Are Fit women the most hated group in America?

Options

Replies

• Ripken818836701
    Ripken818836701 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I have not read every response so may very well be repeating what has already been posted.

To the OP...you seem to have unilaterally taken a body type you find appealing and declared it "fit" and then judged negatively every lady that does not measure up to that as being unhealthy.
    Has anyone said that any guy who is not chiseled with sharply defined abs is not fit or healthy?
    I doubt it very much so perhaps you should accept that healthy in women also can be different sizes,shapes and level of toning.
    I dont find the girl that I call fit to be as attractive as other body types. I'm more of a Kim Kardashian, (body type only) Beonyce type of guy. And no one ever puts down the chiseled guy!! Thats my entire point.
    The same women that think the heavier women are more attractive and bash the thinner women, pick Tim Tebow, Usher, Markie Mark, David Beckem, Hugh Jackman etc. as their perfect mates etc. when asked. You never even see a thread etc. were people are asked to pick between a heavy Elvis etc. and Usher etc, and then bash Usher. Because its perfectly acceptable to be a thin or cut guy in America even by the people who bash thin or fit women.
  • careyayn22
    Options
    I've been thinking about this topic and wanted to come back to it.

Someone posted an ironic statement about thin, white, young, attractive, straight people are the most discriminated people.

That is what gives me a bad vibe about this thread. I really do understand what the "point" of the OP was and overall I agree. We should not be judging others and putting them down. I think we learned that in elementary school...and yet it still exists. I'm not sure how to eradicate it, but I think calling people on it, like the OP did, is a start.

However, the hyperbole of "most hated group" really bothered me. You hear more "thin bashing" because the thin are not oppressed. The thin can move freely without being discriminated against. Personal anecdotes aside, a thin person may have to deal with some jealous ol biddies or being ogled by the opposite sex, but out and out discrimination and non access based on normal or thin weight just doesn't (or extremely rarely) happens. If they are denied access it is due to other oppressed statuses (gender, race, sexual orientation, etc...)

ETA::: Fat people are talked about. They are talked about all the time, but you don't hear it directly from regular "nice" people in polite society because the obese are actively discriminated against. "Nice" people don't tell racist or homophobic jokes, but they turn around and talk in subtle innuendos "Oh, I'm not racist but...." They quietly discriminate in their hiring practices. They make laws or rules that ensure certain people do not have access...but they don't talk about it. They tell blond jokes, and make snide comments about someone being too thin or poke fun at "fat cats" on Wall Street or in politics.. .because those topics are safe and acceptable because they are not "oppressed" people.

Please don't think I am condoning that saying mean things about thin people is OK. It isn't, but I certainly don't think there is serious "hate" for skinny women.
  • Chipmaniac
    Chipmaniac Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    There are I think way more obese people in the United States than fit people, so it is the norm being fit seems to be out of the norm...
    Actually, that's a gross exaggeration. Something like 30% of adults are obese, so they (actually 'we' until a couple days ago) are not a majority.

As for the topic, I don't think it's right to bash anyone for their appearance. However, I do understand why there is blow back against the current ultra-thin ideal that has been foisted upon us the last decade or so. It's not like a perfectly fit body is being trumpeted by Hollywood and the fashion industry as ideal. Instead, the ideal they have been selling is thinner than what most medical professionals consider healthy. This has led to more and more eating disorders and body dysmorphia as women, especially teenagers, attempt to reach not only an unrealistic ideal but an unhealthy one. Knowing this, people are pushing back a bit against this size 0 trend. I don't join them, but I understand the reasoning behind it.
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Simple answer: Fat bashing is not okay. Skinny bashing is.

I must be living in a completely alternate reality. I don't know, maybe America is different but fat bashing is the most (or only) acceptable form of discrimination here. I see people fat bashing on the internet every day. Not to mention all the negative stereotypes associated with being overweight - laziness, gluttony, greed, lack of willpower. What stereotypes are associated with people of a healthy BMI? That they eat healthy, workout, they take care of themselves, etc. etc. Doesn't matter whether that's actually true or not, this is still the assumption of most people.
  • tlc12078
    tlc12078 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Why cant we just except our differences? Why does everything have to be based on looks n weight. I know beautiful people, thick n thin. But I see the comments n nothing will change unless we start by accepting ourselves first, then we can accept others. Stop judging. Bashing is bashing regardless.
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    You can not like something and not be an a**hole about it.

