1250 calories?

Options

Replies

• CM9178
    CM9178 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I'm 210 pounds, 5'2 , sedentary lifestyle.. and they give me 1270 calories, which is completey doable. I am never starving, hungry or tired, In fact, I usually end up with a few extra at the end of the day. I exercise maybe twice a week and eat about half of those calories back. I have MFP set for 1.5 pounds to lose per week.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I'm a lot older (62) and have more to lose. My doctor & nutritionist set my calories/day at 1200. Which is what MFP set my goal at. Been doing this 3 weeks (on site just 1 day) and I'm doing fine. I'm also doing 3 meals and 2 snacks. My body is different than your's and everyone else's. I need to do what is right for me to be healthy, control my type 2 diabetes and get fit. IMO.

Something to consider on your journey to help control your diabetes. If you didn't know it already.

http://www.everydayhealth.com/diabetes/type2/managing/weight-lifting-get-strong.aspx
  • psuLemon
    Options
    I like this post very balanced and very informative this is what we should all be doing rather than picking on people. You're post was in agreement with someone who was very very negative. But this post like I said is very balanced. I don't think it's fair however to compare anorexia a serious ED to people who eat 1200 calories. Also I never said 1200 is the thing to do. I just know people on it who have had great success, lowered cholesterol aleviated asthma symptoms due to their smaller size ,their Dr.s have done physicals and blood pressure is tons better and they continue to keep their weight off and are healthier. I don't like blanket statements like "it's not sustainble! it wont work" and so on. I find comments like that very unhelpful and very judgemental. Plenty of people posted on this particular thread that this is working for them and they are plenty happy. I lost 58 lbs without MFP and I don't use it for calories at all. The fact it keeps track of calories is a plus I use it for fat and carbs and protein. I've had people tell me what I'm doing is not sustaianable as well and well it is. So for all of you who have had continued success keep it up.

Know what the funny part about this all Watboy, I actually never criticize anyone for being on 1200 calories but yet you give us all crap for being rude to those on 1200 and you attacked my first two post without reason. It's amazing how hypocritical you really are.

I understand people say this or that works for them and they are all special and have different circumstances and if you want to believe that then great. I understand there are allergies and genetics but rarely have I seen them cause huge swings. Yes as you age, your body has a slower metabolism because you lose muscle as you age. Muscle directly effects your metabolism. I personally don't care if people want to do 1200 calories, but when they come on the board and say, I am doing 1200 calories and I am not losing weight, I am going to give them the best understanding through research and experience to why it's not working. Additionally, I want people to understand what they are doing by eating below their metabolic rate and what can happen to their lean muscle mass. I am dealing with several people now that got to their weight goal, have loose and flabby skin and now want to build muscle to eliminate it because 1200 calories didn't help. The OP want to know if 1250 calories was OK with a Beach Body workout program. A company that has had immense success with in home workouts. And guess what all of the people who have success have in common with these programs? That's right, they are all eating 1800+ calories. If you don't believe me, go look on their forums. Like I said before, I know from experience about low calories and these products. And the best part, the OP just posted she is eating more and already started losing weight.

The thing is, yes 1200 calories works but do you really want to do that for the rest of your life? Or do you want to have the ability to eat 2000+ calories and not gain weight?

Ok, so if you don't want me to compare and ED to a VLCD, how about a person on HCG to 1200? I ask this because they have very similar results. I have documented people on programs like HCG that lost 50% of their weight loss from lean muscle mass. That equated to about a 30% reduction of their BMR, at least according to their numbers.

The biggest problem is lack of knowledge. I say this because most new comers on this forum only care about weight. And really until a person (like myself) brings up the fact that weight is meaningless and body composition is more important do they start to rethink a little. This is why I ask people when figure out their estimated caloric needs, do they want to look good in clothes or naked? There is a huge difference between being skinny and being fit (see two examples below). But the fact is, if you truly want to be fit, 1200 calories isn't going to cut the fat). You just can't gain lean muscle mass on huge calorie deficits, let alone a small deficit. I bring this up when advising people as it might be better to change your approach sooner than trying to make up for the mistake in the long run because it's a lot harder to gain lean muscle mass, then preserve it. I am working with several women right now to gain lean muscle mass, both are 5'2" and both need to pack away over 2000 calories to maintain and probably close to 2500 to have enough fuel to add muscle.

