Messing with complete strangers is such fun

Options

Replies

• _binary_jester_
    _binary_jester_ Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    Two just came to mind.

In a grocery line, I told a cashier I wasn't going to pay for the 2 12-packs of sodas under my cart because I was practicing shoplifting, but I am not very good at it. She stared at me for about 10 seconds not knowing how to respond.

At work my coworkers bought me Brokeback Mountain as a secret Santa gift (inside joke). They also gave me the receipt. When i returned it to BestBuy, she asked me if there was anything wrong. I said [lisp]I am waiting for the unrated version to come out GIRL[/lisp] and gave her a little wink. I could actually HEAR how uncomfortable she was.

I know I am not the only one who derives pleasure out of this, right?

I'm offended! No not by the cashier one, but by the BestBuy one. I have a sister who works at BestBuy, and she's had some really awful customers before! Since you made a joke and involved BestBuy, even though your joke had NOTHING to do with physical harm, I'm going to relate it to an event where my sister felt she was in danger.
    I am at a loss.

Listen. I am not saying I ever physically threatened people. I didn't feel the need to post the conversation afterwards. Surprisingly there were none who were cringing with fear afterwards.
    And absolutely there have been a couple of times my joke went over like a lead balloon.

Regardless i thought is was funny, and as long as I am amused, that all that's really important.

Edit

...and after re-reading...I just might have missed the sarcasm.

Hanging my head.
  • SwannySez
    SwannySez Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    NONE OF THIS IS FUNNY AND I AM REPORTING YOU ALL!!!!!
  • jfrog123
    jfrog123 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I went to McD's and ordered a happy meal. I got in my car and got in the drive thru lane and ordered a happy meal. When I got up to the window I said, "Okay, that was one happy meal right?" and handed the happy meal I bought inside to the cashier. Then I drove away. It sounds stupid to me now, but at the time she was literally scratching her head in confusion and I was laughing so hard I almost peed my pants.

I was speeding and a police officer pulled me over. When he approached my car I turned my head and looked him straight in the eye and said, "Excuse me sir. Do you know why you pulled me over today?" He actually laughed and said no one had ever done that to him before, but I still got a ticket :-(

I was at the hardware store buying paint and the guy behind the counter was mixing paint and checking it, then closing the cans. I stood there for about five minutes waiting my turn and all of the sudden he falls back like somebody punched him and lands on the floor. I asked if he was okay and he said he was. Then he tells me he thought he was grabbing a can of paint and accidentally opened a can of whoop *kitten* instead. I am sure he had done it a thousand times, but it was a new one to me. Got him through the day. I will admit after I saw him do it I did it myself (although it was in the kitchen at home and I told my husband I thought I was opening a can of peas).
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    My daughter is reading this over my shoulder, and just said all those 'original' jokes you make, she hears 50 times during the day. So, those 'cracked smiles' are forced.

I have a sense of humor. You just aren't funny.

Your daughter seems like the b*tchy cashiers I was talking about.
  • JaySpice
    JaySpice Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I was visiting my mother in the hospital last year with two of my daughters (15 and 13). We were the only three in the elevator when a large woman gets on. She stands literally 3 inches in front of my 13 year old facing the door and doesn't move. My daughter started making faces at her behind her back (which was quite close) and we tried very hard not to giggle. Seriously, this lady was definitely invading some personal space. What is even funnier is the size of this lady compared to the size of my daugher. She is about 4'10" and 90lbs. Very little.

Yeah I don't like people in my personal space if they can help it. But I also don't have a problem removing someone from my personal space. *cracks knuckles*
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    I am at a loss.

Listen. I am not saying I ever physically threatened people. I didn't feel the need to post the conversation afterwards. Surprisingly there were none who were cringing with fear afterwards.
    And absolutely there have been a couple of times my joke went over like a lead balloon.

Regardless i thought is was funny, and as long as I am amused, that all that's really important.

Edit

...and after re-reading...I just might have missed the sarcasm.

Hanging my head.

Clowns that miss sarcasm...what is this world coming to? 2012 may truly be the end times =)
  • jennp1129
    jennp1129 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    NONE OF THIS IS FUNNY AND I AM REPORTING YOU ALL!!!!!

Umm I'm a riot! So take that!
  • nakabi
    nakabi Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    When I was a Farmer's Insurance agent, my dad became a district manager. During part of is orientation he toured the regional office. In the underwriting department, he was amused to find two of my letters up on their bulletin board.

The first pertained to an underwriting notice I had gotten asking me if the homeowner's policy should be cancelled because the policy holder had put in a change of mailing address. My response: No, they couldn't fit all the furniture into the Post Office Box, so they decided to keep the house.

The second was in response to a directive from underwriting telling me that a policy holder's policy would be cancelled on renewal due to the increased probability of liability because of the homeowner owning a dog that had bitten a jogger. The poor lady had already had her dog put to sleep and was just devastated and then to have her policy cancelled on top of that seemed pretty harsh. My response: There is no increased possibility of liability due to the policy holder owning a dog that has bitten because she had the dog put to sleep. Corpse to follow for your records.

As a fellow insurance agent, I appreciate these especially :)
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options

My daughter's first day of cashiering, some guy came up to her and said, "You're lucky I don't have my gun. I'd shoot you if I did."

Some jokes aren't funny at all.
    That is not a joke at all... it is a threat.. and threats are not funny.

I used to think that too, but everyone seems to laugh at my threats. We'll see how hard they're laughing when I am wearing their heads as hats!

