How to calculate calorie goals according to NROLFW

Options

Replies

• fittiephd
    fittiephd Posts: 608 Member
    Options

I AM SCARED.

Don't be afraid food is fuel. Try upping to 1500 or 1600 and then continue upping :) Take it slow it will be ok.
  • magpie0
    magpie0 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Did you complete this program while eating a deficit? You look amazing! My body fat is pretty high for my weight(~24%) and I'm wondering if it's worth investing in this program at this point. Did you experience the 'noob gains' of losing fat while gaining muscle?

Thanks!
  • woodsy0912
    woodsy0912 Posts: 323
    Options
    Bummmp. Going to be starting this next month and I am nervous.
  • runny111
    runny111 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this, I am 3 lbs from goal, and have a healthy 21.5 BMI and am 23-24% body fat. I plan to focus on NROLW when I hit goal and finish this half marathon I am training for.

....I have been weight training 1-2 days a week, for 9months, along with my running.
  • fittiephd
    Options
    Did you complete this program while eating a deficit? You look amazing! My body fat is pretty high for my weight(~24%) and I'm wondering if it's worth investing in this program at this point. Did you experience the 'noob gains' of losing fat while gaining muscle?

Thanks!

I'm not sure if I did or not because I did not weigh in on the scale for a month when I started. But within the first 3 months of doing this program I lost 11 inches all over. My weight stayed relatively the same until about 9 months into lifting I started gaining a few lbs but since my measurements have only improved I believe that this was muscle gain, as in a slow bulk. But this didnt happen until months later and it was only good :) Like I said, my measurements and body fat have only improved.

The book is pretty great for beginners! LiveFit is also pretty good. It's not really an "investment" because the book is only like 12 dollars haha. I guess a gym membership is pricey if you don't already have one.

I did complete the program at a deficit, but only a small one. 100-200 calories depending on how I felt. And I always ate back exercise calories :) I followed the calorie guidelines in the book and outline here.
  • phyllisann26
    phyllisann26 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • 61Sarie
    61Sarie Posts: 5
    Options
    Bump
  • durangocal
    durangocal Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    Bump again.
  • karach2005
    Options
    Bump. Great info. Thanks!
  • jlc5261
    jlc5261 Posts: 1
    Options
    Is this for those who are lifting weights, or for those who do general exercise as well? (I do a mix - sometimes Jillian Michaels, sometimes runnings, sometimes biking). I'd rather focus on fat loss than anything.

I'm a bit skeptical, though. What makes this so different from before when I would try to work out and eat around a net of 2000 (Before I really started to calculate) and still not loose any weight? I slowly went down to a net of 1300 (I'm 5'4 at 164 pounds) and progress is very very slow - but it was a lot of work to get to this point. I've been tired a lot lately, and reading this makes me wonder if my lower calories are why - but I also wasn't loosing weight when I was eating more calories.

Thoughts and suggestions are great appreciated!
  • fittiephd
    Options
    Is this for those who are lifting weights, or for those who do general exercise as well? (I do a mix - sometimes Jillian Michaels, sometimes runnings, sometimes biking). I'd rather focus on fat loss than anything.

I'm a bit skeptical, though. What makes this so different from before when I would try to work out and eat around a net of 2000 (Before I really started to calculate) and still not loose any weight? I slowly went down to a net of 1300 (I'm 5'4 at 164 pounds) and progress is very very slow - but it was a lot of work to get to this point. I've been tired a lot lately, and reading this makes me wonder if my lower calories are why - but I also wasn't loosing weight when I was eating more calories.

Thoughts and suggestions are great appreciated!

Hey, yes this is for everyone, it's just nutrition. Your body needs food for fuel. Please see the PM I sent you with more info!!
  • Mjandjt
    Mjandjt Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Thanks!! :flowerforyou:
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    ba bump
  • Dumbbelle
    Dumbbelle Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi. I just started reading NROLFW, but I'm having trouble calculating my calorie requirements. My weight is 90kg (198lb), my height is 1.67m (5"5) and my BMI is 32. There is no option for me to calculate my calorie needs. It stops at 25. Please help!
  • Dumbbelle
    Options
    Hi. If you type in NROLF diet calculator and workout logs, you'll get access to the spreadsheet.
    If you don't want to do all that math for yourself there is a spreadsheet specific to NROL4W:

http://maggiewang.com/2008/05/20/new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-diet-calculator-and-workout-logs

Click the link in the white box in the middle of the page that says: Download: New Rules of Lifting for Women Diet Calculator and Workout Logs

login: perturbation
    password: dominance

:flowerforyou:

Aww....I'm sorry. I guess it doesn't work. :( It was really good too....sorry girls!
  • Dumbbelle
    Options
    Ladies, type 'NROLF diet calculator and workout logs' into your browser and you can download the spreadsheet diet calculator and workout logs. It's brilliant...it works out all your calories needs for you on your workout and non-workout days right down to the quantity of carbs, proteins and fats on the specific days. Really simplifies everything:smile:
  • CharleneExtreme
    Options
    My tested RMR is 1454. Something seems off.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    My tested RMR is 1454. Something seems off.

And that is your resting metabolism if you sat awake and did nothing else all day, no eating, no moving. Which of course is not near your daily burn if exercising, and what those formula's are trying to get.
  • LAnne16
    LAnne16 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    As with many of these other ladies, the numbers seem to be a little scary...

Non-workout days: 1964 with the 300 subtracted
    Workout days: 2417 with the 300 subtracted

I was on a 1600 calories and lost 7 lbs, but then I stopped losing for a month... Now I've upped to 1800 because of starting NROLFW yesterday but I'm scared of the idea of raising it more and gaining back the small amount I've lost...