And since this is a fitness forum, I believe in giving people the information to make smarter choices and think longer term, rather than short term success. And it truly doesn't matter if you are 20 or 60, weight loss still has the same components; BMR, TDEE and deficit. The macro's are just another little part of the equation. Medical conditions and genetics or past history are just other variables.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/392784-skinny-fat-vs-fit-photo?hl=skinny+fat&page=2#posts-5441852

http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
  • watboy
    watboy Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Great here is some ways people can be fit and gain muscle on a calorie deficit if this is what you chose to do.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/362906-can-you-build-muscle-on-a-calorie-deficit/
    http://alwyncosgrove.com/2010/09/gaining-muscle-and-losing-fat-at-the-same-time-is-it-possible/
    http://muscleevo.com/calorie-deficit/
    I like this post very balanced and very informative this is what we should all be doing rather than picking on people. You're post was in agreement with someone who was very very negative. But this post like I said is very balanced. I don't think it's fair however to compare anorexia a serious ED to people who eat 1200 calories. Also I never said 1200 is the thing to do. I just know people on it who have had great success, lowered cholesterol aleviated asthma symptoms due to their smaller size ,their Dr.s have done physicals and blood pressure is tons better and they continue to keep their weight off and are healthier. I don't like blanket statements like "it's not sustainble! it wont work" and so on. I find comments like that very unhelpful and very judgemental. Plenty of people posted on this particular thread that this is working for them and they are plenty happy. I lost 58 lbs without MFP and I don't use it for calories at all. The fact it keeps track of calories is a plus I use it for fat and carbs and protein. I've had people tell me what I'm doing is not sustaianable as well and well it is. So for all of you who have had continued success keep it up.

Know what the funny part about this all Watboy, I actually never criticize anyone for being on 1200 calories but yet you give us all crap for being rude to those on 1200 and you attacked my first two post without reason. It's amazing how hypocritical you really are.

I understand people say this or that works for them and they are all special and have different circumstances and if you want to believe that then great. I understand there are allergies and genetics but rarely have I seen them cause huge swings. Yes as you age, your body has a slower metabolism because you lose muscle as you age. Muscle directly effects your metabolism. I personally don't care if people want to do 1200 calories, but when they come on the board and say, I am doing 1200 calories and I am not losing weight, I am going to give them the best understanding through research and experience to why it's not working. Additionally, I want people to understand what they are doing by eating below their metabolic rate and what can happen to their lean muscle mass. I am dealing with several people now that got to their weight goal, have loose and flabby skin and now want to build muscle to eliminate it because 1200 calories didn't help. The OP want to know if 1250 calories was OK with a Beach Body workout program. A company that has had immense success with in home workouts. And guess what all of the people who have success have in common with these programs? That's right, they are all eating 1800+ calories. If you don't believe me, go look on their forums. Like I said before, I know from experience about low calories and these products. And the best part, the OP just posted she is eating more and already started losing weight.

The thing is, yes 1200 calories works but do you really want to do that for the rest of your life? Or do you want to have the ability to eat 2000+ calories and not gain weight?

Ok, so if you don't want me to compare and ED to a VLCD, how about a person on HCG to 1200? I ask this because they have very similar results. I have documented people on programs like HCG that lost 50% of their weight loss from lean muscle mass. That equated to about a 30% reduction of their BMR, at least according to their numbers.

The biggest problem is lack of knowledge. I say this because most new comers on this forum only care about weight. And really until a person (like myself) brings up the fact that weight is meaningless and body composition is more important do they start to rethink a little. This is why I ask people when figure out their estimated caloric needs, do they want to look good in clothes or naked? There is a huge difference between being skinny and being fit (see two examples below). But the fact is, if you truly want to be fit, 1200 calories isn't going to cut the fat). You just can't gain lean muscle mass on huge calorie deficits, let alone a small deficit. I bring this up when advising people as it might be better to change your approach sooner than trying to make up for the mistake in the long run because it's a lot harder to gain lean muscle mass, then preserve it. I am working with several women right now to gain lean muscle mass, both are 5'2" and both need to pack away over 2000 calories to maintain and probably close to 2500 to have enough fuel to add muscle.

And since this is a fitness forum, I believe in giving people the information to make smarter choices and think longer term, rather than short term success. And it truly doesn't matter if you are 20 or 60, weight loss still has the same components; BMR, TDEE and deficit. The macro's are just another little part of the equation. Medical conditions and genetics or past history are just other variables.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/392784-skinny-fat-vs-fit-photo?hl=skinny+fat&page=2#posts-5441852

http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
  • beckylawrence70
    beckylawrence70 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I'm just under 5'6" and weigh 120. And yes I may go over but I workout and eat back most of my workout calores......
  • psuLemon
    Options

Thanks, that is good information. Although the first won't apply to me. For someone who is already fairly lean (current 12% body fat) it has become harder to gain lean muscle mass on a calorie deficit. The second one isn't loading on my work comp so I will look at it later. But I do P90X2 and it has been working to add definition and cutting fat.
  • leahmac98
    Options
    My doctor told me this week that the lowest she ever lets anyone go is 1200 Calories per day, but if you're exercising, you need 1500. I've compromised with 1275..... :)
  • watboy
    Options
    I was a big boy . Worked for me. Lean people would have a hard time for the most part.Btw i've enjoyed our debate. People should hear diifferent views and also read differing studies.

