Quinoa? What is your favorite recipe

Options

Replies

• lauren3382
    lauren3382 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Marking to read. I'm trying to make myself like quinoa. I cannot stomach it plain. Maybe I'll try cooking it in low sodium chicken broth for some flavor.
  • lauren3382
    lauren3382 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    BUMPING! :-)

Where do you buy it?

I've bought it in the health food section of my Kroger and also at Trader Joes.
  • daniellemitchell0020
    Options
    bump
  • kenlad64
    kenlad64 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    OK, after reading all that I am starving, it all sounds sooo good. Time to start jotting down some of these ideas!
  • valerie521
    valerie521 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I substitute macaroni for quinoa - I melt cheese (usually the Laughing Cow chipolte cheese wedge(s) for a creaminess) in it and it makes a great side!
    Its also good cooked in broth rather than water, with some fresh herbs stirred in. I've also done it in a stirfry, instead of rice.

Have fun cooking!

OMG -- what a GREAT idea. This sounds amazing. I love Quinoa but have never had it quite like this.
    putting on my list and with chipolte cheese wedge - OMG
  • GuitarDreamer131
    GuitarDreamer131 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My favorite quinoa dish I've been cooking recently is to start sauteing some onions, peppers, and garlic. Then I will add the quinoa to that along with the required amount of chicken/vegetable broth. Then I will add a bunch of seasonings like cayenne pepper, cumin, pepper, etc as well as some lean andouille chicken sausage. You can add salt to taste, but be careful about adding too much salt, as the sausage usually has plenty and as it cooks with the quinoa it tends to disperse throughout. You can also add your favorite beans (such as black or pinto) and some corn as well.

Let that all cook down and then have a nice meal!
  • GuitarDreamer131
    GuitarDreamer131 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Marking to read. I'm trying to make myself like quinoa. I cannot stomach it plain. Maybe I'll try cooking it in low sodium chicken broth for some flavor.

Yeah you can't cook it in just water. I learned that the hard way a long time ago. Chicken/Vegetable broth is a must.
  • toysbigkid
    toysbigkid Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    bumping, OMG!!!! those q. burgers look fantastic!!!!!!
  • DEEDLYNN
    DEEDLYNN Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    bump
  • eeebee
    eeebee Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    so many great ideas :love:
  • jennt_22
    jennt_22 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    bump!!! so much goodness :)
  • patchesgizmo
    patchesgizmo Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jenngi620
    jenngi620 Posts: 51
    Options
    bump
  • SheilAnneSmith
    SheilAnneSmith Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    bump
  • aphillips8180
    aphillips8180 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • shayne707
    shayne707 Posts: 4
    Options
    Same way I like couscous - cooked and cooled, then mixed with chopped onion, peppers, cucumber, mint, lemon juice, seasoning, feta cheese and sundried tomatoes/olive oil (calories permitting on the last two!).

^this^ with black olives too
  • cjack19
    cjack19 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    bumping for ideas :)
  • Amestris
    Amestris Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    bump
  • DarkNebula84
    DarkNebula84 Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Quinoa black bean casserole :heart: my kids even love it! Under 300 calories per serving

http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=1239857
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I cook in chicken broth..then saute in butter with some garlic and piri piri seasoning..gives it a toasty taste