Would you date someone whose religion is different than your

Options

Replies

• macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    I'm a Catholic with a master's degree (working towards a PhD) in Biology (gasp, evolutionary science!)
    You're the minority
    Surely you mean the minority of the Catholics YOU know. She's not the minority in my world of Catholics.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Also, the idea that one cannot having a logical/scientific mind and be religious is utter rubbish.

definitely

I'm a Catholic with a master's degree (working towards a PhD) in Biology (gasp, evolutionary science!)

You're the minority

Um ... no.
  • TinkrBelz
    TinkrBelz Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Then why do so many Christians get up in arms when people want to remove the Ten Commandments from courthouses?

I don't know, I'm not one of them. Yes, this country was founded by religious men and founded on Christian principles, but if the government wants to remove those parts of history from their buildings, let them. It won't affect me or my beliefs.

The reason why Christians get upset if the 10 Commandments are removed is because our country was founded upon Judea-Christian beliefs. Our founding fathers wanted us to have freedom of religion and not freedom from religion.

So, just having the 10 Commandments in courtrooms should not offensive, it is part of our history. If I went to a Muslim country and they had Muslim law on their walls, I would not be offended.

For everyone that says that Christians are not tolerant, I agree, there are very intolerant Christians. Just as there are intolerant Atheists. Atheists often attack Christians by saying, "I read the whole Bible" Or, "I believe in Science", "if you were able to think clearly you would see that there is no God." "I am highly intelligent and only idiots believe in God."

And guess what, those words are very offensive. I have no problem with a person not believing in Jesus or God. That is truly your choice. I may disagree with you on this issue, but this does not make me stupid or you stupid.

If I went to India and they had a Buddha on their government property, I would not be offended, India is a Buddhist country...I accept their beliefs. As a Christian, I am just saying accept our beliefs and do not get offended it you see a cross or a picture of baby Jesus. The US is a "Christian" nation. Now, if the government starts forcing people to believe in God and accept Jesus or they will be persecuted, then that is wrong and I would fight tooth and nail against that. Just like the Westboro Baptist Church...they are vile people and if they ever protested a funeral here, I would stand in front of them to protect the family of the fallen soldier.
  • sherrirb
    sherrirb Posts: 1,714 Member
    Options
    Being a Christian I think it is very important that you believe the same way. The bible does talk about you needing to be evenly yolk with the person you are with. This is my opinion ofcourse everyone has their own.

^This, as well as the fact that if you are a beleiver, the Bible is clear that the man is supposed to be the spiritual leader of the household. To date and then marry someone who doesn't have the same spiritual convictions as you do would be wrong.

As his wife, you would have to be under his guidance and what happens if he tells you on Sunday morning, "Hey honey, you and the kids aren't going to church today, I've decided we are all going to do..... ".

Chances are he's told you he's had a change of heart because he misses you. Do not be guiled by his words, but watch his actions. How does he react when you say you cant get together with him because you are going to Bible study or something else church related?
  • rml_16
    Options
    Then why do so many Christians get up in arms when people want to remove the Ten Commandments from courthouses?

I don't know, I'm not one of them. Yes, this country was founded by religious men and founded on Christian principles, but if the government wants to remove those parts of history from their buildings, let them. It won't affect me or my beliefs.

The reason why Christians get upset if the 10 Commandments are removed is because our country was founded upon Judea-Christian beliefs. Our founding fathers wanted us to have freedom of religion and not freedom from religion.

So, just having the 10 Commandments in courtrooms should not offensive, it is part of our history. If I went to a Muslim country and they had Muslim law on their walls, I would not be offended.

I don't care either way. But we're being told in this thread BY CHRISTIANS that the Old Testament is meaningless. So that means the Ten Commandments are no longer relevant.
  • soccerella
    soccerella Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Also, the idea that one cannot having a logical/scientific mind and be religious is utter rubbish.

definitely

You're the minority

Definitely true, but I've found its not as small a minority as I had originally thought. Just something that tends to not come up at work/school so it never really occurred to me to question it, but im always pleasantly surprised when religion does come up
  • bhalter
    bhalter Posts: 582 Member
    Options

For everyone that says that Christians are not tolerant, I agree, there are very intolerant Christians. Just as there are intolerant Atheists. Atheists often attack Christians by saying, "I read the whole Bible" Or, "I believe in Science", "if you were able to think clearly you would see that there is no God." "I am highly intelligent and only idiots believe in God."

And guess what, those words are very offensive. I have no problem with a person not believing in Jesus or God. That is truly your choice. I may disagree with you on this issue, but this does not make me stupid or you stupid.

If I went to India and they had a Buddha on their government property, I would not be offended, India is a Buddhist country...I accept their beliefs. As a Christian, I am just saying accept our beliefs and do not get offended it you see a cross or a picture of baby Jesus. The US is a "Christian" nation. Now, if the government starts forcing people to believe in God and accept Jesus or they will be persecuted, then that is wrong and I would fight tooth and nail against that. Just like the Westboro Baptist Church...they are vile people and if they ever protested a funeral here, I would stand in front of them to protect the family of the fallen soldier.

