Why has cardio become a swear word on MFP all of a sudden?

Options

Replies

• killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    A lot of people that's pushing the "lift heavy" message loves to show pictures of their arms, so people can see their biceps and triceps, but what about their abs and legs? What is the heavy lifting doing for those areas?
    Have you not heard of deadlifts and squats?
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    A lot of people that's pushing the "lift heavy" message loves to show pictures of their arms, so people can see their biceps and triceps, but what about their abs and legs? What is the heavy lifting doing for those areas?

Seriously!? :laugh:

Look, I know nothing I say is going to change your mind because you know your body and all, but I'm still going to post this for anyone on the fence with an open mind about things.

Heavy lifting has done amazing things for every inch of my body, not just my arms.

arms2.jpg

11pounds-1.jpg

Not to mention that I went from running a 5k at a 9 minute mile pace to an 8 minute mile pace. So I'd say it's done some good things for more than just the physical appearance... it's made me able to do my cardio even BETTER!
  • muddyventures
    muddyventures Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I'm not much for profanity but, CARDIO, CARDIO, CARDIO. :) I actually love cardio and hate weights, I know I should do both but I love cardio and it is what works for me. No swear word here..
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    A strong cardiovascular system will go a lot further to increase your longevity and quality of life than a six pack. Cardio goes a long way to prevent a lot of diseases and the benefits are amazing. Let's face it...lifting weights is easier than doing an hour of intense cardio. :)

Cardio should always be your first priority. I don't care how much you can bench if your heart stops.

Yes, I do strength training also, but I'm smart enough to weigh the value of cardio and know it's worth.

I think it was Mark Twain that said something like better that people think you are a simpleton for keeping quiet than to speak and confirm thier suspicions.

I fine with your stating the benefits of cardio and I agree but the " bench press if your heart stops" and lifting weights being easier stuff is just plain ingnorant of the facts. If you think that those who lift do not develop some cardio benefit in the process you are misinformed. If you think lifting easier, then you must not do it very well. How is this kind of bull$$it adding to a reasonable and informed discussion??
  • frugalmomsrock
    frugalmomsrock Posts: 1,123
    Options
    I love my cardio. I love my strength training. I love my brisk walks with my boys in the stroller. All of it has a place in my fitness program. This is MY fitness pal, and I'll use it for what works for ME. ;)
  • lombrica
    lombrica Posts: 1,419 Member
    Options
    It is?!?

... when I can't do cardio... that's usually when I start swearing! LOL.
  • patricknsmith
    patricknsmith Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    To give you a very blunt answer; People are idiots. Everyone thinks they hold the magic key to getting in shape. There are too many people on here that think they know everything yet know close to nothing. In the end, everyone is different and you just have to do you and let others do them. I hate cardio, I'd rather lift weights than run anytime. But I know I have to utilize cardio as a part of my regimen if I want to truly be in shape. As long as you're out there putting in the effort results will come.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Let's face it...lifting weights is easier than doing an hour of intense cardio. :)

Only if you're doing it wrong :tongue: - I do my weights like a circuit, according to the heart rate chart in Garmin Training Center out of a half hour workout 20 min was spent in the "training zone". As a runner I share your bias towards cardio but (I know you're saying this tongue-in-cheek) but I can't discount the cardio benefits of strength training.
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    Let's face it...lifting weights is easier than doing an hour of intense cardio. :)

You're doing your weights wrong then. When I leave the weight room, one of three things is true;
    - Walking to the car park is slow, staggered and very, very painful.
    - Lifting my arms to drive my car is very, very painful.
    - Trying to stand up once I've driven home is very, very painful.

Lift to failure for an hour, then come back and declare the same is true.

No doubt! I am more of a "runner", but when I lift heavy, especially squats and deadlifts, my HR gets in the high 160s, and I seriously need to stand still to catch my breath after each set. I don't get that effect from just doing everyday cardio, maybe hill repeats or a track workout, but not from a long run or even a Tempo run.

I'm not sure why so many people are trying to argue one over the other. Things don't need to be so black and white. They both offer benefits, and to truly be the healthiest specimen you can be, you should be incorporating BOTH into your training schedule.
  • FORIANN
    FORIANN Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    A strong cardiovascular system will go a lot further to increase your longevity and quality of life than a six pack. Cardio goes a long way to prevent a lot of diseases and the benefits are amazing. Let's face it...lifting weights is easier than doing an hour of intense cardio. :)

Cardio should always be your first priority. I don't care how much you can bench if your heart stops.

Yes, I do strength training also, but I'm smart enough to weigh the value of cardio and know it's worth.

I think it was Mark Twain that said something like better that people think you are a simpleton for keeping quiet than to speak and confirm thier suspicions.

I fine with your stating the benefits of cardio and I agree but the " bench press if your heart stops" and lifting weights being easier stuff is just plain ingnorant of the facts. If you think that those who lift do not develop some cardio benefit in the process you are misinformed. If you think lifting easier, then you must not do it very well. How is this kind of bull$$it adding to a reasonable and informed discussion??

