Are we there yet? Man in a kilt - cool or dorky?

Options

Replies

• CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    If you have nice, muscular legs, and a bit of hair, then kilts are totally sexy IMO.
  • Bigkmc78
    Bigkmc78 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking of getting a casual kilt for OCCASIONAL weekend wear. Church, dinners out, summer happenings. My old friend Kase wore one to the company Xmas party last year and totally pulled it off.

So what's the MFP gang's verdict? Interesting kooky fun - or "Mark of a *kitten*/attention *kitten*"?

I do have a pretty decent pair of sticks, if that makes any diff.

Be honest, I can take it.

(Edited to add the word "Occasional". I'm not planning to wear the silly thing every day. There are times and places where this might make sense, and I have a pretty good idea when to stick to normal garb.)

As a true Scot from the MacKenzie clan :) Here is my input:

1. Man in a kilt - well cool
    2. For casual, wear with Doc's or chunky boots
    3. The larger the legs, the better
    4. If you have the guts to be a true Scotsman, pack some vaseline, I hear it helps
    5. Enjoy the attention!
  • tamheath
    tamheath Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised I'm in the minority here! I don't know why... but I absolutely would NOT want my man wearing a kilt. I'll wear the skirts in the family - thanks. But to each his own - that just my opinion. :smokin:
  • bottenana
    bottenana Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I see them so often in the social circles I move in that I don't even notice anymore. I think they are fine but at the end of the day it's whatever makes you comfortable.

And just so everyone knows, a kilt is NOT a skirt. A man wearing a kilt is NOT a man in a skirt. A non-fabulous drag queen is a man in the skirt.
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    I fully intend to get a decent on (not traditional, but more just for the who of it) once I hit my goal body fat percentage. I've got the red beard and everything to go with it, so I'm fully planning on rocking one when the day finally comes!
  • alucard75
    alucard75 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    <
    man in a kilt...wear mine a few times a year :) I think it looks good
  • jenny95662
    jenny95662 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    my husband bought a kilt in the colors for his family name when he went to scotland for a month for work (navy) he loves his
  • firesoforion
    firesoforion Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Kilts are ALWAYYYYYYSSSSSSSSSS a good thing. I just think they're the coolest things ever, and seriously good looking, too. Seriously, kilts are amazing. I encourage people to wear them as much as possible.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    <
    man in a kilt...wear mine a few times a year :) I think it looks good

Damn straight, that looks bloody good! :love:
  • elenathegreat
    elenathegreat Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    If you can claim any kind if Scottish heritage and wear a properly tailored kilt in your clan tartan, it's not only cool, it's as sexy as hell.

Under any other circumstances, you're just a man in a skirt.

this...take me for example, as a typical housecat, I can wear fur year round 24/7, but I doubt most of you could pull it off...
  • Bonita_Lynne_58
    Bonita_Lynne_58 Posts: 2,845 Member
    Options
    Go for it! As a non-Scottish woman...I find a man in a kilt to be incredibly sexy.
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    This is interesting, there seem to be a couple of different ways of looking at this.

To some the kilt is a symbol of Scottish national pride, and a non-scot wearing a kilt could seem insulting, or posing, or at least disrespectful. Almost like a white guy in a native american chief's headdress.

To others, it's a fashion decision. Interestingly, a lot of the folks who are scottish, or at least claim to be, seem to see it as a valid choice and are encouraging.

Neat stuff,,, Sociology 101 was so long ago.
  • karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,840 Member
    Options
    Unless you are a Scot, this would make you a man in a skirt, a lot of gay guys wear the black kilt over here,

It is not a kilt unless its tartan, it is a skirt. I would not be happy if my Husband wanted to wear one, even though he claims some Scottish heritage in the dim distant past, unless you are a true Scot, then don't wear it.
  • Lissakaye81
    Lissakaye81 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Kilts are like mini skirts for chicks, you got to have the right body to pull em off. On the right person they are sexy.
  • branflake6
    branflake6 Posts: 115
    Options
    please don't do it
    sorry but unless u are dressing up for halloween and just trying to be funny there is nothing cool r sexy about a man in a kilt or skirt
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    Unless you are a Scot, this would make you a man in a skirt, a lot of gay guys wear the black kilt over here,<<snip>>
    The "Gay guys" thing doesn't bug me, several of my best friends are gay. If someone saw me in a kilt and thought I was half man Christian is, I'd be proud,
  • melonsss
    melonsss Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I am Scottish and think men wearing a kilt is more sexy than trousers. we in the West of Scotland really appreciate tourist that make an effort to wear the kilt. Go for it !!
  • WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    utilikilt...some guys can look really hot in them, they are made of canvas so they aren't as warm as a wool one, and are cut with a more modern style.

If that's you in your avatar, I wouldn't laugh at you and say "you're wearing a skirt!"
  • Dilfster
    Dilfster Posts: 434
    Options
    tumblr_lfsns1POrg1qg12a9o1_500.jpg
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    kilts are badass. People who think otherwise are wrong.