Obese woman wants to become world's fattest

Options

Replies

• BlessedShauna777
    BlessedShauna777 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    This thread is really interesting. I hope I don't get flamed for this, but I'm actually quite surprised by the responses here. I just found MFP this month and, aside from the convenience of the iPhone app, the thing that has most impressed me is the community of people. Up to this point, I have encountered so much positive energy, so many people cheering each other on, not being judgmental...

This thread though, is full of some hate, and I don't get it. I'm not excusing this woman's behavior, and I agree it's not a "healthy" lifestyle. But it's her body and her life. I understand how the fact that she has children makes this a selfish decision on her part, but aren't most of us here because we've made similar selfish decisions?

One of my biggest motivations is that I want to be able to keep up with my 5-year old. But what have I been doing for the last five years? Failing to get in shape and take good care of myself. Am I disgusting? Am I mentally sick? I spend a lot of time with my kid - I think I'm a great dad. But I have not been taking care of my body and it is affecting my ability to keep up with him a little. Do I deserve the same kind of derision this woman is receiving?

Is the difference that we *want* to change? Is it because she has accepted and even embraced her weaknesses that makes us angry at her? Does she represent the part of us that we self-loathe - the inability to make good choices for our bodies? Does it make us feel better about ourselves to judge her? I am genuinely curious.

Do you have kids sir? Because if you did, you would undertand first and foremost, if you as the parent want to give your children the best in life, one has to ensure that they take care of themselves FIRST. No one will love and care for my children like I will. PERIOD.
  • prettylyzard
    prettylyzard Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I feel bad for her kids....it'll suck when they don't have a mom!
  • BlessedShauna777
    Options
    I feel horrible for her kids. Those babies will be without a mother very soon. :(
    If that is the kind of person she is, they will be better off. I'm not going to fall into the "oh, the babies need their mother" mantra, UHHHH, NO THEY DON'T.

Every child wants there father AND mother. I am a newly single mother. Please spare me.
  • ekz13
    ekz13 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    the minute she said that.... they should cut her health insurance, no reason we have to pay for her stupidity
  • JigglyPig
    JigglyPig Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    This thread is really interesting. I hope I don't get flamed for this, but I'm actually quite surprised by the responses here. I just found MFP this month and, aside from the convenience of the iPhone app, the thing that has most impressed me is the community of people. Up to this point, I have encountered so much positive energy, so many people cheering each other on, not being judgmental...

This thread though, is full of some hate, and I don't get it. I'm not excusing this woman's behavior, and I agree it's not a "healthy" lifestyle. But it's her body and her life. I understand how the fact that she has children makes this a selfish decision on her part, but aren't most of us here because we've made similar selfish decisions?

One of my biggest motivations is that I want to be able to keep up with my 5-year old. But what have I been doing for the last five years? Failing to get in shape and take good care of myself. Am I disgusting? Am I mentally sick? I spend a lot of time with my kid - I think I'm a great dad. But I have not been taking care of my body and it is affecting my ability to keep up with him a little. Do I deserve the same kind of derision this woman is receiving?

Is the difference that we *want* to change? Is it because she has accepted and even embraced her weaknesses that makes us angry at her? Does she represent the part of us that we self-loathe - the inability to make good choices for our bodies? Does it make us feel better about ourselves to judge her? I am genuinely curious.

Do you have kids sir? Because if you did, you would undertand first and foremost, if you as the parent want to give your children the best in life, one has to ensure that they take care of themselves FIRST. No one will love and care for my children like I will. PERIOD.

Yes, he has kids. He said that he wants to be able to keep up with his 5 year old, etc. So yes, he has kids.
  • juliesummers
    juliesummers Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    How is she allowed to keep her children?
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Il_DaniD_lI Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options

I think I speak for everyone when I say that I don't really care what this women does to her body, like you said it's HER body.
    That being said, this women has 2 small children in HER care. She is deliberately hurting her children by doing this, in so many ways. She is setting a bad example, setting herself up to die and leave her children with her sister, spending her family income on thousand of calories a day, putting her family through public scrutiny, the list goes on. Imagine how these children feel seeing their mother this way? It would be traumatizing to say the least.
  • BlessedShauna777
    Options
    I feel horrible for her kids. Those babies will be without a mother very soon. :(
    If that is the kind of person she is, they will be better off. I'm not going to fall into the "oh, the babies need their mother" mantra, UHHHH, NO THEY DON'T.
    Another point sir, yes you are correct. Not every child NEEDS their mother nor father. But I'll ensure you, every child WANTS their mother and father. No person wants to be left alone. Whether it a parent killing herself eating or killing himself doing drugs. Again SPARE ME.
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    If she wants to look like that and is comfortable with it, then more power to her. The only thing I disagree with is the major health risks. She's gonna eat herself to death.
  • JigglyPig
    JigglyPig Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    From the article: "I go for a waddle..."
  • BlessedShauna777
    Options

I think I speak for everyone when I say that I don't really care what this women does to her body, like you said it's HER body.
    That being said, this women has 2 small children in HER care. She is deliberately hurting her children by doing this, in so many ways. She is setting a bad example, setting herself up to die and leave her children with her sister, spending her family income on thousand of calories a day, putting her family through public scrutiny, the list goes on. Imagine how these children feel seeing their mother this way? It would be traumatizing to say the least.