Agreed 100%!!!!!

I agree with this too. The bashing either way is lame.
  • EpiGaiaRepens
    EpiGaiaRepens Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    personally, in a beauty contest or whatever, I'm always gonna vote for the big gal. Why? Because it takes way more confidence to go against the grain and put yourself out there as sexy and confident when you don't meet society's standards.

In addition, I think our cutlure is seriously "fat-phobic"...and you know I'm not against fitness and health. I'm totally for it. But I mean our culture is fat phobic like any body fat is bad. Yes. I've had an ED and yes those incessent images of perfect hardbodies is what pushed me there and to this day, even after all my hard work through MFP and weight lifting, etc, I'm NEVER going to look like the girls in the magazines because they aren't real. Its' just a fact.

So I'm all for us collectively giving up being such *kitten* about women having some body fat. I will never think it's ok to call a woman with 20-25% body fat a "FAT person" and ridicule her for being there. I honestly don't think 25% bf on a female is unhealthy. It's not UBER ATHLETE status (which is what I want for myself 17-18% BF) but it's not sickly. And to make it out like it's some horrible fracking thing to be 25% bf is exactly what leads to a cutlure of eating disorders and lack of self condience for our baby girls in this day and age.

So if your point is that we shoudl be prohealth- be pro health...not Mr. Negacore about a perfectly beautiful woman with a little bit more BF. That negativity just sucks. And it sucks to be negative about women who bust their butts to be uber athlete status too.

So while I may have appreciation for the work that goes into building muscle, I'm still signigifacntly more allured and respectful of the women who gives the finger to this society by putting her "larger" body on display and takes pride in it's beauty. It's a benefit to all women who are incessantly being told that we need to look like Angelina Jolie, or whoever the flavor of the month is, to be a valuable human being!
  • EpiGaiaRepens
    EpiGaiaRepens Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    IN addition, I will say this- the woman who is unhealthily overweight doesn't need your negacore crap either. She could be a mom, who busts her *kitten* working 80 hours a week to put five kids through college while her husband sits on his lazy bum doing nothing.

IMHO, this mama is THE MOST BEAUTIFUL WOMAN EVER.

And any man who disagrees can go suck it!
  • Ripken818836701
    Ripken818836701 Posts: 607 Member
    Options

In addition, I think our cutlure is seriously "fat-phobic"...and you know I'm not against fitness and health. I'm totally for it. But I mean our culture is fat phobic like any body fat is bad. Yes. I've had an ED and yes those incessent images of perfect hardbodies is what pushed me there and to this day, even after all my hard work through MFP and weight lifting, etc, I'm NEVER going to look like the girls in the magazines because they aren't real. Its' just a fact.
    I understand completely!!
    So I'm all for us collectively giving up being such *kitten* about women having some body fat. I will never think it's ok to call a woman with 20-25% body fat a "FAT person" and ridicule her for being there. I honestly don't think 25% bf on a female is unhealthy. It's not UBER ATHLETE status (which is what I want for myself 17-18% BF) but it's not sickly. And to make it out like it's some horrible fracking thing to be 25% bf is exactly what leads to a cutlure of eating disorders and lack of self condience for our baby girls in this day and age.
    I dont consider a women that is 20-25% BF. as fat!! I consider a women that is 20-30% BF. to be hot as (rymes with duck)
    So if your point is that we shoudl be prohealth- be pro health...not Mr. Negacore about a perfectly beautiful woman with a little bit more BF. That negativity just sucks. And it sucks to be negative about women who bust their butts to be uber athlete status too.
    Not my point at all! In my mind I am a fat person! I might have a skinny body now but I still consider myself fat. ( hard to put into words) So When I see negative comments made towards fat or skinny people, regarless of if their a man or a women I get offended. It just seems to me that everyone gets a free pass from society to say mean, rude and hurtfull things about thin women. For example in the make believe "" Do You Want To Be A Whale Or A Mermaid"" story I mentioned, the ficticious women stated that one of the reasons she would rather be a whale is because whales mate with one other whale for life and mermaids sleep with every sailor they come across. WTF! What does how many partners a person chooses have, have to do with how much they weigh??
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    There are I think way more obese people in the United States than fit people, so it is the norm being fit seems to be out of the norm...
    Actually, that's a gross exaggeration. Something like 30% of adults are obese, so they (actually 'we' until a couple days ago) are not a majority.