I obviously have a preference and favor cardio. There's value in both, but I do not think six sets on the bench offer more benefit than a sustained 60min of cardio at 80% of max HR.

I find it interesting that your 'relationship with God' is one of your biggest inspirations. His benevolence shines through you like a beam of sunshine. :)
  • geckofli
    geckofli Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    ScrewyChars-7531405
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    i feel like cardio helps me lose weight and look good with clothes on, and strength helps me tone up and look better naked.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    A lot of people love pushing weights. They believe that a person will have to eventually use weights one day in their lives and that's not true. A person doesn't have to lift weights to get muscular triceps, biceps, legs or abs. There is a such thing as body weight workouts.

Losing fat. I'm not talking about scale weight. I'm talking about fat. It takes time. Let me say losing 100% fat takes time. A person can lose fat and muscle or should I say lean body mass at the same time, but when you lose 100% fat, you will not lose lean body mass.

Just because a person lift weights 7 days a week, it doesn't mean they lose 100% fat fast. They can build muscle, but that muscle will be under fat.

I love cardio. If the next person doesn't. That's fine. But no one should think cardio is bad. Everyone should do what they feel is best for their body.
    In weight loss there is no such thing a 100% fat loss. When weight loss happens, even in the most ideal, perfect conditions with the moon in the right alignment, etc. lean muscle tissue will accompany it. If you don't accept this, then you're not familiar with physiology.

A.C.E. Certified Personal & Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Jen8np
    Jen8np Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that people here, as much as they pretend not to sometimes, fall victim to the diet/fitness fads. Less cardio must be a new one. I do cardio almost every day and lift every other or so (or do circuits that combine them). The heart is a muscle too, right? I'd almost rather have a wussy body figure and a healthy heart from cardio that vice versa.

But I don't know why all the cardio hate.

Your dead on. It is the newest fad and a lot of people believe it. You can have huge muscles but that doesn't mean you have a healthy heart. I wouldn't trade my cardio for anything!
  • SandersWifey
    Options
    I'm another runner - 4 times per week with my long run on Sundays, I also row, bike, swim and do weights.

I suspect that one reason cardio may get a bad rap has to do with all of the misinformation floating around out there about the "fat burning zone", as if it's some kind of magic bullet - it certainly seems like there are lots of personal trainers that don't understand it well.

Personally I think being able to run 20km is a far more useful skill than being able to bench press or deadlift some extraordinary amount of weight, we'll survive the zombie apocalypse.:laugh:

We just need to unabashedly speak up for ourselves!

Zombie apocalypse survival is my whole reason for cardio! :smokin:
  • jrdennis13
    Options
    I've noticed that people here, as much as they pretend not to sometimes, fall victim to the diet/fitness fads. Less cardio must be a new one. I do cardio almost every day and lift every other or so (or do circuits that combine them). The heart is a muscle too, right? I'd almost rather have a wussy body figure and a healthy heart from cardio that vice versa.

But I don't know why all the cardio hate.

Truth. I do the same thing, with longer distances. I aim for at least 6 miles a day even on circuit days (every other day). My fitness has improved vastly. Since 1 January, I've dropped 35 pounds and my RHR went from 85 to 47. For me cardio is essential, along with a clean diet.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Personally I think being able to run 20km is a far more useful skill than being able to bench press or deadlift some extraordinary amount of weight, we'll survive the zombie apocalypse.:laugh:

The problem with that is that even if you're able to run for hours on end, eventually, you'll tire. The zombie won't. They don't have a beating heart that feels physical fatigue, or a working brain that feels mental fatigue.

That's where you need to destroy the mo-fos. Most melee weapons require upper body strength.

Honestly, I see very little cardio-hate, even among lifters. I see a lot more weight-hate among people who love cardio.
  • piebird79
    piebird79 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    ...Personally I think being able to run 20km is a far more useful skill than being able to bench press or deadlift some extraordinary amount of weight, we'll survive the zombie apocalypse.:laugh:

Hmm....I'm pretty sure those who've spent a lot of time at the shooting range and have lots of ammo will be much more likely to survive a zombie apocalypse than runners or weight lifters.
  • piebird79
    piebird79 Posts: 201 Member
    Options

The problem with that is that even if you're able to run for hours on end, eventually, you'll tire. The zombie won't. They don't have a beating heart that feels physical fatigue, or a working brain that feels mental fatigue.

That's where you need to destroy the mo-fos. Most melee weapons require upper body strength.

Honestly, I see very little cardio-hate, even among lifters. I see a lot more weight-hate among people who love cardio.

Agreed! You're my hero btw.
  • queenie09
    queenie09 Posts: 25
    Options
    Not sure why it is a swear word on here. I hate to state the obvious but......Without your heart you will not survive, without cardio exercise your heart gets large, sloppy and lazy and doesn't pump right. So, why on earth would "cardio" not be good?

A combination of both is what we need. Because of cardio my resting pulse rate has dropped from 70 to 50. I think cardio is exceptional and the most important of all forms of exercise. Muscle burns more calories but isn't a healthy life about a good combination of both cardio/strength training.

trying to stay healthy for life.