference for me.

later.
  • REDSOXGIRL13
    Options
    great job Harleygirl!:drinker: it will get easier with time...and then you know to step it up again...:laugh:

anyways... another hour at work... and then I am going to spin class with the girls... :bigsmile: Have a great night ladies... talk to ya in the AM! (hopefully I can stay motivated... the study group is getting PIZZA) :sick: :noway: :bigsmile:

Can you nuke a Smart Ones pizza instead???

:bigsmile: you would be proud... I made healthy honey baked chicken finger instead... yummy :bigsmile: NO PIZZA FOR ME.... one slice and then it is all over :laugh:
  • REDSOXGIRL13
    Options
    Lauryn, I personally find that when I've had a GREAT day of SUPER balanced macronutrients at even 2-3 hour intervals I'm not tempted by food after supper (and a not-too-huge supper at that). But if I've been slightly more lax during the day or not as balanced I definitely have to fight off the night munchies. Let's talk more about what you usually eat (I miss our menu posting habit) and when. May offer some great clues :heart:

Kristin, as Lauryn said, I wouldn't go back to "free time" for ANYTHING. Heck, even THINKING about it puts a lump in my throat. The lightening bolt of feeling the biggest love there is for the first time when you actually see and hold your baby is indescribable and certainly my most cherished and indelible moment. It changes you as a person and no matter what happens in your entire life, knowing THAT LOVE is an unshakable phenomenon. :heart: :heart: :heart: okay.. got to go squeeze my kiddos NOW!!! :bigsmile: :heart: :bigsmile:

Like Lauryn, I have not gained a whole lot, but I am not losing either. It is really hard for me to think of what I can and can't eat. I am hungry right now but I am SO concerned with calories and running out of them before dinner comes. I tried finding "meal plans" but a lot of them incorporate food I WON'T eat.

Lauryn - I am on advair right now. It has helped. I used to have a constant annoying cough. It has gotten better, and as for running. I am the same way...30 seconds and I AM DONE, which is really discouraging.

candy.. you lauryn and I are in the same boat... haven't gained (:bigsmile: ) but no major loss :grumble: I think it is because (not sure if this is true for you girls) but it is for me... I am in my "healthy" target zone... in terms of weight and BMI... and once you settle into that range I have found it takes MONTHS / even a YEAR to take off the last of the lbs.... not an easy road... but if you do it right and take it slow it will stay off... so I am, like I said at the start of this challenge, going to focus on a healthy life style and inches... because the inches (as lauryn said) really do show off all of our hard work...! :flowerforyou: stay strong... and it will come off (eventually) :flowerforyou:
  • REDSOXGIRL13
    Options
    lauryn....i think you may have hit it on the head....think, are you thinking? when you were binging and going over your calories your weight was hovering. when you stayed within your weight gained. you were still exercising. that tells me you need more calories. just not as much as the binging. did i explain that right? why aren't you working? i understand, any job, is a job. DH still hasn't found a job yet. found out yesterday unemployment won't kick in until the end of month. he puts in apps all over the place. God will provide, i have to keep that in the for front of my mind.

gym went well, muscle just weren't with it today. i am changing up my workout days, 2 on, 1 off. i think sometimes i over workout. i hear people say if you can't get your HR up you are over working. i do that at least 2 days a week. so cutting the workouts down some and changing days to see if it makes a difference for me.

later.

chipper... i think i have been overdoing it in the workout deptartment too... PEDAL? Advice :flowerforyou: Monday I do rope burn for 60 MIN (class @ the Y, jump rope, sprints, strength)... tuesday I do my Ab video in the AM then go to cardio kickboxing (60 min).... wednesday I do spin class... and thursday i do cardio kickboxing again.... Friday is an OFF day :happy: (although all off days include walking / jogging / rollerblade with the pup...) sat/sun I run with the BF and pup too... so what do you guys think too much??? :noway:
  • Redneckwoman
    Options
    Good Morning Ladies,

Hope everyone has a wonderful day today. I have another busy day ahead of me out in the sun. Today I get to tackle blackberry bushes and weedeat a big lot. So I should be pretty tired again.

