Are we there yet? Man in a kilt - cool or dorky?

Options
CasperO
CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
I'm thinking of getting a casual kilt for OCCASIONAL weekend wear. Church, dinners out, summer happenings. My old friend Kase wore one to the company Xmas party last year and totally pulled it off.

So what's the MFP gang's verdict? Interesting kooky fun - or "Mark of a *kitten*/attention *kitten*"?

I do have a pretty decent pair of sticks, if that makes any diff.

Be honest, I can take it.

(Edited to add the word "Occasional". I'm not planning to wear the silly thing every day. There are times and places where this might make sense, and I have a pretty good idea when to stick to normal garb.)

Replies

• CasperO
    Options
    $(KGrHqJ,!nkE63U,eukNBPE(1NlDEg~~60_58.JPG
  • DAM_Fine
    DAM_Fine Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    If you've got the legs, go for it.
  • Moin78
    Moin78 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    How about sexy? I think kilts are really awesome, but the question is...are you going to where it "traditionally"? Nevermind, I don't need the answer to the last question...that would be TMI. ;-)
  • mkmacf
    mkmacf Posts: 101
    Options
    100% for it. I think they are cool, and would be awesome for summer.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    If you can claim any kind if Scottish heritage and wear a properly tailored kilt in your clan tartan, it's not only cool, it's as sexy as hell.

Under any other circumstances, you're just a man in a skirt.
  • mamabear272
    mamabear272 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    How about sexy? I think kilts are really awesome, but the question is...are you going to where it "traditionally"? Nevermind, I don't need the answer to the last question...that would be TMI. ;-)

LOL The ever eternal question.

I personally think they're cool. If your Irish or Scottish and you're wearing it to show your pride in your heritage, I say go for it. Wear it proudly!
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    Go for it. I dated a guy back in high school who would wear one and it was a nod to his Scottish roots.
  • CasperO
    Options
    If you can claim any kind if Scottish heritage and wear a properly tailored kilt in your clan tartan, it's not only cool, it's as sexy as hell.

Interesting. My fam has been in the states for a long long time and has lost all heritage, but there are grandma rumors of Scots-Irish heritage, like most of the white folks in the south. There is a tartan for my family name, but it's hard to justify $400 for a skirt.

Thanks for the input.
  • BIGJIMMYU
    BIGJIMMYU Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I wear mine once in awhile as my family are a clan proper of Scotland though I am Canadian.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    Was fine for the festivities of this past weekend, but otherwise, a nay from me.
  • shanlynt
    shanlynt Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    There's one man in particular on here who wears one really well. He should show his face ;)
  • ket_the_jet
    ket_the_jet Posts: 1,257 Member
    Options

That's the best sartorial advice you will receive on this subject. You have all the information you need to make your decision.
    -wtk
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Takes a certain kind of man and must be an event of some sort. Just some guy wearing kilts all the time isn't going to play.
  • ttkg
    ttkg Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Looooove men in kilts - do it!
  • _HeathBar_
    _HeathBar_ Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    My hubby has a "Utilikilt" that he wears occasionally. It looks like cargo shorts but it's actually a kilt. He likes to call it his "tactical kilt".
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Great for special occasions (weddings, for example), but unless you live in Scotland several hundred years in the past, douchey to wear casually.
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    If you are of Celtic heritage and/or have an event to attend then do it! Tartan pattern is the best of course.
  • darkling_glory
    darkling_glory Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I think they are SEXY!

My hubby has killer legs and I've been trying for years to get him to wear one.

One day. One day.
  • GellisIndigo
    GellisIndigo Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    There's nothing better than a man in a Utili-Kilt and "stompy boots". Yum!

DH wears his to mow the grass and do yardwork. But a black one can be very dressy. I say go for it.
  • 1a1a
    1a1a Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    If I was a dude, I'd wear kilts, and skirts, and get bloody good at self defence. I say yay.