Are we there yet? Man in a kilt - cool or dorky?

Options

Replies

• Tree72
    Tree72 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Personally love kilts, both traditional and modern. Also I live in a town where you'll sometimes see guys just hanging out or going out for the evening wearing them. (Our town slogan is "Keep Austin Weird", so YMMV.)

So, I say if you feel like wearing one, go for it. :drinker:
  • jedibunny
    jedibunny Posts: 321
    Options
    If you can claim any kind if Scottish heritage and wear a properly tailored kilt in your clan tartan, it's not only cool, it's as sexy as hell.

Under any other circumstances, you're just a man in a skirt.

My thoughts exactly.
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    It's a bit hypocritical of women to tell men not to wear skirts when we were denied pants for hundreds of years...

There could be a culture shift in a couple of years that swings it back into common usage, we don't know, but at the moment it's more of a rare thing. I usually see it at weddings when guys are being 'brave', and I know a guy who did a tall ships race to Scotland and got a McDonald clan kilt for his own namesake.

It's the 21st century, I say freedom in all things. If it suits you, go for it.

Oh please, ffs, he was asking for opinions. Yours is go for it, others have differing opinions.
  • WehttamThims
    WehttamThims Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    You couldn't be more of an attention *kitten*
  • numindan
    numindan Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    As a child of Scottish immigrants & pipers, I've grown up around men wearing kilts all my life. My da gifted his uncle's kilt to my husband many years ago and he's worn it to a number of formal and casual functions. With a Prince Charlie jacket, it's as formal as a tux (which hubs also owns) or, for less formal occassions, he'll wear it with a tshirt or Jacobean shirt. I look forward to the times he wears it.
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    Oh sure I could. :laugh:
  • WehttamThims
    WehttamThims Posts: 57 Member
    Options

HAAHAH Good one.
  • angied80
    angied80 Posts: 749
    Options
    Not going to lie. If I seen you I would prob stare.. but to each their own. If that is something you feel like wearing.. DO IT!
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    Passed a guy in one at a St. Paddy's Day race this weekend (thought they were a Scot thing, not Irish???). I think they are pretty neat in certain situations. Heck, even islanders sport some for of skirtish-wrap instead of shorts/ pants.

My question is... what kind of shoes does one wear with a kilt for casual outings?
  • numindan
    numindan Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    My question is... what kind of shoes does one wear with a kilt for casual outings?
    Hubs (military) wears his army boots with them for casual days and his ghillie brogues for more formal occassions.
  • Colofit
    Colofit Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Where do you live? I'm in England and LOVE it when we go to an occasion that some men turn up in Kilts!!! Go for it!!!!! (and enjoy the fresh air!!) !!! Add me if you like!
  • rammsteinsoldier
    rammsteinsoldier Posts: 1,556 Member
    Options
    A man in a kilt is very handsome!!!!
  • aclark6818
    aclark6818 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    AWESOME!!!
    :flowerforyou:
  • apriliamark
    Options
    I say cool, but don't overdo it/overuse it
  • rcc1988
    rcc1988 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Wear what you want and be proud!
  • rextcat
    rextcat Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    yeah i :heart: kilts. just make sure you get one that fits right
  • pamperedhen
    pamperedhen Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    As long as we can peek under!! :wink: Just kidding! I have a friend who wears one! I tell him that all the time!:flowerforyou:
  • jankleberry
    jankleberry Posts: 508
    Options
    Great for special occasions (weddings, for example), but unless you live in Scotland several hundred years in the past, douchey to wear casually.

Yes!

I'm in Scotland and no one wears them casually.
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    my husband has and wears his irish kilt that was hand crafted of wool and taylor made just for him, but he only really wears it for St. Patty's Day. I'd say just don't wear it all of the time. But, it's your body and your kilt, so do as you wish/see fit.
  • tamheath
    tamheath Posts: 702 Member
    Options

:laugh: