Who cares about being a size 0?

Options
I read on MSN some info on Marilyn Monroe and from what I read idk if this is 100% true but she ranged from a size 10 to a size 16 at her highest. But mostley stayed around a 10-12 size. If she were here today she would probably be in the tabloids and called fat like Adele is called because she didn't weigh 105 lbs like actresses today do. I wanted to share this info because I think sometimes we beat ourselves up for maybe not reaching our goal weight. But we should tell ourselves who cares what Hollywood calls "beautiful." I don't care if im not a size 0-2 because Marilyn Monroe wasn't that size either.

Replies

• teagin2002
    teagin2002 Posts: 1,901 Member
    Options
    I agree, and I believe Marilyn oscillated between a 10 and a 16, and at the height of her career was a 12.

We need to learn to love ourselves for everything we are and just keep working out and becoming healthier people. I believe with time the size/shape and weight of our bodies will change, and because it is gradual it will be a more permanent and lasting change as well. :flowerforyou:
  • estitom
    estitom Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    That's so true!

I also think it's interesting to see how many slightly overweight girls get lots of guys. They show that beauty and attraction rely on so many more things than body size.
  • daisymae9801
    daisymae9801 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    You have to remember sizes were a lot smaller then...what was a 12 back then is probably an 8 now. I read an article about an estate sale for some of her clothing...and people were surprised at just how tiny they actually were.
  • maddiedog22
    maddiedog22 Posts: 116
    Options
    You have to remember sizes were a lot smaller then...what was a 12 back then is probably an 8 now. I read an article about an estate sale for some of her clothing...and people were surprised at just how tiny they actually were.

I have always been confused about her also I saw a pic once with her measurements and they were fairly small number I remember thinking some of her measurements were the same as mine
  • Improvised
    Improvised Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    I'd LOVE to be a size 0, to be perfectly honest. I've never been in that size, so it would be nice to know I could.
  • djlindstrom
    Options
    I don't care what the size is when I get to my final goal.. I just want to look heathy, with the proper curves of a woman, and not look gaunt and anorexic. How many of those size 0 - 2 celebs really look healthy? I think they look ill.
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    Okay, Marilyn was those sizes back then. Her sizes compared to today would range from a 0-6.
  • EmCarroll1990
    Options
    I don't care what the size is when I get to my final goal.. I just want to look heathy, with the proper curves of a woman, and not look gaunt and anorexic. How many of those size 0 - 2 celebs really look healthy? I think they look ill.

Don't start with the skinny bashing now...
  • lillithemaculate
    Options
    I think you're right about the sizes being smaller then, and she would have been a 14 (uk size). She had a lovely figure. But I'd never want to be below the size my body should be. I'm not sure what size that is, but I vaguely being my ideal weight at a size 12 (bottom) and 14 top) which is a fine enough goal for me now. I've known men who have loved me being that size 12, and men who thought I was skinny and preferred me at a 14. But the one's that really love me for me.... love me not my size. I'm a 16 bottom and 18 top (due to a generous bust, but am aiming for my size 12 bottom and 14 top again.That would be achievement enough. :bigsmile:
  • notgivingup2012
    Options

I agree with you!! I would rather be curvey with a healthy BMI. I think with my bone structure I would look very ill at 115 lbs.
  • PoochPottery
    Options
    I agree but you have to realize that sizes back in the 50's are different from the sizes of today:

"Her measurements were recorded by her dressmaker as 36-23-37 and sometimes fluctuated between that and 36-24-37".

Clothing sizes irritate me!!!!! Why can't clothing be labeled for the size it is and not a random number!!
  • sobriquet84
    sobriquet84 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    she was a 10 to 16 in HER DAY, which is like a 6 to 10 in modern sizing.
  • EyeHeartCandii0912
    Options

Not skinny bashing, calling it like it is.

real woman are not sticks.
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    I have no desire at all to be a size 0. When I was sick a few years back and size 2, I was miserable and weak. So much happier being an 8!:smile: And I am not skinny bashing as I was skinny and fine with it most of my life, just not for me now that I'm 40 and had three kids.:wink:
  • djlindstrom
    Options
    :flowerforyou:

lol.. it wasn't meant as skinny bashing. That's just my honest opinion. Sorry if I offended.
  • Kenzietea2
    Kenzietea2 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    she was a 10 to 16 in HER DAY, which is an 8 to 12 in modern sizing.

Very true,
    but with that being said, she'd probably still be in the tabloids for being fat now-a-days.
  • EmCarroll1990
    Options

Actually it totally is skinny bashing. So if "real women are not sticks" then are large people not real women then? Oh please, enlighten me with your definition of a "real woman."
  • ShanniLee
    ShanniLee Posts: 69
    Options

This = Thumbs up :)
  • I wouldn't ever want too be a size 0 I want to be a 14 that too me is the perfect size!
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Options

Actually it totally is skinny bashing. So if "real women are not sticks" then are large people not real women then? Oh please, enlighten me with your definition of a "real woman."

Thank you. I am a size 3 and can squeeze into a 1. A little more fall loss around my thighs and I could be in a size zero.

Try and tell me I am not healthy.
This discussion has been closed.