Amen. Enough said
  • TubbsMcGee
    TubbsMcGee Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Yuck, I remember this article from last year.

I love how enthused the children look.

I remember someone else posted this topic back in August when it first came out...
    America, look at what your tax dollars are paying for! A land-sea-cow
    :laugh:
  • galaxyhearts
    galaxyhearts Posts: 258 Member
    Options

I have mixed feelings about this and here's why.

I agree that *Some* of the comments on this thread are a little disturbing because I think people toe a line between being appalled at the woman and being disrespectful of others. It's not funny to suggest the woman be used as a blimp, that's offensive to anyone who has been overweight.

On the other hand, it's not fair to compare the feedback on this post to the support that people give on MFP. I feel like I can be equally supportive of you and your efforts and disgusted at this woman and her ignorance. Does she represent our weaknesses? In a way, maybe, but on the whole, I don't think so. This is an extreme case, in my opinion - because most people, I believe, even if they were not making an effort to change, knew that their lifestyle was unhealthy.

This woman seems to be taking an ultimately ignorant stance; saying that she can eat 20,000 calories a day and still consider herself healthy is just ignorance. If she wants to go ahead and do that, it doesn't directly affect my life, but I can't even feel sympathy for someone who displays such an inherent lack of intelligence. Because this is just stupid.

Rest assured, there are likely people on MFP who were at one point, health and diet wise, at a similar point to this woman. But in most cases, they knew it was a problem. This woman chooses to ignore that it's a problem, chooses to say it's in fact the opposite - and I think that's what's causing the outrage.
  • ekz13
    ekz13 Posts: 725 Member
    Options

not speaking for everyone, but taking a guess...

I think most people here are generally just living their lives, we work, we take care of our families, we overeat sometimes... and by doing that, we generally don't pay attention to what we are eating (I know I love to put a hurtin on some red robin) but then the weight catches up to us and we look and say "whooops" and now we've come here to fix what we don't like (ie.. the weight)

now, we aren't sick or mental or whatever, we just kind of lost sight of the big picture and how much we are eating and not working out to maintaiin a healthy balance..

this woman on the other hand, in the name of a record and her 15 minutes of fame is ACTIVELY destoying herself and her family by trying to excessivly eat herself into an early grave at the expense of her body and her family.

I think that's the major difference.

and yes, it's her body , her choice, etc... it's just sad that her family has to suffer, and aside from the tax dollars that she's going to waste (police, fire, ambulance, etc) it doesn't affect me in the slightest.
  • violetness
    violetness Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    She needs a shrink. I hope someone will help her.

LOL - pun intended?
  • la8dcruz
    la8dcruz Posts: 82 Member
    Options

:noway: WOW!!!!! This story is interesting....... It's not about judgment..... it's about education. We must all be reminded that not everyone has the same goals in life as we do and that there are people that support unhealthy lifestyles. As you have stated, we want to change for the better.... she has decided to change for the worst. I don't think anyone supports the idea of "accepting" weaknesses because everyone here is about supporting improvement of self. This is not about how she looks, it is about the state of mind of giving into an unhealthy life and not taking into consideration of how her children will be effected by negative decisions that could cost them their mother. I'm sending prayer out to all of them..... NOW... BACK TO MY LIFE :happy:
  • pauljsolie
    pauljsolie Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Another point sir, yes you are correct. Not every child NEEDS their mother nor father. But I'll ensure you, every child WANTS their mother and father. No person wants to be left alone. Whether it a parent killing herself eating or killing himself doing drugs. Again SPARE ME.
    In your case, probably so but I can assure you not every child wants the TYPE of parent they have, kids are a lot smarter than we give them credit for. Go ahead mama, kill yourself because you won't be coming to our school activities, or taking us to the playground, or take us school shopping anyway and even if you could, you'd embarrass the hell out of us!!!!
  • ShawnaCurley
    ShawnaCurley Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    That is just down right disturbing! And gross!

Besides that, who could really eat that many calories?? That is alot of food!
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Opus649 wrote:

Sir, I thank you for being the voice of reason after 4 pages of reaction, counter-reaction and vitriol. I found it sad, Opus, that you did get flamed and by folks who didn't have the decency to read and digest your response, but you also generated some great responses too who took that debate further.

While I cannot condone the actions of either of these women in the OP's articles, nor the actions of the people who actively support these women in their misguided ventures, the fact remains that if you are FAT you are going to suffer prejudice and abuse, be that from the media or from strangers in the street or members of your own family & friends.

Obesity can lead to health issue, but not all fat people are intrinsically unhealthy. Likewise, even the fittest people can keel over and die for no apparent reason.

We all have different "motivations" for losing weight and getting fit. And we all have different methods of achieving our goals.

I think there are a lot of folks on sites like MFP who lose weight and then forget that they too were once fat and made bad choices. It's not always that easy to make the decision to turn your life around and strive for a better way of life. Just as ex-smokers are often the most militant anti-smoking campaigners, it would seem that some some ex-fatties have issues with other fat people who have not yet reached the point in their lives where they are ready, determined and committed to lose weight.
  • karenwill2
    karenwill2 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I made the mistake and watched the beginning of her video. I lost my appetite.
This discussion has been closed.