Why has cardio become a swear word on MFP all of a sudden?

Options

Replies

• wish21
    wish21 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Well, I just started doing all Cardio (ZUMBA) and Only Cardio for 6-7x a week and for the months I have been on here I haven't lost weight, but I am losing weight with cardio. Cardio is great! I love it and won't stop till I reach my goals. I also drink a lot of water and eat 1639 cals a day w/o eating back exercise calories:smile:
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Seriously!? :laugh:

Look, I know nothing I say is going to change your mind because you know your body and all, but I'm still going to post this for anyone on the fence with an open mind about things.

Heavy lifting has done amazing things for every inch of my body, not just my arms.

arms2.jpg

11pounds-1.jpg

Not to mention that I went from running a 5k at a 9 minute mile pace to an 8 minute mile pace. So I'd say it's done some good things for more than just the physical appearance... it's made me able to do my cardio even BETTER!

Having just inspected every inch, I agree.
  • FORIANN
    FORIANN Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that people here, as much as they pretend not to sometimes, fall victim to the diet/fitness fads. Less cardio must be a new one. I do cardio almost every day and lift every other or so (or do circuits that combine them). The heart is a muscle too, right? I'd almost rather have a wussy body figure and a healthy heart from cardio that vice versa.

But I don't know why all the cardio hate.

Your dead on. It is the newest fad and a lot of people believe it. You can have huge muscles but that doesn't mean you have a healthy heart. I wouldn't trade my cardio for anything!

Bingo.

Both are valuable, but I personally believe cardio fitness is of greater importance.
  • natashamcn
    natashamcn Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I was a big believer in cardio until I started lifting. I get MUCH more of a work out and sweat on COMBINING my cardio and lifting than doing either alone. My body fat is somewhere around 18% (it used to be around 22-23% doing cardio). My theory on this is that my body became so conditioned from running outdoors that it no longer presented any kind of challenge. With lifting you can continue to up your weight and stay challenged. (And for those of you who suggest upping the incline on a treamill I did that too). I'm not saying cardio is bad in any way, in fact for many it can be a good start to exercising but I believe balance by doing both is probably best.
  • BootcampJunkie
    BootcampJunkie Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Lets just all agree to disagree.
  • Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Answer: it depends on your goal.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that people here, as much as they pretend not to sometimes, fall victim to the diet/fitness fads. Less cardio must be a new one. I do cardio almost every day and lift every other or so (or do circuits that combine them). The heart is a muscle too, right? I'd almost rather have a wussy body figure and a healthy heart from cardio that vice versa.
    Your dead on. It is the newest fad and a lot of people believe it. You can have huge muscles but that doesn't mean you have a healthy heart. I wouldn't trade my cardio for anything!
    It's not really a fad at all. I don't do any cardio and my heart is perfectly healthy; my pulse is around 50bpm at rest and I had heart problems as a baby/child. My approach to weights is perhaps different than to others, as my heart rate is usually over120 for the duration of my weight sessions and after finishing a set of compound lifts, you better believe I'm breathing heavily. I was a swimmer pre-weights, and both competed and coached (still do ocassionally) and my lung capacity and muscular endurance have sky-rocketed since I took up weights.

It's all about how you perform your exercises. Balls-Out as I like to call it, gives me a damn good cardiovascular workout as well.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

Honestly, I see very little cardio-hate, even among lifters. I see a lot more weight-hate among people who love cardio.

Totally agree! I am completly in favor of both and that's what I practice. I just don't get the stone throwing and most of it does seem to be directed toward the people who are mostly strength. It's just uncalled for.

PS: Great job on your body transformation! Major accomplishment. You look great!!
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    It's not really a fad at all. I don't do any cardio and my heart is perfectly healthy; my pulse is around 50bpm at rest and I had heart problems as a baby/child. My approach to weights is perhaps different than to others, as my heart rate is usually over120 for the duration of my weight sessions and after finishing a set of compound lifts, you better believe I'm breathing heavily. I was a swimmer pre-weights, and both competed and coached (still do ocassionally) and my lung capacity and muscular endurance have sky-rocketed since I took up weights.

