"Spike Day" Nonsense

Options

Replies

• joe7880
    joe7880 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Finally, like a Baptist Preacher, I’m going to conclude for a third time. There is something to the notion of taking break from your diet to regulate metabolism, etc. This is best accomplished by a week (or two) long “diet break” where calories are raised to maintenance level.

I also read somewhere (I think it was from Tom Venuto "burn the fat, feed the muscle" but I could be wrong) that going from maintenance level calories for x days to a significant deficit for x days and then back maintenance is much more effective than simply keeping a caloric deficit. Its almost like interval nutrition and I'm definately giving that a try. Thanks for reminding me and supplying some great info!
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    bump
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Hmmm I don't know actually. I use a cheat meal on my guys ONE meal a week. They have anything they like. When I drop this ONE calorie heavy meal per week the following week they can, when getting sub 10% get exhausted without the calorie bounce.

Whilst I fully understand the concept of leptin and t3 (having kept preaching the fact that starvation mode doesn't exist) I do know mental and physical tiredness is greatly increased.

Whether its simply the excess calories and glycogen refill for extra energy or not, I would not remove them from a diet from my guys and my guys always get ripped.

I'd also like to see how different people react - these tests are done on RATS. Therefore it is NOT the same as a TRAINED athlete who is carrying above normal levels of lean mass who's muscular is depleted of the glycogen they usually carry.

Just my 5c.

Again, I'm not saying that a high calorie day once per week is going to prevent you from getting ripped. As I talked about in the OP, there are benefits to raising calories periodically. But rising leptin isn't one of them.
  • PunkRockDad
    Options
    Great read. Thanks for posting and all the others for contributing to it.
  • crawpapa
    crawpapa Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    my head hurts....
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    I also read somewhere (I think it was from Tom Venuto "burn the fat, feed the muscle" but I could be wrong) that going from maintenance level calories for x days to a significant deficit for x days and then back maintenance is much more effective than simply keeping a caloric deficit. Its almost like interval nutrition and I'm definately giving that a try. Thanks for reminding me and supplying some great info!

Interesting theory, but hasn't been proven
  • kag1526
    kag1526 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I don't "spike" with any idea that it helps me lose more weight. I do it because there is no way I could tell my husband that I won't go out to eat to places like chilis or the cheesecake factory anymore without ruining my marriage. Eating out as a social activity is too important to him. There are things that we always ordered and shared and he still wants them (all of them) so they will be on the table. So I have made some small changes to make my eating on those days better but I'm still over my calories on those days. I will only do it once a week but I will still some of the foods I really enjoy. I am always way over on sodium those days too.

Maybe someday my husband will get on board and we will do these places even less often. Personally I would like every 2 weeks but he feels a bit deprived even cutting it to only once a week. If not I will deal with having my goals and results at a less then ideal level for the sake of my marriage.
  • NaturalinCO
    NaturalinCO Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I love it when someone can convey a message in a way ALL of us can understand! Thanks for this info.
  • slimmergalpal
    slimmergalpal Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Lance_K
    Lance_K Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • keiraev
    keiraev Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    Thats solid some solid progress. Well done there. I did free-for all weekend and gained 20lbs. 270.1 thursday morning. 291.8 this morning. I fail.

20lb in ONE WEEKEND, seriously? I can't understand that, that would be 70,000 calories over maintenance.
  • Sumo813
    Sumo813 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Gonna give this a good ol' "BUMP!"

Nice post!
  • Phrak
    Phrak Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Thats solid some solid progress. Well done there. I did free-for all weekend and gained 20lbs. 270.1 thursday morning. 291.8 this morning. I fail.

20lb in ONE WEEKEND, seriously? I can't understand that, that would be 70,000 calories over maintenance.

Not hard when you are a competitive eater.
  • Laoch_Cailin
    Laoch_Cailin Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    bump to read later x
  • MelanieAG05
    MelanieAG05 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    bump for later.....must investigate this further. thanks for posting!
  • Ambrogio1
    Ambrogio1 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    He uses moderate carbs, moderate fats and high protein. Ratio is 50p:25f:25c.

And eating at a deficit?

Correct, 300-400 cals.

I assume that is daily deficit that is.
    Thats a real nie subtle recomp.

As far as the thread goes. I could care less about leptin and care more about results.
    Good lesson the thread has been for all. Nice job getting the debate going
  • kaybelmore
    kaybelmore Posts: 124
    Options
    That's super informative. I'll keep my skip day since I'm at maintenance but it's good to know it wont really do any harm :) Thanks for posting!
  • Quiing
    Quiing Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Best post I've ever read on this forum. Helped me so much... thanks for this!
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

Not hard when you are a competitive eater.

srs?

Ever gone up against furious Pete? =)
  • mariposa224
    mariposa224 Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    Hehehe; I just use cheat days because I happen to really "need" to go out for all-you-can-eat sushi now and then!

This is pretty much how I use them. Some days I must eat ALL the food.

^^THIS. And other days I'm hardly hungry, ever.

Love me some sound science and some well-worded posts up in here. Preach it!

^^^ All of this! lol I've had a few days lately where I felt the need to "eat all the food," then yesterday I barely wanted to eat ANY of the food. lol I wish I had more days like yesterday! But thanks for this info! :)