1250 calories?

Options

Replies

• myak623
    myak623 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Sounds like everyone is too focused on the number of calories rather than where the calories are coming from. I think if you eat good healthy food 1200-1500 is safe and healthy.

Yes I agree we do eat too much and too much of the wrong stuff.

This isn't entirely true. Watch the movie "Fat Head". He eats nothing but fast food, but makes sure he is at a calorie deficit. Not to be a spoiler, but he loses weight.
  • lisa28115
    lisa28115 Posts: 17,271 Member
    Options
    THIS THREAD HAS BEEN BEAT TO DEATH

WATBOY NOBODY IS SAYING YOU CAN'T LOSE WEIGHT AT 1200 CALORIES
    YOU CAN BUT YOU CAN'T STAY AT THAT LEVEL AND NOT PLATEAU
    NOR IS IT TRAINING U TO BE ABLE TO MAINTAIN

YOU AND DAN BOTH NEED TO GIVE IT REST
    EVERYONE HAS THEIR OWN OPINIONS AND I THINK EVERYONE KNOWS YOURS

THANK YOU:flowerforyou:
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Why is it called My Fitness Pal, when it is so focused on diet actually.

If it was focused on fitness, there'd be means of uploading fitness related info beyond the FitBit, there'd be more accurate database for exercises, there'd be HR zone info and calculators, ect.

My Food Pal - I guess not the same ring to it.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    I'm only 4ft 11, I'm a prime candidate for the 1200 calorie diet, and I did follow it for a few weeks, but I stopped losing, I felt lightheaded etc

I wish someone had explained BMR and TDEE to me right at the beginning, because lets be honest, why would you only eat 1200 when you can actually lose fat at 1600? I've lost more inches of fat in three weeks on 1600, then I did after 2 months of 1200.

I think these threads are good for educating people, but there are always going to be others who think the number on the scale is more important than the ratio of fat to lean mass, and as long as they are losing weight they don't care what it is made up of.

Even if this thread helps just a few people to realise that there is another option then that is good.

I won't ever criticise anyone for eating 1200, as that is their choice, and some of my MFP pals struggle to make 1200
    I just prefer people to make that choice after acquiring some knowledge rather than just accepting it must be right because that is what MFP told them.
  • creative1981
    creative1981 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I hate it when people say 1200 is not sustainable, yes it is, we eat wayyyyy too much food, that's why we're fat!

It most certainly is. Look at my food diary.. I eat roughly 1200 calories, but I'm actually eating a hell of a lot more than I was when I was shoving junk down my throat.

I went from approx. 230 to 135 by following a 1200 calorie diet along with exercising most days. I was in no way starving... I was just filling myself with healthy food.

If you are eating healthy food then 1200 calories is just fine. Just don't fill your allowed calories with junk, otherwise you will be starving. :)

Agreed.
  • watboy
    watboy Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Me snarky? I'm never snarky. People miss the point a lot it seems. when you have hundreds of people on this site saying they are doing great at 1200 calories and they are giving out their numbers as far as cholesterol or as far as blood pressure and that they feel great about themselves and are indeed sustaining and are satieted at 1200 calories I think that they shouldn't be beat up when they have bettered themselves. I will never say 1200 is enough or not enough because that is not my decision nor is it my body and I can't claim to know how they physically feel nobody else should either. Also a lot of them have done research and have gone to Dr.s and nutritionists and have been told to eat 1200 calories or they have been arpoved to do so. So they go to a Dr. or a nutrionist and used the MFP site and were told 1200 is A OK. Then some guy or girl on the internet who does research tells them it's all wrong. Well I think that Dr.s have a bit more knowledge than some random person on the internet. I am also a random person on the internet however I'm not telling people eat more, eat less , you're doign it wrong or whatever else people are saying on this thread. However I will congratulate people who lost weight doign something that is safe and has been deemed safe by their Dr. If people can eat 2000 calories and lose weight that's awesome if they can eat 1200 and lose weight thats also awesome if they can find it sustainable and it is not unhealthy that's the true goal and many at 1200 are perfectly healthy and perfectly content and they have posted their experiences.

Lisa28115 you can always chose not read these posts. that's what I do when I see something I don't like. I don't even go into the thread. Also

"NOBODY IS SAYING YOU CAN'T LOSE WEIGHT AT 1200 CALORIES
    YOU CAN BUT YOU CAN'T STAY AT THAT LEVEL AND NOT PLATEAU
    NOR IS IT TRAINING U TO BE ABLE TO MAINTAIN "
    This is not true plenty of people are on 1200 and had no plateu and hit their goals and are keeping the weight off and are plenty happy. Some do which is why many people on this thread continue to say they have done it and are sustaining. Let's not ignore that.

Oh by the way : Great job 1200 calorie girls!
    Lol no!

The Car is an analogy.
    It's truly whats happening to people who diet at 1200 cals and dont eat back all calories above BMR.

A doctor?
    LOL no!
    I just do all the research to figure out how to make dieting easier to understand and live by.
    I offer sustainable diets that dont plateau.
    I offer sustainable diets that net results in 95% of the people i've run numbers for.
    I offer sustainable diets that allow you to work out only 3 times a week and lose inches of fat while maintaining lean mass.
    I offer free support to anyone who asks for it.

