How to calculate calorie goals according to NROLFW

Options

Replies

• half_moon
    half_moon Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    1,833 calories on NON work out days!?? I'm taking in 1200 and netting less than that. How can I eat that much? AH STRESS.

Maybe I'll up to around that number when I plateau... Wow. That's a lot.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    1,833 calories on NON work out days!?? I'm taking in 1200 and netting less than that. How can I eat that much? AH STRESS.

A lot compared to 1200.

How about compared to what you used to eat that got you into spot you want to lose weight now, when you might not have been exercising either?
    How much did you use to eat then on less active lifestyle?

Most have no idea to compare. Most would be surprised to find they ate 1000 more than 1800.
  • PoshTaush
    PoshTaush Posts: 1,247
    Options
    Does anyone have a calculus degree? THX!

Thanks for posting! :laugh: :wink: :happy: :tongue:

This actually makes me feel a lot better for upping my daily goal to 1800. It's still a lot less than what this formula suggests, but much more than I was trying to stay under.
  • chlorisaann
    chlorisaann Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    I've found that if you're short, older than 30, and in the overweight BMI range, you get screwed on calories using the NROL4W way. It calculated my maintenance at 1500. If I was to take the recommended 300 deficit, that brings me right back to 1200. Can't eat that little anymore. When I try it just leads to binging. I'm using my own method now.
  • chantalm15
    chantalm15 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    bump. thanks girl :)
  • fittiephd
    fittiephd Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I've found that if you're short, older than 30, and in the overweight BMI range, you get screwed on calories using the NROL4W way. It calculated my maintenance at 1500. If I was to take the recommended 300 deficit, that brings me right back to 1200. Can't eat that little anymore. When I try it just leads to binging. I'm using my own method now.

I could see that happening, it's good that you recognize what you need for caloric intake and are doing what's best for your body :)
  • ShannanRocks
    ShannanRocks Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    bump
  • sunshinesonata
    sunshinesonata Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to do all that math for yourself there is a spreadsheet specific to NROL4W:

http://maggiewang.com/2008/05/20/new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-diet-calculator-and-workout-logs

Click the link in the white box in the middle of the page that says: Download: New Rules of Lifting for Women Diet Calculator and Workout Logs

login: perturbation
    password: dominance

:flowerforyou:

Aww....I'm sorry. I guess it doesn't work. :( It was really good too....sorry girls!

It worked for me!
  • saraann3344
    Options
    bump
  • DinahKyle
    DinahKyle Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    bump.

I am going to clarify this with my dietitian when I see him on Monday (for the first time :S) - but if this is true it could explain a) my plateau and b) my grumpiness if I am not getting enough!
  • DinahKyle
    DinahKyle Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Also, has anyone tried the whole eating-like-you're-at-your-goal-weight-already thing??
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Also, has anyone tried the whole eating-like-you're-at-your-goal-weight-already thing??

Go look at the hundreds doing it on the Eat More to Weigh Less Group.

And that means eat more than current deep deficit but less than previously.
  • foranagirl
    foranagirl Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    save
  • yecatsml
    yecatsml Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • foranagirl
    foranagirl Posts: 64 Member
    Options

I have found that too....with 300 calorie cut I'm under my RMR (actual...to the extent possible based upon a MetaCheck breathe test), not calculated). So I am going to set MFP at RMR at eat all exercise calores. Won't be started NROL for a while, but am lifting with a trainer
  • kimmae17
    kimmae17 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    bump
  • sscad
    sscad Posts: 73 Member
    Options

A lot compared to 1200.

How about compared to what you used to eat that got you into spot you want to lose weight now, when you might not have been exercising either?

Most have no idea to compare. Most would be surprised to find they ate 1000 more than 1800.

This is SO true. I've known about BMR and the need to eat more for a while now, but I haven't really starting do the research behind it until recently. I've already upped my calorie intake for a while now, but am beginning to realize I can and should up it even more, and it's scary to look at that number. But YES you are totally right. I know in the past when I logged calories, on "bad" days, I'd start nearing 2000 and that seemed like binge mode for me- but what about those days in the past when I didn't even use logging to sort of keep me on track? Those were probably terrible. Especially now that I'm learning how easy it is to underestimate a meal's calorie worth. I think you've made a great point, and everyone should think about this.
  • fittiephd
    Options

A lot compared to 1200.

This is SO true. I've known about BMR and the need to eat more for a while now, but I haven't really starting do the research behind it until recently. I've already upped my calorie intake for a while now, but am beginning to realize I can and should up it even more, and it's scary to look at that number. But YES you are totally right. I know in the past when I logged calories, on "bad" days, I'd start nearing 2000 and that seemed like binge mode for me- but what about those days in the past when I didn't even use logging to sort of keep me on track? Those were probably terrible. Especially now that I'm learning how easy it is to underestimate a meal's calorie worth. I think you've made a great point, and everyone should think about this.

People seem to think that 2000 calories is like the devil. For most people, 2000 calories is the regular amount to maintain your daily weight, which is why it's the daily recommended calorie intake from the government boards etc. some people should be at 1800 if they're smaller or work a sedentary job and some people should be at 2200 or 2400 if they're bigger or work a construction or physically demanding job, it depends on what work for you. But either way 1200 is a very low amount of calories that is dangerous to ones health in almost all scenarios. Its better to just be healthy. Glad everyone is looking at this thread and I hope some people are heeding the advice!!!! If anyone has questions feel free to email me.
  • fittiephd
    Options

I have found that too....with 300 calorie cut I'm under my RMR (actual...to the extent possible based upon a MetaCheck breathe test), not calculated). So I am going to set MFP at RMR at eat all exercise calores. Won't be started NROL for a while, but am lifting with a trainer

This is probably true, calculations like this only work for the majority of people, not for everyone. They are standardized over calculated data acquired from people, but this wont work for everyone because everyone is a little different. In this case it makes more sense to eat around 1500 or 1600 and see if it works for you. It's all a trial and error.