OMG!! Almost punched this guy @ gym!

Options

Replies

• likearadiowave
    likearadiowave Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    coraliethomas, kudos for sticking up for yourself. He probably thinks he's too cool for school and wants to prove it by pushing women around.

This is just me, because of my sometimes-quick-temper, I would have said "Oh really? I don't see a sign anywhere that says "Men's Section" ... so why don't you get you and your fake muscles out of my face?"

lol
  • jaymek92
    jaymek92 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    This is precisely why I love working out at Planet Fitness, Everyone is welcome.
    except for "lunks" and those of us who can't silently drop a heavy deadlift, snatch, and so on...
    i'm not trying to start anything, i'm just saying.

but no guy has ever said ANYTHING to me and i'm generally the only girl lifting. that's ridiculous.
    if my crossfit guys were there, they would have killed him for you!
  • CCChaos625
    CCChaos625 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    i can believe it but still shocked. i read the story to my husband. Proud of you for sticking up for yourself!
  • BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    What an *kitten*
  • StaceyL76
    StaceyL76 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Wow ~! What a Prick! Glad you stood your ground.

Too bad, you didn't say, well you better get your *kitten* over there - little girl.
  • waldenfam2
    waldenfam2 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    i can believe it but still shocked. i read the story to my husband. Proud of you for sticking up for yourself!

I did too, lol!!
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    You handled the situation well. It would have taken me hours to come up with a witty response, or even a factual one.
    'just wait and see, we'll have them weights painted pink in no time...' :wink:
  • chrissismone
    chrissismone Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I wish a joker would think to say some ish like that to me. I would have taken that 35 lb weight and went to work on his *kitten*. He would never say ish again and I would be in jail..but then plead insanity as I felt threatened. OP your a better woman than I. All the men in my gym even though its small either move out of my way and smile or move out of my way simple bc I'm a chick. They know better I guess since I keep a mean bitter itch face on..
  • Savyna
    Savyna Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    I want to strength train in the free weights area but that area is overflowing with testosterone that I don't enjoy going in that pit anyways. There are some girls who are braver than I and do go in there and kudos to them. I went in there once at school and it was a bit easier because most of the guys there aren't that big either and aren't as hostile. In the gym near my home the guys, who are like 10-20 years older than me, are more of the type of guy you ran into in that gym. I'm sorry you had to deal with that but good job sticking up for yourself. People shouldn't be that hostile and he shouldn't be such a meathead blockhead co.khead either -.-
  • SPBROOKS68
    SPBROOKS68 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    HATE THAT but also hate when people say "you don't look like you need to be working out" Seriously - it isn't any of your business when or why or work out!!!
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    So I cant believe that in this day and age, there is still stereotyping going on at the gym. I went to the Y today to do some strength training... I was doing some bench presses.. now Ive JUST started adding strength to my workouts, so Im still only doing 35lbs.. Im proud of my 35lbs press... I plan on increasing it soon, but I know it looks kinda dumb to those guys who can bench press a gajillion pounds.

So Im happy benchpressing away with my Ipod and this huge beefcake roidrage looking fool taps me on my shoulder.. so I put the bar up and pull my earphones out and say "Yes?"... Well he points to the treadmills and says "The cardio section is over there, where those girls are" so I say "Thanks, I knew that already though, today is my strength day"... so he actually has the balls to say to me "Little girl, this is the MENS area... I think you are lost"... So, I gather up my courage... look him in the eyes and say "NO, this is the 'everyone who pays to be here' area". He stood there looking at me like he might pick me up and carry me to a treadmill... and we have our little wild west stare down and he walks off muttering something about "knowing my place"...

I couldnt believe it!! Is this 2012 or what?? Any other of you lady weight trainers deal with this kinda crap?

I probably would have punched him...and given you were sitting and he was standing....well...I would have punched whatever was at my eye level if you know what I mean
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    Wow, you handled this well. What a jerk! I haven't read through all pages so I don't know if someone has mentioned yet but, in addition to reporting it to the manager, when something like that happens again I think you should immediately get a staff member involved. Immediately. Like maybe responding with "well, let's ask a staff member if this is men's only" and then walk over and get them or call one over if one is close by. That way this jerk can hear from staff that he is wrong.
  • textlikekisses
    Options
    at my gym if someone did something like that they would set off an alarm and kick him out immediately. DISGUSTING. I may be a small girl, but I probably would have kicked him in the balls...errr...lack there of.
  • Boshnivay
    Boshnivay Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    sooo proud that you stood up to him! what a meanie >:( "knowing your place..." hmm what year is it? 2012? OH.
  • wisebadger53
    wisebadger53 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I won't say anything like that to the women at our gym until I can bench press as much as they do! :blushing:
  • Boshnivay
    Boshnivay Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Wow, you handled this well. What a jerk! I haven't read through all pages so I don't know if someone has mentioned yet but, in addition to reporting it to the manager, when something like that happens again I think you should immediately get a staff member involved. Immediately. Like maybe responding with "well, let's ask a staff member if this is men's only" and then walk over and get them or call one over if one is close by. That way this jerk can hear from staff that he is wrong.

Thisss would be a great idea! totally do that next time :)
  • Nikki582
    Nikki582 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Oh my god! What a complete *kitten*!!
    My experience with similar was when I was having a staff member show me around the gym, he pointed to the benches and he goes "Look, not that you'll be using these, but you can't bench press out of staffed hours or without a spotter."
    So I raised my eyebrows and said "Excuse me? What do you mean?"
    "Oh it's just for safety purposes if you're here alo..."
    "No no no no.. What do you mean "not that you'll be using these?" damn straight I'll be using those, I've been a member of another gym for the last couple of months doing weight training and simply signing up to this gym to continue. So yes, I DO need to know that rule. Thank you."
    I'm normally quiet and mousy, but I really felt the need to say something. I don't think he'll be telling women what they will or won't be needing at the gym any more.
  • coraliethomas
    coraliethomas Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the support! Im gonna go back and hit those weights with more spunk on Monday!! After I report Fathead!
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    Usually I'm the only woman in the weights area & sometimes I get stares from both the men and the PTs but I really don't care. That guy is such a dork
  • JamieSK
    JamieSK Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Kudos, for standing your ground!

What a creep; sounds like his head and ego are so big it's a wonder anybody else can fit in the gym!! Stick to your guns girl, I bet you'll run into this joker again!

If I were you I report him to the management; maybe that will straighten him out. :happy: