Your 3 best investments for fitness?

Options
I've seen a lot of posts on workout tapes, exercise games, and technology (fit bits, heart rate monitors, etc) that people are using to help them burn calories. If someone was watching their cash but looking to get a great workout, what are the 3 things you would say are worth the investment?

Mine:
1. Subscription to SELF magazine. They share all the recipes and workouts online for free, but for me getting the magazine in the mail each month gives me a little bit of renewed motivation alongside some great ideas. I tear out the workouts and recipes and keep them in their own binder so I never get bored and can take them with me on a trip.
2. Building a "home gym" with little investments over time. I don't own any big pieces of equipment but over the past 5 years I've accumulated a couple different weights in dumbbells, a jumprope, one of those blow up balls, a resistance band, yoga mat, and (my favorite) 2 kettlebells. None were very pricey one their own and allow me to try different exercises.
3. 1 month with a professional trainer. I consider the time I spent doing Crossfit INVALUABLE. I worked with people who taught me good form and technique. I learned how to motivate myself through a workout and how to listen to my body. I couldn't afford to be a continuous member, but I know my time with them has prevented a lot of potential injuries and opened my horizons on exercise.

Things that barely missed the list: A good pair of cross training shoes (I LOVE my Vibrams even though I look like a hipster) my Gymboss interval trainer (It's not a necessary piece of equipment, but it does allow me to focus on certain workouts more intensely than if I were watching a clock)

Things that I always want and then decide it's not worth the cash: Heart rate monitor. I actually bought one once and then returned it. If you put one of these on your list I'd love to hear why you feel it helps. I just don't see the point of the investment but maybe that's because I just don't really understand how to use one to my benefit. I feel I would be too distracted by the numbers than paying attention to how my body feels.

Replies

• kriskaryl
    kriskaryl Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    1. A good comfortable pair of cross-trainers. If your feet and legs hurt, you aren't very likely to want to work out.

2. An iPod shuffle or other similar product to tune out distractions.

3. Vanilla protein powder.
  • twiggysavage
    Options
    1. IPhone and a variety of fitness apps. (They're what initially got me moving!)

2. My Vibrams. :) I love them so much. They're the most comfortable shoe I've ever had.

3. My Fitbit. It hasn't been delivered yet, but I bought it Friday. :) I can't wait.
  • Taylerr88
    Taylerr88 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    1. MFP.. even tho i didn't really invest anything. its by far the most important.

2. gym membership

3. dip belt
  • LeggyKettleBabe
    LeggyKettleBabe Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    1. Joining a gym

2. Getting a personal trainer

3. Believing in myself
  • Kirsty_UK
    Kirsty_UK Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    1. a good sports bra

2. properly fitted running shoes

3. a set of accurate kitchen scales
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    gym membership

food scale

good shoes
  • eena56
    eena56 Posts: 1,456 Member
    Options
    1. My elliptical machine

2. Heart rate monitor

3. New scales
  • BlondeToast
    Options
    Oo it's hard to just pick 3!

1. Decent, comfy, well-fitting trainers suited to my gait
    2. My HRM
    3. My expensive gym membership which I justify by using fully!
  • Picola1984
    Picola1984 Posts: 1,133
    Options
    Gym

HRM

Food scales
  • nanieterri
    Options
    1 Watch what you eat

2 I joined Curves

3 I walk at less 30 min's a day even if it is in the house going from room to room
  • ehunte
    ehunte Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    1. my PT who pushes me beyond my belief in myself
    2. my HRM - without it, I wouldn't know EXACTLY how many calories to eat back
    3. my food scale 'cause I weigh everything I'm eating
  • eena56
    Options
    1. My elliptical machine

2. Heart rate monitor

3. New scales

In reply to your question, I use the HRM every time I do cardio exercise as it allows me to train in the right zone for weight loss, and to do interval training with accuracy. I also love to see the progress I make e.g. With less effort can go further or longer.
  • Kateraptor
    Options
    1. My Nike+ sensor-I use it when I run or walk
    2. My new bicycle that inspired me to want to train for RAGBRAI this year
    3. X-box Kinect and dance games. This is what got me moving and I still like to use it when I'm not outside playing. :)
  • Marks281172
    Marks281172 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    1. Xbox with Kinect and Fitness Evolved 2012

2. Polar FT7 Heart rate Monitor

3. £19.99 a month membership to my local YMCA gym
  • sarahc001
    sarahc001 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I'm with Kirsty on #1 and #2:

1. Sports Bra (bouncing is no fun)
    2. Running Shoes (if your foot pronates or supinates, getting the right footwear is a must)
    3. My Polar FT7 HRM

Scale, Kitchen Scale, Measuring Cups, and MFP (free- yay!) narrowly miss the top 3.
  • DOElston
    DOElston Posts: 102
    Options
    1. A gym membership
    2. A good food scale
    3. Clothes that fit me now
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    1. Time - making going to the gym of an evening my priority
    2. Gym membership
    3. PT
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    1. A good pair of running shoes.

2. Membership in a triathlon club

3. My home gym equipment ,we converted the garage to a home gym - it's taken a few years but we've acquired a multi-gym weight machine (if I was doing it over it would be a bench & free weights) , power tower (my dips & chin-ups still suck) , rowing machine and treadmill and an indoor trainer for my bike.
  • littlepinkhearts
    littlepinkhearts Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    Good running shoes

Treadmill

mp3 player

just bought a small set of free weights :)
  • eena56
    Options
    1 Watch what you eat

2 I joined Curves

3 I walk at less 30 min's a day even if it is in the house going from room to room

Did you read the original post? None of these are investments :)