Unfortunately the person I reference here is still practicing ED and is not on any type of diet except her own.

My point is out of hundreds of numbers run for people around the world, most of them are eating well above BMR and dieting correctly.

If people are here to just lose weight and get Skinny Fat then hats off to them.
    You can sit around and congratulate them on their "wins".
    I'll continue offering real world help for anyone who asks for it.
    It brings great personal satisfaction when I can help someone change their life for the better.
    You may not like it so youll probably come back with some snarky comment then finish with "great job 1200 calorie girls!"
  • watboy
    Options
    Ditto
    I'm only 4ft 11, I'm a prime candidate for the 1200 calorie diet, and I did follow it for a few weeks, but I stopped losing, I felt lightheaded etc

I wish someone had explained BMR and TDEE to me right at the beginning, because lets be honest, why would you only eat 1200 when you can actually lose fat at 1600? I've lost more inches of fat in three weeks on 1600, then I did after 2 months of 1200.

I think these threads are good for educating people, but there are always going to be others who think the number on the scale is more important than the ratio of fat to lean mass, and as long as they are losing weight they don't care what it is made up of.

Even if this thread helps just a few people to realise that there is another option then that is good.

I won't ever criticise anyone for eating 1200, as that is their choice, and some of my MFP pals struggle to make 1200
    I just prefer people to make that choice after acquiring some knowledge rather than just accepting it must be right because that is what MFP told them.
  • stellaskies
    stellaskies Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    OMG, Jesus take the wheel.
  • watboy
    Options
    It's quiet Jim. To quiet.
  • lisa28115
    lisa28115 Posts: 17,271 Member
    Options
    YOU JUST WANT TO ARGUE
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    This is the amount mfp has calculated I should eat .. I am 170 lb 5'6" 36 yrs old female .. this seems like too few calories

Actually, you selected an activity level of sedentary.
    You selected a weight loss goal of 2lbs a week.

Yes, it probably is too few, and you can easily change that.

Change goal to 1lb week.

Will you only get 1 lb week? Is your life truly sedentary? Can MFP truly know how many calories you burn every day doing everything to subtract 500 from?

No.
  • muthi002
    muthi002 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I think the most important thing is that you feel healthy -- try eating 1250, and see if it feels okay. Mine says 1200, so I try to aim for that. But if I'm hungry, I eat a healthy snack, even if it puts me over.

You'd be surprised how much you can actually eat if you try to eat healthier!

When I first saw that my calories per day was set at 1200, I was shocked. But the truth is, I always know when I'm actually hungry and when I just feel a craving or just feel like eating. As long as you know the difference and can snack/not snack accordingly, I think you'll be okay :)
  • GretelPetal91
    Options
    I have 1100 cal a day. I am a vegetarian and love eating whole fruit and veg so I can actually have decent sized meals with this amount of calories, also I don't mind going over a little.
    I fell off the MFP wagon for AGES and didn't lose weight, but I wasn't eating a whole lot more in volume than what I am now anyway.
    Use your calories wisely and it won't be so hard.
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    I have 1100 cal a day. I am a vegetarian and love eating whole fruit and veg so I can actually have decent sized meals with this amount of calories, also I don't mind going over a little.
    I fell off the MFP wagon for AGES and didn't lose weight, but I wasn't eating a whole lot more in volume than what I am now anyway.

1200 or less and falling off the wagon seem to go hand in hand. Just sayin'
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options

Way too low.

Check your information on this website if you only want to lose fat and very little lean mass.
    Your diet is a crash course to skinny fat!

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/

Do the Military Body Fat Calc first, then the BMR tool.
    The BMR tool will give exact calories to eat on a daily basis.
    Add 20% to this number to get your TDEE.
    For Fat loss plans set up macros at 30% Protein/Fat each.
  • watboy
    Options
    NO way it was just weird everyone had so much to say and then nothing. We will all never agree on the same thing. Thankfully we are all individuals and have minds of our own.
    YOU JUST WANT TO ARGUE
  • GretelPetal91
    Options
    I make sure I'm never hungry because I know starvation is not the way... I'll trial this way for a week or two (I've really only started this week) and if I get no results, I guess you know me better than I do haha
  • thegoya
    thegoya Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I'm 5 ft (female) and it was suggested not to go below 1,200 calories, you're so much taller with approx the same daily calories?. Hmmm....every source seems to differ.
  • Airbear3
    Airbear3 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    you must do what is right for you! i started with 1200 and stopped losing after a month and a half, now i eat 1650. not wanting to eat more and get away with it is like saying you have too much money! why not???? i had no problems living on 1200 but now i don't feel as though i'm on a diet, i have breathing room!?!? besides i don't just want to be thin but i want to be healthy its simple math...feed your body!
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    I'm 5 ft (female) and it was suggested not to go below 1,200 calories, you're so much taller with approx the same daily calories?. Hmmm....every source seems to differ.

I'm 4ft 11.5, I'm losing on 1600 NET calories.