It's all about how you perform your exercises. Balls-Out as I like to call it, gives me a damn good cardiovascular workout as well.

Again totally agree! I generally rest 1 minute to 90 seconds between sets. HR goes up into the 150s and drops no further than the 130s. Great cardio workout at the same time as strength. The numbers are similar to when I run and there are hills. I just don't get where this stuff about people who do strength having weak hearts comes from. It's just plain not true.
  • Summerlove1993
    Summerlove1993 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I never would have imagined that the topic of cardio vs. weight training could conjure up such an emotional debate. Wow!

I do both because in my experience, they both have great things to offer my body. I don't enjoy either, but I persevere for the sake of my health.

16215868.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    It's like saying, which is better? Bacon or cheeseburgers? They're both good, but best when together!
  • Summerlove1993
    Summerlove1993 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Well said!

16215868.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Cardio leads to "skinny fat" and some people seem to have issues with the whole "skinny fat" look and think that every muscle should be worked hard and defined.. Yea sure I do strength training but I do not wanna get "ripped"

I'd like to have a "skinny fat" body.. But if people hear me say that I get stick for it

Nothing wrong with cardio, I do it because I like to burn lots of calories and have icecream for dessert
    I also do it for cardiovascular health.
    Some people do a lot of cardio and create huge deficits, that's where the 'skinny fat' problem might come in.
    It is good to incorporate strength training sessions in.

But honestly, are you sure you know what you're saying with wanting to be skinny fat.. You are NOT at risk of getting really ripped doing strength training..
    And would you rather your body look like this

Skinny-Fat1.jpg

Or this

allison_stokke-350.jpg
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I wish I looked that GOOD when I was skinny fat. :cry:

And that's just the thing... people who are skinny fat doesn't necessarily look bad, or skinny, or fat. They're often just look a lot heavier than they are. I looked about the same at 130 5-6 years ago when I was skinny fat as I did at 140 a year ago, at least fully dressed. Under my clothes, I was firmer at 140 last year.
  • thistimeismytime
    thistimeismytime Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Hey here's a thought... Let's all stop posting on this silly thread and get out there and lift some weights!!!!! ...and then do some cardio!! (tee hee hee, no offense but this argument is hands-down the silliest thing I've ever heard! It's akin to the argument of whether the toilet paper should go over or under!!) WHO CARES???!?!? Do what you wanna do and quit arguing!!! Y'all are so funny ;D
  • wish21
    wish21 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I guess with me (maybe others to) I want to get the weight off. I want to get as far away from that obese BMI line. Cardio is the way to go -- for me anyways. I can always go back once i'm at a healthy weight and tone up/lower body percentage.
  • MFPAddict
    MFPAddict Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    Kind of tired of seeing this at the top of My Topics section. Bump to get it to a second thread soon!
  • HorrorChix89
    HorrorChix89 Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    I feel like trolling...well you'll say I am anyway because I don't agree with you.

I don't lift weights much. Only thing I do is play with the machines for 30 minutes then go run to my Zumba class. In between I chug a bottle of vanilla protein. No dead lifts for me. If I can't have the body I want with treadmills, walking, and Zumba then I don't want it bad enough I suppose.
  • HorrorChix89
    HorrorChix89 Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    Btw can't you be skinny without being fat at teh same time? Cause I just wanna be skinny. Not boney, but small and tiny. My stomach is never going to go away, cause I eat horribly and don't complain about it (much). Not sure how cardio makes you skinny-fat if weight lost is just eating less than what you burn.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Btw can't you be skinny without being fat at teh same time? Cause I just wanna be skinny. Not boney, but small and tiny. My stomach is never going to go away, cause I eat horribly and don't complain about it (much). Not sure how cardio makes you skinny-fat if weight lost is just eating less than what you burn.

If the calorie deficit is too high, or your protein intake is too low, you'll lose a lot of lean mass as well, leaving you skinny-fat; i.e. small, light, but with a high bodyfat:lean mass ratio.