Percent of adults age 20 years and over who are obese: 33.9% (2007-2008)
    Percent of adults age 20 years and over who are overweight (and not obese): 34.4% (2007-2008)
    (http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/overwt.htm)

My math says 68.3% of Americans are overweight (as of 2008, and you know it gets worse every year). That would be the majority, so I think it is fair to say that "overweight" is more normal than "fit", and therefor may be the cause for the perceived "skinny bashing".

It doesn't make it right, mind you, but just a theory.
  • HowieTwoPointZero
    HowieTwoPointZero Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    I'd rather look like either of those than me

You're beautiful, so just stop it!

I was just going to say that.

Thirded.
  • KelseyPalmtree
    Options
    According to a lot of threads on this site alone my body is disgusting. I don't know why people say it and I don't care, they are ****ing stupid. I choose mermaid over whale any day.

Damn. Who says your body is disgusting?? You just look like you're really in shape. There's a difference between having abs (what I see in your picture) and seeing ribs (which I don't see in your pic). I think all kinds of people can be beautiful, whether they are mermaids or whales. People just need to quit with all the judgement (I know i'm dreaming, but thought I'd say it anyway lol).

Keep up whatever you're doing, you look great :)
  • modernmom70
    modernmom70 Posts: 373 Member
    Options

Percent of adults age 20 years and over who are overweight (and not obese): 34.4% (2007-2008)

My math says 68.3% of Americans are overweight (as of 2008, and you know it gets worse every year). That would be the majority, so I think it is fair to say that "overweight" is more normal than "fit", and therefor may be the cause for the perceived "skinny bashing".

Thank you! I was looking up all the stats...you got there first! But in my post I did say I was just basing it on my own experiences of American's while vacationing and may be a stereotype.
    edited to say: I should have also indicated overweight/obese as that is what I meant not just obese.
  • alise_lmx
    alise_lmx Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    this topic reminds me of some lyrics in that ani difranco song, "32 flavors." I always thought this part was really interesting, bc it was the first time I heard something like this in a song, or even in general, bc i had never really thought about it -

"and god help you if you are an ugly girl
    course too pretty is also your doom
    cause everyone harbors a secret hatred
    for the prettiest girl in the room"

so true!! lol
  • D446
    D446 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    To me the women on the right looks underweight. I can't see any muscle tone or anything, which to me makes it look a little worse. I would say she looks unhealthy, but in saying that, I wouldn't beat her down or say she looks like sh** because of that, to me, she is too thin. In saying that, I don't think that makes her unattractive or disgusting.

I think Marilyn has a great figure, and that photo is pretty unflattering, she was actually very tiny with an hour glass figure. She didn't necessarily look 'fit' though, due to lack of muscle tone. Either way, I do think most of the women that commented on that on facebook were probably jealous, because there is a difference in saying 'she looks a little too skinny for my liking' and 'ew that's disgusting she is so skinny, not a real women' etc, as these sorts like to do.
  • catshark209
    catshark209 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Just sit at a restaurant, YMCA, or public event and watch how women eyeball each other. I swear, women ogle each other more than men ogle them, and not necessarily in a 'attraction' way either. Once I noticed it happening, I would always catch women staring down my (ex)wife. Some of the glances were pretty nasty too.

I can't say I've seen the same behavior in men. :ohwell:
    Definitely. In my job, women come in, see me and immediately turn b itchy. I have to ask for sizing, I'm a uniform vendor! There's no winning with women, they immediately hate me and make stupid comments about my weight. This is who I am, I'm small and always have been. Not because I restrict, but because of genetics. Basically, God forbid I post anything about me trying to gain weight, or to be proud of how I look, cuz people get butt hurt, as we say in the ghetto.
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options

Thank you! I was looking up all the stats...you got there first! But in my post I did say I was just basing it on my own experiences of American's while vacationing and may be a stereotype.
    edited to say: I should have also indicated overweight/obese as that is what I meant not just obese.

No problem. I figured that's what you probably meant in your original post.

It's obviously something that happens in society (skinny bashing), and things don't just happen without a reason. Perhaps this is the reason.... or maybe I'm just crazy like the label on my pill bottle says! :tongue:
  • scepterian
    Options
    Nope... they're the most liked by me.
  • ihateroses
    ihateroses Posts: 893 Member
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGKPlUiDxGA this is all i have to say on the topic :laugh:
  • usedasbrandnew
    usedasbrandnew Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I am so curious about this picture, but it was removed! lol