"Spike Day" Nonsense

Options

Replies

• _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this, UponthisRock.

It's conceptually interesting, and I plan to apply it soon when I hit an interim weight goal I have been working on since October. It will be interesting to see what (if anything) a week of eating at maintenance level will do in the short-run as well as long-run. But, intuitively, I think the slow and steady approach works best, so the worst that will happen is I will hit my ultimate weight goal a week later. No big deal.
  • BeautifulScarsWECHANGED
    Options
    bump
  • stephaneb74
    stephaneb74 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    OK but THIS is grossly simplified..... leptin IS not the only appetite regulator, and it has lost a little of its "magical weight loss miracle hormone" power in the scientific community.
    Also leptin is not secreted in response to calories as the OP state.... or at least not directly..... which means that anything else broken in the system will affect how fat cells (secreters of leptin) release leptin and how leptin itself respond. Yes I am looking at you Insulin, and Melanocortins etc.....

I agree with OP, that the benefit of the spike day is mainly psychological but psychological doesn't mean that physiological changes occur in your body.....

Sooo if you fell like it, have a cheat/spike day.-.... or don't
  • Picola1984
    Picola1984 Posts: 1,133
    Options
    I have never been comfortable with the idea of splurging so drastically in one day

On the odd occasion I have thought about it is for a day where I don't work out, but then I would find it may become more an excuse to be over my cals
  • Phrak
    Phrak Posts: 353 Member
    Options

Not hard when you are a competitive eater.

srs?

Ever gone up against furious Pete? =)

Nah, would love to. I usually just putz around my locale. But a lot of my stuff comes from drunken bets. I decided to grab 3 xl pizza's for the walking dead on sunday. Ate 2 during the show, then ate the other just before bed. But my kryptonite is PB and Toast.
  • Tara4boys
    Tara4boys Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    bump
  • bunny1006
    bunny1006 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info! LOL @ like a baptist preacher!
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options

I assume that is daily deficit that is.
    Thats a real nie subtle recomp.

As far as the thread goes. I could care less about leptin and care more about results.
    Good lesson the thread has been for all. Nice job getting the debate going

Yes, correct.
  • thecazstewart
    thecazstewart Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Love the "Baptist Preacher" bit :bigsmile:

My problem is that whenever I splurge and have a "spike" day (without actually starting off to have one, but allowing food or preferences to "win"), my digestion hits back and I end up in the loo for several hours...

How anyone ever manages a full on "spike" day to the levels that have been written about and avoid feeling ill - I'm amazed! After keeping to a 1200-1400 calorie intake for over 4 years, my stomach rebels at anything nearing 2000.
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    thank you, I agree with this.

This is why I occasionally take a week or so off and it ALWAYS breaks my plateau. Sometimes I even lose weight during the "maintenance week"
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    In regards to leptin, if in fact it does have a major effect on metabolism, and if we can raise leptin levels through spiking one day a week, isn't 24 hours of elevated leptin a good thing? Even if we are talking about 14% percent of the week we have elevated leptin levels, isn't this a good thing? The diet is setup so even after spiking, the deficit is still there, so we are not eliminating it with the spike day. Also, don't forget when we are eating low carb while at a caloric deficit, it is thought that leptin sensitivity goes up so the actual effects of the spike day would be exaggerated.

Again, bottom line is I have seen this work so many times with the people I work with and thats what I am concerned about.
  • Matt_Wild
    Options
    IMO a full on spike DAY is merely binging.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

When you refer to a cheat meal where does that put the client at the end of the day in regards to total calories and macros? I'm assuming here that you are still ending at a surplus even though you're referring to the cheat as a cheat meal instead of a cheat day.
  • Ambrogio1
    Ambrogio1 Posts: 518 Member
    Options

F YEAH IT IS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL!!! BINGE BINGE BINGE
    But then Monday I am back on fultime like MANIAC! So Binging is a moot point.
    If some are weak and cannot come back to reality then don't do it but one meal vs one day. Similiar IMO
    Soem might not make it back from the meal

Everything is fine when structured IMO
  • Barribomb
    Barribomb Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    bump
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    In regards to leptin, if in fact it does have a major effect on metabolism, and if we can raise leptin levels through spiking one day a week, isn't 24 hours of elevated leptin a good thing? Even if we are talking about 14% percent of the week we have elevated leptin levels, isn't this a good thing? The diet is setup so even after spiking, the deficit is still there, so we are not eliminating it with the spike day. Also, don't forget when we are eating low carb while at a caloric deficit, it is thought that leptin sensitivity goes up so the actual effects of the spike day would be exaggerated.

Again, bottom line is I have seen this work so many times with the people I work with and thats what I am concerned about.

In theory, in might provide some benefit, but it's only a theory at this point.

Personally, I doubt it makes a dime's worth of difference.
  • Matt_Wild
    Options
    When you refer to a cheat meal where does that put the client at the end of the day in regards to total calories and macros? I'm assuming here that you are still ending at a surplus even though you're referring to the cheat as a cheat meal instead of a cheat day.

It isn't set - its a meal off dieting, thinking about training etc. It is a day to relax with the family and enjoy what they like.

In a day I could easily put away 15,000 calories if I put my mind to it, probably more.
  • tgh1914
    tgh1914 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options

I think one of the selling points of the Spike Diet (at least the one that's popular around here in MFP land) is that the leptin levels are allegedly raised for the whole week. OP is refuting this. I do think, however, that it could offer an energy/phsychological boost for that brief 24~ hour period. And I don't think OP is disputing that.

On another note, my rats are NOT gonna be pleased that I'm taking away their Spike Day :P
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    thank you, I agree with this.

This is why I occasionally take a week or so off and it ALWAYS breaks my plateau. Sometimes I even lose weight during the "maintenance week"

Now that is encouraging to read! Just a question: do you continue to track calories, and do you strive to hit your maintenance calorie level?
  • stephaneb74
    stephaneb74 Posts: 151 Member
    Options

I think one of the selling points of the Spike Diet (at least the one that's popular around here in MFP land) is that the leptin levels are allegedly raised for the whole week. OP is refuting this. I do think, however, that it could offer an energy/phsychological boost for that brief 24~ hour period. And I don't think OP is disputing that.

On another note, my rats are NOT gonna be pleased that I'm taking away their Spike Day :P

We all agree....
    But very few if any study are showing a reversal of leptin resistance (unless it is a serious genetic deficiency and that is less than 8% of obesity cases) so when you are already leptin resistant, you already have high levels of leptin in your body..... a spike will not do anything......

So once again spike diet theories is not, cannot be based on a leptin theory...... as op say..... enjoy it for the psychological effect....

And your rats won't care for spike day or not..... unless they are not healthy, they are very capable ofself-regulating their intake