Quinoa? What is your favorite recipe

Options

Replies

• tlcbrew69
    tlcbrew69 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I cook it in vegetable broth, (1 part quinoa to 2 parts broth) for 15 minutes. Then saute red, green, and yellow peppers with red onion and garlic in olive oil. Toss in some fresh chopped basil, combine with cooked quinoa...and YUM!
  • Laceybaby1967
    Laceybaby1967 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Quinoa turkey casserole: Preheat oven at 350 degrees. In a big pot, brown some ground turkey on medium high heat, remove and set aside. In the same pot, add olive oil, and saute chopped onions, chopped carrots, chopped zuchinni, and chopped red bell peppers. When cooked, add 20oz of your favorite salsa and 20oz of water (just fill the jar with water, and pour it in). Add the ground turkey. Reduce heat to simmer for 10-15 minutes until it's almost 'stew-like'. Get a 9x13 dish, and at the bottom put rinsed, uncooked quinoa, then top with the turkey/veggie mixture. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes.
  • FunandFitMom
    FunandFitMom Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I use it in place of rice for stir fry or as a quick shot of fiber in a veggie salad.
  • skullik
    skullik Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Made some Beet-Feta-Quinoa Salad last night, it was delicious.

3 servings:
    3 beets, cooked and sliced
    1.5 cups cooked quinoa (cooked with chicken broth)
    1 onion (I fried 3/4 in a little oil until browned, added the rest raw)
    1 tbsp olive oil
    8 oz feta cheese
    2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
    pepper
    cherry tomatoes
    chopped parsley

It was delicious!

Make sure you rinse the quinoa really well (3 minutes) with warm water if you did not get it pre-washed!
  • Becca308
    Becca308 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Bump for these wonderful recipes!
  • claudiandw
    claudiandw Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Quinoa is my new favorite food! I made these last night and they were really good.

Quinoa Burgers

2 rounded cups cooked quinoa (see note below for cooking instructions)
    3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese (or other variety, if you prefer)
    1/2 cup low-fat cottage cheese
    1 medium carrot, finely grated (OR 1 cup shredded zucchini, squeezed)
    3 eggs
    3 tablespoons all purpose flour
    2 green onions, including white parts
    1 /2 teaspoon Splenda or sugar
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/8 teaspoon salt
    1/8 teaspoon garlic powder

Olive oil for frying

To cook quinoa:
    1 cup uncooked quinoa
    2 cups water
    1/2 teaspoon salt

In a medium saucepan bring the 2 cups water and 1/2 teaspoon salt to a boil over high heat. Add quinoa and reduce heat to low. Cover and cook for 18-20 minutes, or until all water is absorbed and the seeds are tender. Allow to cool for a few minutes.

In a large bowl combine the cooked quinoa, cheddar cheese, cottage cheese, carrot, eggs, flour, green onions, Splenda, pepper, cumin, salt, and garlic powder.

Heat a frying pan and a couple teaspoons olive oil over medium-low heat. Mixture will be slightly sticky, so using a 1/4 cup measuring cup, drop mixture into pan and lightly flatten to 1/2 inch thick. Fry until golden-brown, about 4 minutes on each side. Makes approx. 10 burgers.

Per burger: Calories 132; Protein 8 g; Fat 5 g; NET Carbs 12 g; (Fiber 2 g); Sugar 0 g; Sodium 200 mg

fz3zQ.jpg
  • twinkler455
    twinkler455 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • debwaid
    debwaid Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Quinoa is my new favorite food! I made these last night and they were really good.

Quinoa Burgers

2 rounded cups cooked quinoa (see note below for cooking instructions)
    3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese (or other variety, if you prefer)
    1/2 cup low-fat cottage cheese
    1 medium carrot, finely grated (OR 1 cup shredded zucchini, squeezed)
    3 eggs
    3 tablespoons all purpose flour
    2 green onions, including white parts
    1 /2 teaspoon Splenda or sugar
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/8 teaspoon salt
    1/8 teaspoon garlic powder

Olive oil for frying

To cook quinoa:
    1 cup uncooked quinoa
    2 cups water
    1/2 teaspoon salt

In a medium saucepan bring the 2 cups water and 1/2 teaspoon salt to a boil over high heat. Add quinoa and reduce heat to low. Cover and cook for 18-20 minutes, or until all water is absorbed and the seeds are tender. Allow to cool for a few minutes.

In a large bowl combine the cooked quinoa, cheddar cheese, cottage cheese, carrot, eggs, flour, green onions, Splenda, pepper, cumin, salt, and garlic powder.

Heat a frying pan and a couple teaspoons olive oil over medium-low heat. Mixture will be slightly sticky, so using a 1/4 cup measuring cup, drop mixture into pan and lightly flatten to 1/2 inch thick. Fry until golden-brown, about 4 minutes on each side. Makes approx. 10 burgers.

Per burger: Calories 132; Protein 8 g; Fat 5 g; NET Carbs 12 g; (Fiber 2 g); Sugar 0 g; Sodium 200 mg

fz3zQ.jpg
    I can't wait to try these!!
  • bevdillen
    bevdillen Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Here is my favorite Quinoa recipe:

QUINOA SALAD

1 cup quinoa, rinsed well

3 or 4 garlic cloves, minced

1/2 cup diced cucumber

1 cup diced tomatoes

1/2 cup finely chopped fresh mint

1/2 cup finely chopped red onion

1 large or 2 small avocados, diced large

Juice of 1 lemon

Olive oil, to taste

Salt and pepper

Quinoa can be fixed just like rice (2 cups water to 1 cup quinoa). But I also like to toast the quinoa in a skillet with a tiny bit of oil over med-high heat for 5 minutes, stirring often; then added 1 3/4 cups water and bring to a boil, and then reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork.

Toss together the cooked quinoa, garlic, cucumber, tomatoes, mint, red onion, avocado, lemon juice and a drizzle of olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.

Good served warm or cold.
  • htrl877
    htrl877 Posts: 49
    Options
    Typically when I make a quiche, instead of putting extra fillers or more of a crust, i like to line the bottom of my quiche with quinoa then use egg whites, spinach, mushroom, etc to fill that baby up!!
  • jaxCarrie
    jaxCarrie Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    bump for later.
  • Mehagon
    Mehagon Posts: 83
    Options
    I stuff portabello caps with it. I mix it with cumin, corn and feta cheese. scrape the mushroom fins out, fill with the mixture and bake for about 15 minutes. So good!.
    I use quinoa in place of any rice. I also like to eat it with parmasean cheese.So good for you! High protein grain.

Ooooo this sounds delicious! But I love mushrooms and feta, so . . .. . I think I'll be trying these. :)
  • RisOnTheRun
    RisOnTheRun Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Bump! My husband has a gluten allergy so I'd like to make more quinoa dishes, but I never know what to do with it. Thanks for posting everyone, all of these recipes look delicious!
  • Jenn728
    Jenn728 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Bump for later, I would like to try quinoa!
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    bump
  • allysonb80
    allysonb80 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Love this blog for quinoa recipes: http://www.cookingquinoa.net/
  • SarahMorganP
    SarahMorganP Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    I have never had Quinoa! I should really try it sometime.
  • CMXL
    CMXL Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    The burger idea sounds great. I put it in salad and soups. It is great to make tabbouleh. Just replace bulgur wheat with quinoa. I even put in mashed potatoes and my son (a real mashed potato fan) couldn't even tell the difference.
  • lelasutt
    lelasutt Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    bump