Very well said.
  • jaymek92
    jaymek92 Posts: 309 Member
    Options

all of those countries are lacking one thing that the united states has, though. the establishment clause. by having only the 10 commandments or a cross or a nativity seen or what have you on government property, they are putting christianity over every single other religion practiced in the united states.
    if they're going to have christian elements, they need to have elements for every other religion, too.
    the establishment clause also bans a national religion, so no, we are not a christian country anymore than we are a pastafarian country.
  • sjmgde
    sjmgde Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Athesists makes me sad.:frown: I feel bad that they do notblive in Jesus Christ. You all should rent or find the DVD series th Turth project and tat might open your eyes. Hell isscary adni woul dno want to face it. Will be praying for ALL athesists tonight
  • BillyC96
    BillyC96 Posts: 7,560 Member
    Options
    The very idea of eliminating countless potential partners that could make you deliriously happy on this basis just seems foolish to me.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    No fair, when so often Christians will start spouting "Old Testament" judgment as political dogma, i.e., "an eye for an eye" or whatever anti-gay or even anti-Onanism bit they've committed to memory. Often, Christians themselves spout "Mosaic Law" and defend it as an integral part of their faith. It's not surprising folks can't keep it straight when the believers themselves are often of two minds on the matter.

Nobody is perfect, and yes, there are Christians in the world who only take a redemptive view of Christianity when dealing with other Christians. But I don't know a single Christian who doesn't know the difference between the Old and New Testaments.

Mosaic Law IS an integral part of the Christian faith. The very purpose for Christ's sacrifice was to free us from it. How can you even believe in Christ if you don't acknowledge the reason for his life and death? That's why the Old Testament is still included in the Bible. But just because there was a new covenant doesn't mean everything in the Old Testament ceases to matter. You'll find that many Old Testament precepts are referenced in the New Testament. For instance, there are "anti-gay bits" in the New Testament. Read 1 Corinthians. In the Gospel of Matthew, Jesus himself refers to marriage as being between a man and a woman. The point of the new covenant and doing away with killing people for this sin or that one was not tolerance of sin but the idea that through faith in Christ, we can repent, we can seek and receive forgiveness, and we can achieve redemption.
  • mdundon09
    mdundon09 Posts: 66 Member
    Options

definitely

You're the minority

Definitely true, but I've found its not as small a minority as I had originally thought. Just something that tends to not come up at work/school so it never really occurred to me to question it, but im always pleasantly surprised when religion does come up

Completely true. I went to a public college and the VAST majority of the persons in my degree program had religious beliefs. They were not all Catholics, to be sure, but stood firm in their religion as well as in their intellectual and scientific pursuits.
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    It's more important to me that they share the same moral values/beliefs and not so much beliefs about "God" if that makes sense... the more important things are that you're (scuse the pun) singing off the same hymn sheet when it comes to your moral consciences. For example share the same beliefs on what is wrong/right/good/bad etc from a human point of view and not strictly a divine point of view. If I was with someone that didn't mind what I believed in, and didn't mock me for it, but at the root of everything, had the same moral beliefs/values then that would be fine. Church isn't everything and certainly doesn't prove a belief set of yours or define it. If you have to show others in that way then you're probably not thinking about the religion as it was intended...
  • MrsNelson0904
    MrsNelson0904 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I'm Christian and my husband is Mormon. We had this conversation early on in our relationship. Faith is very important to both of us. We have decided to raise our kids the way we were raised - reading the bible, saying their prayers and loving the Lord. We don't go to church but we have talked about joining in a Mormon service every no and then so the kids can learn about their daddy's faith. We have also considered joining a non-denominational church. We don't want to force any one belief on our kids. We both grew up finding our own religious path and that's what we want for our boys. It's all about understanding and compromise.
  • AmberJslimsAWAY
    AmberJslimsAWAY Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    <snip>

I'm glad that you see my point. Now a days, it is becoming more and more common, but before then it was unheard of. Good for you for "breaking the mold"
  • Thriceshy
    Thriceshy Posts: 707 Member
    Options

No fair, when so often Christians will start spouting "Old Testament" judgment as political dogma, i.e., "an eye for an eye" or whatever anti-gay or even anti-Onanism bit they've committed to memory. Often, Christians themselves spout "Mosaic Law" and defend it as an integral part of their faith. It's not surprising folks can't keep it straight when the believers themselves are often of two minds on the matter.

You realize there are around 38000 registered 'Christian' religions around the world. Not all Christians believe the exact same things, and some of these 'Christian' religions can also be regarded as non-Christian in their beliefs. Please, don't group me in the group of when Christians start spouting. Some of us are much more tolerant than others. Just like with any other belief system or political system, etc.

Please note that I repeatedly used the word "often" just to make sure that no one said, "Hey, don't generalize!"

It was intentional :-)
  • rml_16
    Options

Very well said.

Not well said. Didn't answer my question at all.

If the Old Testament is irrelevant, then so are the Ten Commandments. So what's the big deal if they're removed from the courtroom?
  • AmberJslimsAWAY
    AmberJslimsAWAY Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    Athesists makes me sad.:frown: I feel bad that they do notblive in Jesus Christ. You all should rent or find the DVD series th Turth project and tat might open your eyes. Hell isscary adni woul dno want to face it. Will be praying for ALL athesists tonight

People that are atheists are usually atheists because of the extensive research done on religion.
  • midnightryder
    Options
    bump
  • CountryBoy65
    CountryBoy65 Posts: 908 Member
    Options

I don't care either way. But we're being told in this thread BY CHRISTIANS that the Old Testament is meaningless. So that means the Ten Commandments are no longer relevant.

The Old Testament is not meaningless, however the covenant between man and God was changed with the death and ressurection of Jesus Christ. Whereas, in the OT, before Jesus, there were specific punishments stated for sins, and various sacrifices that had to be made to attone for sin. Jesus, however changed that, in that he took the punishment for the sins of the world, and was a living sacrifice for those who chose to believe in him and accept the gift of his sacrifice. The core teachings remain the same...the rules and values set forth by the Ten Commandments are still relevant.