Thanks, that is good information. Although the first won't apply to me. For someone who is already fairly lean (current 12% body fat) it has become harder to gain lean muscle mass on a calorie deficit. The second one isn't loading on my work comp so I will look at it later. But I do P90X2 and it has been working to add definition and cutting fat.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    The point I was making is its not good to say "Great job guys!" for dieting incorrectly.

Your basal metabolic needs are primary in a diet.
    99% of the people starting out on MFP dont understand that and thats why you see so many posts about "Eating back calories" and "im at 1200 and not losing any weight!"

These people are not meeting basic basal metabolic needs.
    They are uneducated in proper dietary principals!
    Most doctors get this wrong too!
    These are individuals who got to school for 8+ years and still fail to give good dietary advice!.

So again i'll make my point.

You have a basal metabolic need.
    It covers your vital organs.
    Average people who work out 3-5 times a week if eating at the basal metabolic level will fail at dieting.
    They will initially lose weight.
    20-50% of this weight is lean mass.
    In essence they are shrinking their overall weight and size with little change to body fat and composition.

Your willingness to applaud people who diet incorrectly is where you are meeting with most of this resistance.
    If you could accept the fact that if you dont meet your bodies basic basal metabolic needs, the amount of nutrients needed for vital organs to have proper nutrients daily while bedridden or comatose, you are painting yourself as a fool.
    The more you defend this, the more foolish you look!

For instance my BMR is 1489 as dictated by my lean mass, age and height.
    If I ate at 1200 calories I would lose appx 2lbs a week.
    20-50% of that would be lean mass and I would slip into the skinny fat category.
    Over time my hormones would go out of whack.
    Cortisol levels will rise, leptin levels will drop, ghrelin levels will rise.
    Cortisol will allow the body to slow itself down by targeting active tissue.
    Just so we are clear this is lean tissue and can include skeletal tissue as well as the heart.
    Are you still applauding the 1200 peeps?
    Leptin levels drop and the body panics and decides to hang onto as much fat as possible.
    Its not getting energy from food so its getting energy from fat.
    90% of the numbers I have run for people on this site, i've only come across 1 person who had a BMR lower than 1200.
    She was grossly underweight by 20lbs and had a severe eating disorder.
    She couldnt have kids and was never hungry because her hormones were screwed from binge eating and purging.

Bravo on the 1200 cal diet gang!!!

Watboy, would you drive an old car 200 miles with 1/8th tank of gas?
    Thats how these people are living their lives.
  • a10horan
    a10horan Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Sounds like everyone is too focused on the number of calories rather than where the calories are coming from. I think if you eat good healthy food 1200-1500 is safe and healthy.

Yes I agree we do eat too much and too much of the wrong stuff.
  • a10horan
    a10horan Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I don’t think 1250 calories is bad. My goal is 1200 cal. I have only been doing this for five days. I have been cutting back on the unhealthy snacking and cutting my portions down because I am a BIG eater...I don’t eat often but when I do eat, I eat a lot! Of course I have my spells when I get hungry but that's when I eat one of my 100 cal snacks, fruits or veggies instead of a bag of potato chips. But for the most part I feel like I can still eat, now there are other diets like the HCG diet that tells you to only consume 500 calories a day! So I don’t believe what we're doing is too bad.

I agree!
  • cakeums
    cakeums Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Currently my calories are set at 1,200 and there are plenty of days where I don't come close to that and I'm still satiated and satisfied because I'm eating healthy foods.

This argument kills me. What do you think I'm eating 1800 cal of? It's not fast food or crap like Shakeology. I eat close to 2000cal of clean food everyday, which includes lots of vegetables, lean meat, complex carbs, healthy fats, dairy, and fruit. You have trained your metabolism to run slower, which is why you feel "satisfied". Just remember this thread when you start to plateau or when you realize you have very little or no strength at all.

It kills me too!!! I find it really insulting that people say if you eat healthy, then you can eat a VLCD and feel satisfied because of sheer volume. As if those of us who eat 2000+ a day must be filling it with crap. I'm just over 1600 so far today, and my meals were: a homemade strawberry and banana almond milk smoothie with a scoop of protein powder, a Clif bar, raw nut and raisin mix, an apple, a handful of baby carrots, 1/2c almond milk with a scoop of protein powder, a brown rice salmon roll, and a salad with romaine, shredded carrots, an avocado, nutritional yeast, balsamic vinegar and a little olive oil. Sure, the Clif bar and the protein powder aren't the cleanest things I could have eaten, but I'm also very busy and that's what I could grab that was relatively healthy and nutrient-dense. I will still eat another 400-500 cals today too, probably another smoothie and maybe some celery and peanut butter. 2000-2100 calories filled with WHOLE, NUTRIENT-DENSE foods.

