Who has a dog?

Options
I have a dog that I rescued from the local pound. He is great. He is my fur-baby!

What I only realised this week is the amount of calories he makes me burn. I take him a huge big walk at the weekend and take him out 3 times a day for 20mins. I ordered a new HRM and I think I will see exactly what effect it has over a week.

Looking at my weight loss over the last couple of months it looks like I now have my diet at a maintain level but walking the dog is making the difference.

Yay to the dogs!

Replies

• inside_lap
    inside_lap Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    My doggie daughter keeps me active as well. Good for the heart in more the one way right? Congrats on your new family member!
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    I have a 100+lb yellow lab and a redbone coohound/whippet mix. Both are a workout to walk as they love to follow their noses and I have to keep them in line!
  • doonesbury
    doonesbury Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    4 year old Sheltie, Tippi. She loves our walks! YaY for dogs! :)
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    I have three. All are rescues and they all get walked daily, lol. They are a JRT, a dachshund, and a JRT/chihuahua mix.taking them to the dog park is a blast especially if they refuse to go get the ball...which means that I have to go get it, lol. It sure helps with sprints.
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Awww how cute! =]
    I have a chihuahua who's old =[ so he can't exercise with me. Still love him to pieces!
  • lucyford22
    lucyford22 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I've got a yellow lab. He was a blood donor animal for UC Davis that came up for retirement. He is my best friend and most loyal workout buddy. I even sold my elliptical because of him. I thought, "if I have time to do that kind of cardio I can do it with him so he can get exercise too."
  • AmberJslimsAWAY
    AmberJslimsAWAY Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    Almost 2 year old rescue mutt here. TONS of energy and it's amazing that having her MAKES me get out and walk. One because she is in a crate all day, so she needs to get outside, and 2 she LOVES her walks.
  • DalexD
    DalexD Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    8 year old Labrador, Evie :)
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I have a Boston Terrier and i love her to bits!! good for you for rescuing a dog. I volunteer for a BT rescue now and if we get another one its definitely gonna be a rescue.
    When the weather is cool enough, i take her running with me! :) shes a trooper. But now that its getting warm, no more runs for her.. just walks.
  • Danardeener
    Danardeener Posts: 255
    Options
    I have pugs. There is a saying about pugs, "never walk your pug farther than you want to carry them", and it is true....lol.
  • iamkateiam
    iamkateiam Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I have a 3.5 year old pit mix and he's awesome! When I get home from work, he follows me around until I get my running shoes on and we go for our jog/walk. They're great motivation.
  • aelarek
    aelarek Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I've got the sweetest, almighty 2 months old 75% chocolate lab, 25% Australian Shepard puppy. He is the cutest thing, but it dealthy afraid of cars. Any walking/training tips?
  • ltlemermaid
    ltlemermaid Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    We have 3 dogs- never a dull moment and they make for great walks :)
  • JennetteMac
    JennetteMac Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I'm with you all the way on this. My little dog is keeping me active, can't wait for the summer when we can be out longer. We walk every day at least twice and he goes faster than I probably would on my own. There's no room for "I don't feel like going out today", as he has to go, come rain, snow or any combination that gets thrown at us. Plus he loves me regardless, is great company and motivation, and has helped me make some walking buddies, which has helped my self confidence... Need I say more?
    Hope your success and happy dog times continue for a long time.:smile:
  • JillSkigirl
    JillSkigirl Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Yeah to Dogs!! Love my dog but she is recovering from a torn ACL (chasing the squirrels out of the yard). Vet said she is ready to start short walks once a day and slowly move up. We live on a lake so our summer walks are important and fun. I hope she is all ready for our daily 3 mile walks once summer hits!
  • ltlemermaid
    ltlemermaid Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    I've got the sweetest, almighty 2 months old 75% chocolate lab, 25% Australian Shepard puppy. He is the cutest thing, but it dealthy afraid of cars. Any walking/training tips?

Our chocolate lab was deathly afraid of the outside-garbage cans, cars, anything that made noise. It takes time but the more walks and different surroundings he is exposed to it will get better. He needs to learn that you will not let anything happen to him and that the noises etc won't hurt him-he will eventually get used to them and enjoy being outside. You can use treats if he likes them for when he is outside and around "scary" things too.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I have cats. They enjoy taking naps with me. I'm on my own for exercise.
  • Mrdoherty
    Options
    2 labs 1 black 1 chocolate. both adopted, both with special needs. can not walk them for more than 5 mins each.
  • jdp022
    jdp022 Posts: 11
    Options
    2 yorkies, a chihuahua and a german shepherd rule my home!
  • jonski1968
    jonski1968 Posts: 4,498 Member
    Options
    3 year old Border terrorist..