bump
  • salzej01
    salzej01 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • tunktunk5583
    tunktunk5583 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Hello MFPers! So my mother just gave me a giant bag of quinoa and I have no clue what to do with it. Not to toot my own horn, but I am a pretty good cook (toot toot) and still have no idea what to do with it. What is your FAVORITE way to use it. All recipes welcome :)

Quinoa
    Minced Garlic
    Red onions
    Balsamic Vinegar
    Compari Tomatoes
    Goat Cheese
    Mix together and stick it in the fridge or eat it warm!

Warning-your breath will smell but it's SO good!
  • ruggedBear
    ruggedBear Posts: 295
    Options
    1 cup (dry) quinoa cooked in low sodium chicken broth and cooled
    5 cups course chopped kale OR 1 head of cauliflower steamed and crumbled
    1 small yellow onion diced
    1 red bell pepper diced
    Parmesan cheese to taste (I like a LOT)
    1 egg

Saute the kale, onion and pepper in a bit of olive oil, season to taste and set aside to cool. If using cauliflower, just use it steamed and saute the pepper and onion separately. When everything is room temperature, mix it all together with the egg until it's of a pasty consistency (drain the vegetables to make sure you don't have too much water). Form into patties and either pan fry with a tiny bit of oil or bake at 450 (use an oil mister to coat the baking sheet first, and give it another spray when you turn them over about halfway) until golden brown.
  • cbsouthernbelle
    Options
    bump
  • lacewitch
    lacewitch Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    Same way I like couscous - cooked and cooled, then mixed with chopped onion, peppers, cucumber, mint, lemon juice, seasoning, feta cheese and sundried tomatoes/olive oil (calories permitting on the last two!).
    yum
  • rsparks38
    rsparks38 Posts: 51
    Options
    bump
  • emilyevans220
    Options
    I recently did a Dr.Oz detoxt where I had quinoa for breakfast with prunes. I know what you're thinking, but it's actually so good! While the quinoa is cooking, add some fresh nutmeg and ginger, and when its finally done throw in the prunes and around 1/3 cup of rice milk. It makes a breakfast dish something similar to a flavored oatmeal!
  • msiamjan
    msiamjan Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Bumpity bump bump

Thanks!
  • cariclaire
    cariclaire Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    bump
  • marla_jones
    marla_jones Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    bump
  • carlyholly
    Options
    Bump!
  • morancarina
    Options
    I eat it for breakfast in the morning. 1/4 - 1/2 C Red Quinoa with 2-3 chopped pitted california dates. Simmer on stove or in microwave until soft. The dates provide an unbelievable sweetness.
  • TheMiddlePath
    TheMiddlePath Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Fried egg over 1/2 cup cooked quinoa with a sprinkle of salt. Mix it all up. Heaven!

I have fried the egg w butter when I have the calories, but Pam is just as delish. Quinoa accordibg to instructions.

So simple, but oh so delicious!!!
  • Hollybot
    Hollybot Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Fried egg sounds good!
  • dbecker70
    dbecker70 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    This is very similar to a quinoa burger recipe I just tried!

2 cups cooked quinoa
    3 eggs
    3 tbsp Flour
    1 carrot finely grated (or sub zucchini)
    1 small onion finely diced
    1 cup grated cheese
    1/2 cup cottage cheese or sour cream (I didn't have any of either so I left it out...made no difference)
    Seasonings...I used 1 tsp chili powder, dash of curry and a tsp of garlic salt...very versatile for any flavor you're looking for

Mix it all together (after letting quinoa cool a bit)..if it's too wet, add a little more flour. Use a 1/4 cup to drop into a hot oiled pan (i spritzed with olive oil between each batch) and flatten to about half an inch thickness. Fry until golden brown, then flip.

You can serve on a bun like a real burger, or a lettuce bed. I just ate mine on their own. Suggested toppings were mayo/ketchup (fry sauce), tatziki...could be anything depending on your flavorings.

When I made it I ended up with 11 patties at 120 calories each (not including the olive oil for frying). Super yummy!
  • missfitmt
    missfitmt Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • claresusan
    claresusan Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    bumpity bump, for when i'm hungry!