Okay...so this guy was random. Just walking by. Looked crazy as a loon, and threatened to shoot my daughter. Haha! Funny. Right. And there was no punchline, either. She feared he might be getting his gun to shoot her and couldn't leave her post. Great. That guy sure made my daughter piss her pants, but not from laughing.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    When I was a Farmer's Insurance agent, my dad became a district manager. During part of is orientation he toured the regional office. In the underwriting department, he was amused to find two of my letters up on their bulletin board.

The first pertained to an underwriting notice I had gotten asking me if the homeowner's policy should be cancelled because the policy holder had put in a change of mailing address. My response: No, they couldn't fit all the furniture into the Post Office Box, so they decided to keep the house.

The second was in response to a directive from underwriting telling me that a policy holder's policy would be cancelled on renewal due to the increased probability of liability because of the homeowner owning a dog that had bitten a jogger. The poor lady had already had her dog put to sleep and was just devastated and then to have her policy cancelled on top of that seemed pretty harsh. My response: There is no increased possibility of liability due to the policy holder owning a dog that has bitten because she had the dog put to sleep. Corpse to follow for your records.
    I went to McD's and ordered a happy meal. I got in my car and got in the drive thru lane and ordered a happy meal. When I got up to the window I said, "Okay, that was one happy meal right?" and handed the happy meal I bought inside to the cashier. Then I drove away. It sounds stupid to me now, but at the time she was literally scratching her head in confusion and I was laughing so hard I almost peed my pants.

I was speeding and a police officer pulled me over. When he approached my car I turned my head and looked him straight in the eye and said, "Excuse me sir. Do you know why you pulled me over today?" He actually laughed and said no one had ever done that to him before, but I still got a ticket :-(

I was at the hardware store buying paint and the guy behind the counter was mixing paint and checking it, then closing the cans. I stood there for about five minutes waiting my turn and all of the sudden he falls back like somebody punched him and lands on the floor. I asked if he was okay and he said he was. Then he tells me he thought he was grabbing a can of paint and accidentally opened a can of whoop *kitten* instead. I am sure he had done it a thousand times, but it was a new one to me. Got him through the day. I will admit after I saw him do it I did it myself (although it was in the kitchen at home and I told my husband I thought I was opening a can of peas).

These have me in tears right now! I am laughing so hard.... thanks for making my inane workday go by faster.
  • TK266
    TK266 Posts: 3,689 Member
    Options
    My daughter's first day of cashiering, some guy came up to her and said, "You're lucky I don't have my gun. I'd shoot you if I did."

Actually see was bagging, and he tapped her on the shoulder and said that. It was chilling, really.

I call BS!!!!!

Having worked in a grocery store for 8 years, I can see this happening. I had people scream at me over the price of milk, threaten me because I refused to sell alcohol due to their intoxication, I had to break up several fights and many more fun adventure. And this was in a "good" neighborhood. I am sure most people who did customer service jobs for a while would have similar stories. :smile:
  • _binary_jester_
    Options

I used to think that too, but everyone seems to laugh at my threats. We'll see how hard they're laughing when I am wearing their heads as hats!

Okay...so this guy was random. Just walking by. Looked crazy as a loon, and threatened to shoot my daughter. Haha! Funny. Right. And there was no punchline, either. She feared he might be getting his gun to shoot her and couldn't leave her post. Great. That guy sure made my daughter piss her pants, but not from laughing.
    sar·chasm ('sär-"ka-z&m) : The giant gulf (chasm) between what is said and the person who doesn't get it.
  • JaySpice
    Options

-_-

Well if he walked, looked and acted like a loon then....dun dun dun....maybe he was a loon. If there was not a punchline then why the h e double hockey sticks did she or YOU think it was joke?!
  • paisley2288
    paisley2288 Posts: 913 Member
    Options

Go start your own thread, please. You're bringing me down.
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options

Actually see was bagging, and he tapped her on the shoulder and said that. It was chilling, really.

I call BS!!!!!

Having worked in a grocery store for 8 years, I can see this happening. I had people scream at me over the price of milk, threaten me because I refused to sell alcohol due to their intoxication, I had to break up several fights and many more fun adventure. And this was in a "good" neighborhood. I am sure most people who did customer service jobs for a while would have similar stories. :smile:

^^EXACTLY!
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options

Seriously though, why would you or your daughter think that this was a joke in anyway? I just don't understand... even if he said "I was just joking" it wasn't a joke and I don't see how it pertains to what is being discussed on this thread.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options

How is that at ALL related to a joke that has absolutely no physical harm you could possibly derive from it?
  • JaySpice
    Options

sar·chasm ('sär-"ka-z&m) : The giant gulf (chasm) between what is said and the person who doesn't get it.

Coming from the guy that just missed it.

But seriously I had to read it like 2 times myself. But Lenard helped me with my Sheldon moment.
  • SwannySez
    SwannySez Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options

-_-

Well if he walked, looked and acted like a loon then....dun dun dun....maybe he was a loon. If there was not a punchline then why the h e double hockey sticks did she or YOU think it was joke?!

If he was a real loon I think she would have known him by his feathers.
  • _binary_jester_
    Options

I call BS!!!!!

I used to work in a pharmacy and had to call a postal worker to tell them their workman's comp was no longer covering their anti-psychotics. I used to get yelled at daily dealing with irate customers.

There is a huge difference between being an *kitten* and simply trying to lighten their day.