Lauryn, I noticed that our goals are the same too. I was wondering are you have trouble with a stand still like I am? And what do you do for your workouts? I am usally getting my exercise durning the week at work. Unless I have a light day then I work out to a video or walk a couple of miles. I do personal workouts more often Fri and Sat. Sunday is my day off....You know laundry, housework and grocery shopping, etc. Like I said my day off LOL:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Kelly:heart:
  • harleygirl6363
    Options
    Good morning ladies,
    o I have been reading everyones posts about not being able to lose weight because they think they are in the healthy area, well II cant figure out why im not losing and Im not in the healthy area. Im still considered "obese"My first week and a half it flew off of me now Im at a sit still. Heres my background on what im doing maybe someone has an answer. When I was losing I wasnt working out, I just started my slim in 6 sereis. This will be day 3 for me. My diet is set at 1200 calories a day. I burned about 200 calories according to MFP (I dont have a HRM yet) a workout. I eat the calories so I can stay full and give my body the energy it needs. Im eating healthy foods and taking vitamins. ANyone have any ideas whats going on?? THANKS IN ADVANCE!!

With that Im going to chug a water and doing my morning workout.

Jess
  • PedalHound
    Options
    Em, I think you may notice a big difference in your progress and in your physique if you exchanged one and possibly two of your cardio days for a heavy focus on weight training. Hit the weights for an hour with a good routine (check out Oxygen Magazine - it's the only fitness mag I trust and would EVER recommend!! They also offer great routines). Not only will this define your body and give you more fat-burning muscle, you will shake up your system which usually helps the metabolism anyway. And YAY YOU for avoiding the pizza!

Lauryn, I totally agree with Cathy. Considering your eating patterns I'd say you need more calories. And being closer to a healthy weight means you need more calories anyway. Don't feel bad about discussing your foods, even if they're garbage. I think there are ways around schedule and budget and culinary aptitude or interest that can still let you eat well :wink: Great on you for the running!!!

Okay, I'm going to finish my long post about meals from yesterday (I hope)...
    So, I wrote down breakfast. I'll re-copy it here.

CANDY: As Cathy said too, the first thing I saw was not enough protein. I also noticed that you only have 17lbs to lose. I know that everyone's goals are significant and it's all relative, but when it comes to calories it makes a big difference. How tall are you? Even if you are quite short, when you're looking at 17 lbs I strongly suspect that 1200 calories a day is not enough. And if you have selected a 1lb a week loss then yes, MFP is already subtracting that 500 cals a day and if you work out you need to replace those calories otherwise you are actually creating more than a 500 calorie a day deficit which will cause your metabolism to slow to a crawl. Here are some tips right off the bat:
    eating lean protein along with complex carbohydrates at every sitting will keep your metabolism working at its best and will also allow you to feel satiated longer because your body works longer to break down the combo of protein and complex carbs than if you have either alone or other kinds of food. Also, starting off with a big glass of water when you wake up as well as a really well-rounded breakfast will make a huge difference to the rest of your day. I am breastfeeding so I decided to keep my daily cals around 1500 which I honestly don't think is too far off what you should aim for. Here's an example of my day, food-wise.

meal 1: 1 cup cooked rolled oats w/ 1/2 cup berries (today was a mix of strawberries and blueberries), 1 tbsp honey, 2 tbsp flax meal, 1 tbsp wheat germ plus 1/2 cup organic cottage cheese (this is for clean protein though you can easily replace this with some scrambled egg whites and low-sodium salsa. I like to get the organic cottage cheese because it has only 25mg of sodium per 1/2 cup, 24g of protein and because it has almost no flavour it mixes in without making much of a difference). This is 380 calories and a VERY hearty, tasty and brilliantly balanced meal.

meal 2: 1 egg & 3 egg white omelet with asparagus, 3 cherry tomatoes & 2 tbsp chevre, 1 gala apple

meal 3: vanilla blueberry protein shake (1 cup skim milk, 1/2 cup frozen unsweetened blueberries, 1 scoop vanilla flavoured whey protein isolate) made with a blender or hand blender.

meal 4: 1 slice of Ezekiel bread (you can find these at stores that carry healthier and / or organic selections but it's a bread made of sprouted grains) with 2 tbsp hummus (check sodium content or make your own... SUPER easy, cheap and healthy! You can add different herbs or vegetables...)