WHY the implication that if you eat a high-cal diet, you must be eating crap?!
  • Helloitsdan
    Options
    Basal needs are basal needs.
    Doesnt matter where the calories come from.

If your BMR is 1500 and you eat 1200 daily without eating back the calories up and above BMR...you will fail at this diet.

Feel free to do the math yourself!

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/

Do the military body fat calc.
    Then do the BMR tool.

99% of you who dont eat back all lost cals from working out will fail at the diet.
    You must fuel the body properly.

I've proven this with real world results and I give my advice for free!
    =D
  • watboy
    Options
    I dont believe its dieting incorrectly and neither do they I guess thats the issue.Oh I don't eat excercise calories back send the diet auditors, as a matter of fact millions of people who are healthy dont know anything about eating calories back. For all of you who have posted your experiences at 1200 calories and are happy and satisfied good for you. For those of you who have emailed me personally thanking me you are welcome. For those of you who have had real Drs give you advice and aproval good for you for litsening to them not some guy on the internet. Again I am not saying 1200 is good but i'm also not saying it's bad as it were fact. I'm not an expert either i'm also just a guy on the internet. I don't need people agreeing with me nor taking what I say seriously. What I will continue to say for those of you who found something sustainable and are healthier for it good for you.
    The point I was making is its not good to say "Great job guys!" for dieting incorrectly.

99% of the people starting out on MFP dont understand that and thats why you see so many posts about "Eating back calories" and "im at 1200 and not losing any weight!"

These are individuals who got to school for 8+ years and still fail to give good dietary advice!.

Average people who work out 3-5 times a week if eating at the basal metabolic level will fail at dieting.
    In essence they are shrinking their overall weight and size with little change to body fat and composition.

Your willingness to applaud people who diet incorrectly is where you are meeting with most of this resistance.
    If you could accept the fact that if you dont meet your bodies basic basal metabolic needs, the amount of nutrients needed for vital organs to have proper nutrients daily while bedridden or comatose, you are painting yourself as a fool.

20-50% of that would be lean mass and I would slip into the skinny fat category.
    Just so we are clear this is lean tissue and can include skeletal tissue as well as the heart.
    Leptin levels drop and the body panics and decides to hang onto as much fat as possible.
    90% of the numbers I have run for people on this site, i've only come across 1 person who had a BMR lower than 1200.
    She couldnt have kids and was never hungry because her hormones were screwed from binge eating and purging.

• Helloitsdan
    Options
    Okidoke!

I'm done with this thread anyway.
  • watboy
    Options
    Awesome
    Okidoke!

I'm done with this thread anyway.
  • watboy
    Options
    Nail on head.
    Sounds like everyone is too focused on the number of calories rather than where the calories are coming from. I think if you eat good healthy food 1200-1500 is safe and healthy.

Yes I agree we do eat too much and too much of the wrong stuff.
  • watboy
    Options
    Ditto
    I don’t think 1250 calories is bad. My goal is 1200 cal. I have only been doing this for five days. I have been cutting back on the unhealthy snacking and cutting my portions down because I am a BIG eater...I don’t eat often but when I do eat, I eat a lot! Of course I have my spells when I get hungry but that's when I eat one of my 100 cal snacks, fruits or veggies instead of a bag of potato chips. But for the most part I feel like I can still eat, now there are other diets like the HCG diet that tells you to only consume 500 calories a day! So I don’t believe what we're doing is too bad.

I agree!
  • watboy
    Options
    One sick individual with an ED does not make people eating 1200 calories sick or automatically cause them to binge nor be able to bear children. To your question about driving a car 200 miles with an 1/8 tank of gas is not a good idea I know because I was a mechanic. Oh by the way were you ever a Dr.? You probably wont answer since you left the thread.

• Helloitsdan
    Options
    Lol no!

The Car is an analogy.
    It's truly whats happening to people who diet at 1200 cals and dont eat back all calories above BMR.

A doctor?
    LOL no!
    I just do all the research to figure out how to make dieting easier to understand and live by.
    I offer sustainable diets that dont plateau.
    I offer sustainable diets that net results in 95% of the people i've run numbers for.
    I offer sustainable diets that allow you to work out only 3 times a week and lose inches of fat while maintaining lean mass.
    I offer free support to anyone who asks for it.

Unfortunately the person I reference here is still practicing ED and is not on any type of diet except her own.

My point is out of hundreds of numbers run for people around the world, most of them are eating well above BMR and dieting correctly.

If people are here to just lose weight and get Skinny Fat then hats off to them.
    You can sit around and congratulate them on their "wins".
    I'll continue offering real world help for anyone who asks for it.
    It brings great personal satisfaction when I can help someone change their life for the better.
    You may not like it so youll probably come back with some snarky comment then finish with "great job 1200 calorie girls!"