Quinoa? What is your favorite recipe

Options
Hollybot
Hollybot Posts: 108 Member
Hello MFPers! So my mother just gave me a giant bag of quinoa and I have no clue what to do with it. Not to toot my own horn, but I am a pretty good cook (toot toot) and still have no idea what to do with it. What is your FAVORITE way to use it. All recipes welcome :)

Replies

• unrulygurl
    unrulygurl Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I cook it in chicken broth with garlic, then add some roasted peppers, onions & corn. :happy: Yummy!
  • purplegoboom
    purplegoboom Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Stuffed bell peppers! Use the quinoa in place of rice.
  • ldgram
    ldgram Posts: 2
    Options
    I cook it in chicken broth. When done I put it in a large bowl and add cherry tomatoes (sliced in half), sliced green onions, some crumbled feta cheese, and sliced roasted chicken. You can add a small amount of olive oil if you want it a bit moister.
  • jgerbe2
    jgerbe2 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jj3120
    jj3120 Posts: 358
    Options
    Watching with interest - just brought my first pack of Quinoa as lots of people recommend it.
  • hbart500
    hbart500 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    bump
  • AliceKlaar
    AliceKlaar Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Same way I like couscous - cooked and cooled, then mixed with chopped onion, peppers, cucumber, mint, lemon juice, seasoning, feta cheese and sundried tomatoes/olive oil (calories permitting on the last two!).
  • Murfee61
    Murfee61 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I stuff portabello caps with it. I mix it with cumin, corn and feta cheese. scrape the mushroom fins out, fill with the mixture and bake for about 15 minutes. So good!.
    I use quinoa in place of any rice. I also like to eat it with parmasean cheese.So good for you! High protein grain.
  • Hollybot
    Hollybot Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    That is perfect, as I made chicken stock yesterday and had no idea what to do with it!!!

Here is a recipe I am looking forward to. I live with a vegetarian who is an aweful cool, so I enjoy making things we both eat

http://www.canyoustayfordinner.com/2012/01/04/loaded-quinoa-veggie-burgers/
  • debwaid
    debwaid Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Cheesy Quinoa Bites
    Makes ~28 bites
    2 cups cooked quinoa
    2 large eggs
    1 cup shredded carrot
    2 stalks green onion, diced
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
    1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
    2 Tbs all-purpose flour
    1/2 tsp seasoning salt
    1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
    1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
    2. Mix together quinoa, carrot, egg, green onion, garlic, cilantro, cheese, flour, salt and pepper.
    3. Distribute mixture into a greased mini muffin tin, filling each cup to the top (1 heaping Tbs each).
    4. Bake for 15-20 minutes.

photo-1.jpg

These are so good!!
  • sexyshel17
    sexyshel17 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    http://monicanelsonfitness.com/blog/meals/quinoa-mac-n-cheese/

We tried this recipe. I liked it. My 4 year did not buy it. Its not the REAL Mac and Cheese so it doesn't count. But it was good
  • claudiandw
    claudiandw Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Quinoa, Apple, Cranberry, and Feta Salad

1 cup chopped walnuts, divided
    3 cups quinoa, cooked (about 1 cup uncooked)
    2 apples, peeled and cut in 3/4-inch cubes
    1/2 cup diced celery
    1/2 cup dried cranberries, chopped
    2/3 cup feta cheese, crumbled
    6 green onions, diced or snipped, bulbs discarded
    1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil, a fruity one
    2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
    sea salt and fresh black pepper

Instructions

In a small skillet over medium heat toast walnuts about 5 minutes stirring often. Remove and allow to cool. Add olive oil, 1/3 cup of the toasted walnuts and lemon juice to a food processor. Pulse until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.

In a large bowl combine quinoa, apples, cranberries, feta cheese, green onions and the remaining walnuts. Pour dressing over top and stir well. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Best eaten at room temperature.
  • hellraisedfire
    hellraisedfire Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I cook it in some kind of broth, it's sometimes bland without it. if you cook it in water it needs to be salted water. I like to add (very) sauted onions (I hate that bitter crunch...), sometimes I add zucchini. I really like to add chopped nuts or sesame seeds. I toast them first :) it's strange, but I really just love quinoa plain! it has a fantastic nutty flavor. I bet chopped beef would be good in it! I also get these... pearl onions in a cream sauce from bird's eye. they're in the frozen section, and all you need to do is warm it up. I love putting them in quinoa too. one serving is 60 calories, and it's really yummy!
  • Pohudet
    Pohudet Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    My new thing with quinoa is that i use the leftover cold quinoa on my salad , regular california salad, baby greens, tomatos, maybe avocado... It is especially good when i add some fresh mint to it, gives you some sort of middle easter flavor.
    Normally, we cook it like rice and eat it like you would eat rice.
  • uyedej
    uyedej Posts: 18
    Options
    I just made a ginger edamame quinoa dish that was pretty good..and very high in protein. I got it from the Quinoa 365 cookbook. :)
  • tgaul
    tgaul Posts: 123
    Options
    bump!
  • Janiece65
    Janiece65 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I just cook it up, then add sauteed sweet peppers, yellow squash, zucchini and onion, garlic, parsley, salt and pepper to taste. At the very last minute, stir in about 4 oz of soft goat cheese. My favorite side dish!
  • alohabrie
    alohabrie Posts: 204
    Options
    Must go buy some!
  • doonesbury
    doonesbury Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    BaDumBump!