Meal 5: 1 palm-sized oven baked coho salmon fillet seasoned w/ Mrs. Dash no sodium lemon pepper seasoning (or if you don't want the fish you could have chicken breast or turkey breast or pork tenderloin or bison steak...), 1 cup lightly steamed green beans, 1 medium sweet potato oven-baked and served w/ 1/4 cup of homemade dip (fat free plain yogurt, 1 tsp garlic powder, 2 tsp dried dill)

This menu came in at about 1500 calories. Each meal has a balance of carbs, healthy fats and protein as well as a great & steady amount of fibre through the day and only 828mg of sodium for the whole day.

Another big thing I noticed about your day was orange juice. Personally, aside from the rare occasion, I avoid fruit juices. They cause a huge blood sugar spike and trigger a huge release of insulin (which encourages fat storage, by the way) and also causes a crash within a couple of hours that will definitely make you feel more hungry than you should. Having a banana in the same sitting increases that effect since, though they're a great food to include in your menu and have valuable nutrients, are also higher in sugar.
    Be careful of the ingredients in things like low-cal dressings. It's so much better to do something like make a small batch of your own (some olive oil, balsamic vinegar, pepper, fresh herbs like basil and oregano, maybe some re-hydrated sundried tomato or roasted red pepper...) because you can control the sodium and eliminate the many horrid additives that come along with a product that has been made "low cal". The presence of these artificial or highly-processed compounds are confusing to your body and the cleaner the food going in can be, the more smoothly your body will operate!!
    For salads, if you can, always replace or at least supplement part of your greens with baby spinach. It's sweet and not as chewy as mature spinach and if you add red peppers or a berry to your salad as well, you're getting a whopping dose of nutrients and higher absorption of the nutrients in the vit. C foods and the spinach.
    Hummus is a great replacement for margarine on toast and in sandwiches because it has the moistening effect that margarine or butter but skips the fat, salt, additives and adds the oh-so-important boost of protein.
    If you can, you should taper your calories down toward the end of the day but if you've worked out (ESPECIALLY if it's weight training), you should make sure to get some protein in with supper or, if you're genuinely hungry before bed, have a couple of slices of low-fat cheese. This will assure that your body has some protein on-hand for muscle repair while you sleep.
    So... have I given you *quite* enough info yet :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I'll leave it at that for now but honestly, let me know what you think so far! :flowerforyou:

Alright, I'm starving so I need real breakfast. I had an apple and did a 5k speed work run today which just about killed me. I did an hour-long intense weight session yesterday afternoon of course on the heels of my 7.65k run on Tuesday morning so I think I'm about due for some relaxing! :laugh: Have a great one ladies! It's Ava's dance show tonight and we're having her best friend (who is also in the class) and family over for homemade (healthy!) pizza beforehand. Busy day ahead.
  • PedalHound
    Options
    Good morning ladies,
    o I have been reading everyones posts about not being able to lose weight because they think they are in the healthy area, well II cant figure out why im not losing and Im not in the healthy area. Im still considered "obese"My first week and a half it flew off of me now Im at a sit still. Heres my background on what im doing maybe someone has an answer. When I was losing I wasnt working out, I just started my slim in 6 sereis. This will be day 3 for me. My diet is set at 1200 calories a day. I burned about 200 calories according to MFP (I dont have a HRM yet) a workout. I eat the calories so I can stay full and give my body the energy it needs. Im eating healthy foods and taking vitamins. ANyone have any ideas whats going on?? THANKS IN ADVANCE!!

With that Im going to chug a water and doing my morning workout.

Jess

Ok, quickly.. I'm going on the 1200 cal rant again. For 2 weeks (eventhough it's scary) try increasing to 1400 cals a day and keep at your workouts and good nutrition. For most people with 40lbs to lose, 1200 is too low. :flowerforyou: