I ate more than my allowance in one meal

Options

Replies

• GroupXZ
    GroupXZ Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    It is not impossible to burn 2000 calories. I walk on the treadmill at a pace of 4.5 and going by its HRM I burn 512 calories in 30 minutes. i still would not eat all that though, that is just me though. I used to eat greasy food all my life, now that I started to loose weight I question what is in it and is it healthy for me. If I want a treat I grab 24 Blue Diamond mint chocolate chip almonds. They are really no different from eating the plain version plus I get that mint chocolate taste.
  • tgzerozone
    tgzerozone Posts: 160
    Options
    Strange is all I can say. I can see why so many people fail with the whole weight loss thing.
  • thomassd1969
    thomassd1969 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    This is what I do too. If I feel that there is something I cant have I will just fail. So I just plan my day around it. I watch what I eat and exercise accordingly so I can have what I am craving. Good job.
  • tgzerozone
    Options
    Having everything you are craving in one sitting is not going to help. There is a reason why you need 5 or so meals a day.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    And even sometimes, if it's NOT in your caloric limits, it's ok. I just got back from a Vegas vacation and you can bet your *kitten* I didn't hit the gym and I drank a lot of champagne and ate a lot of unhealthy food. I did walk a lot, but I wasn't exactly paying attention to my nutrition or anything. Just got back the other day and guess what? My weight is the exact same and I got back on track as soon as I got back in town.

Live a little :)
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Having everything you are craving in one sitting is not going to help. There is a reason why you need 5 or so meals a day.

Prove it.
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options
    Strange is all I can say. I can see why so many people fail with the whole weight loss thing.

• tgzerozone
    Options

Prove it.

Don't have to, it's already been done, plenty of scientific prove for you.

How bout you cut out all your meals, and eat all your calories in one meal everyday and then we can all see what your results will be?

Anyways, not my problem. I find it strange that people come on here, to better their lives and get into shape, and then indulge in the same things that got them where they are in the first place? It is not normal to eat 1800 calories in one meal, that to me is gluttonous, and the reason why there is an obesity epidemic.

Furthermore, the amount of time it would take to burn those 2000 cals (If ever) is definitely not the most effective exercise regime. Yea, it would probably burn alot of fat (Which sorry to say, all which have been restored again with your 1800 cal meal) and muscle unfortunately.

So to me, what you achieved was, burning a crap load of muscle, seeing that you have possibly just restored all your fat again that you got rid off.

Even if you had 1800 calories of vegetables I would call it stupid, but even worse is having 1800 cals of what you did. I'm all for treats, hell, I had mcdonals the other night, but I didn't empty their stock. And I'm trying to gain weight.

But hey, ;), not my problem aye?
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options

Prove it.

How bout you cut out all your meals, and eat all your calories in one meal everyday and then we can all see what your results will be?

Anyways, not my problem. I find it strange that people come on here, to better their lives and get into shape, and then indulge in the same things that got them where they are in the first place? It is not normal to eat 1800 calories in one meal, that to me is gluttonous, and the reason why there is an obesity epidemic.

Furthermore, the amount of time it would take to burn those 2000 cals (If ever) is definitely not the most effective exercise regime. Yea, it would probably burn alot of fat (Which sorry to say, all which have been restored again with your 1800 cal meal) and muscle unfortunately.

So to me, what you achieved was, burning a crap load of muscle, seeing that you have possibly just restored all your fat again that you got rid off.

Even if you had 1800 calories of vegetables I would call it stupid, but even worse is having 1800 cals of what you did. I'm all for treats, hell, I had mcdonals the other night, but I didn't empty their stock. And I'm trying to gain weight.

In response to the plenty of scientific proof out there
    http://www.leangains.com/2010/10/top-ten-fasting-myths-debunked.html

And in response to the body dropping all 1800 calories into fat (which is barely half a pound) and taking all of the exercise from muscle. It's not quite that extreme.
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/what-defines-cardio-in-terms-of-too-much-qa.html

Neither are scientific case studies, but they both have a fair amount of evidence behind them.

And 1800 calories is pretty easy to hit at McDonalds without 'emptying their stock'. Your definition of gluttony and mine seem to be two very different things. 1800 calories really isn't that hard to hit (ever had a Wendy's Triple Baconator? It's AWESOME). Good luck with your own goals, but plenty of people use the strategy of a cheat meal where they do go overboard very infrequently (I have two coming up, my bachelor party and my wedding, and I guarantee you I'm going to blow that 1800 bar out of the water and enjoy every second of it) and still have good success.
  • tgzerozone
    Options
    Go for it.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Prove it.

You fail to take into consideration of BMR + NEAT, you don't have to exercise off 2k cals

Meal frequency is mostly irrelevant to body composition
  • zombilishious
    zombilishious Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    mmmmm.....I have to admit I have been strong enough not to indulge in Girl Scout cookies or a shamrock shake this year. (well, actually, I had 2 Dosidos dipped in skim milk one night and bought my son a shake just so I could take a sip! I think I just failed to log them :blushing: ) ....
  • ck1416
    ck1416 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I can relate! :ohwell: A few days into joining mfp, after logging my food after a Friday night date, I found I ate and drank 3,900 calories for ONE MEAL! The scale reflected that the next day. But a few days later, the scale was back to where it had been, and then was dropping quickly and steadily. It was a learning experience. :smile: And my Friday night dates have changed and I calculate what I am going to eat and drink BEFOREHAND. :blushing:
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options

Who said that was his only meal of the day??
  • tinkermommc
    tinkermommc Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Wow I love the people questioning the calories! I believe you :-)

But I do think this post is in the wrong category...That is a NSV to fit into your daily calories!! This should be a success story!!!
  • tgzerozone
    Options

Well, you may just be right. If he had his other meals he would be sitting on 4000 cals then for the day. Way to go.

EDIT: Yea, and I already anticipate your next post, don't worry. As said earlier, if that is how other people do things, not my problem. It goes against everything. I'll just do what I do and then everyone is happy. :)
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options

Well, you may just be right. If he had his other meals he would be sitting on 4000 cals then for the day. Way to go.

No, he said he was still within his calorie allowance due to the earned exercise calories - you are jumping to conclusions with the 4000 calories.
  • sgha
    sgha Posts: 225
    Options
    " I burned nearly 2,000 calories at the gym today"

OMG - aside from the time you spent eateng the shamrock shake and tacos did you spent the rest of your day at the gym??? Thats crazy burn? What did you do?

125 minutes on pretty serious hills on the recumbent bike. if you keep the rpm up right about 100, you burn pretty well.

Good job. Riding a recumbent on hills...you go, you!! Hills are hard enough on an upright.....
  • xxCelestexx
    xxCelestexx Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I had a small shamrock shake yesterday no whip cream and it fit in my calories. Its the last chance to get them for a year so I dont feel bad about it. I know not to go it regularly.
  • tgzerozone
    Options
    As said, if you want to eat your calorie allowance (or half of it if that helps) in one sitting, go for it.

I split mine into several meals (As any nutritionist as well as myfitnesspal would tell you). Meaning, I would've maybe had 500 cals instead of the 1800 and I still would've had a treat.