Are Fit women the most hated group in America?

Options

Replies

• EvEboEvie
    EvEboEvie Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's so hard to be thin. Thin, white, cis, straight people are the most hated and discriminated against people ever.

I'm assuming that's irony?

:D

Lol just checking! :)

LOL Thank God...
  • SwannySez
    SwannySez Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I'd rather look like either of those than me

You're beautiful, so just stop it!

I was just going to say that.

They're right, but since they're probably both just hitting on you, please accept my unbiased opinion: way freakin' hawt, you are, girly.
  • journalistjen
    journalistjen Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, women are women's worse critics. You can post a picture of every body type on here, and there will be a woman with something negative to say.

I've never been skinny per say, but I've been fit and right now---fat. As a fat girl, it's easy to let a lot of anger build up inside of you over displays of thinness in the media and how people treat you. When I gained weight, I felt like I fell off the face of the earth. Men didn't even look at me at all anymore. It's like I was a scary beast walking down the sidewalk.

I try to find what's appealing in every body type. Women that are thin have just as many body issues as I do as a fat girl. As a fat girl, I want to conceal things that are less appealing like my upper arms and thighs. Most skinny women want to cover things too. Many of them want to wear things that give them more of a womanly shape.

Beauty really is in the eye of the beholder. There is nothing wrong with preferring one body type over another. You being attracted to one body type or another is not the same thing as judging. When you make comments about a body type, such as calling someone fat--that is judging. Fat is such a broad label and upsets a lot of women, as well as the word skinny. There are polite ways to describe to describe body types.

I won't lie--I want to be fit. I'm never going to be less than 180 pounds or smaller than a size 14, but I would be healthier and happier.
  • SweetSammie
    SweetSammie Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Really, people should be in charge of their own bodies. If someone is happy fat, that is THEIR business. If you get all over fat people for being fat, you had better get all over smokers, people who eat grilled meats, people who drink sodas, all alcoholics, people who exercise until they damage their joints, anyone who sits near smokers.... basically all people, because no one is health-perfect.

If you are happy working out for many hours a week, it pleases and fulfills you, power to you.

Public discourse on bodies is the problem. Fat/thin, muscular/not, vegetarian/pescetarian/omnivore.... make your own choices. The only people who should provide unsolicited discourse are medical professionals and perhaps very close/family/friends in a very careful and private way.

Different people are attracted to people for different reasons. Different people find different things attractive... and that, too, is ok.

Now, do I always follow this rule? No. Should I? Yes.

When you refer to any picture as a whale, or a fattie, or still needing to lose weight, you don't know who is identifying with that picture, what their history is and what their fitness goals are.

I like the more positive parts of this forum, recipes and friendliness is great, but I have enough of my own food/body image issues... I don't need yours, too!
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    Really, people should be in charge of their own bodies. If someone is happy fat, that is THEIR business. If you get all over fat people for being fat, you had better get all over smokers, people who eat grilled meats, people who drink sodas, all alcoholics, people who exercise until they damage their joints, anyone who sits near smokers.... basically all people, because no one is health-perfect.

If you are happy working out for many hours a week, it pleases and fulfills you, power to you.

Public discourse on bodies is the problem. Fat/thin, muscular/not, vegetarian/pescetarian/omnivore.... make your own choices. The only people who should provide unsolicited discourse are medical professionals and perhaps very close/family/friends in a very careful and private way.

Different people are attracted to people for different reasons. Different people find different things attractive... and that, too, is ok.

Now, do I always follow this rule? No. Should I? Yes.

When you refer to any picture as a whale, or a fattie, or still needing to lose weight, you don't know who is identifying with that picture, what their history is and what their fitness goals are.

I like the more positive parts of this forum, recipes and friendliness is great, but I have enough of my own food/body image issues... I don't need yours, too!

I think you missed the point.
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    While I believe there is a level of unhealthiness in a "fit" woman,

What exactly do you mean by a level of unhealthiness?

Reread the whole post. Unless you are a physician, neither of us can say what is nor is not unhealthy.
  • logicandlove
    logicandlove Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    About anorexic trends in women that is about insercurity plain and simple seeing a partiucular body type being praised doesn't make a person starve them selves to malnutrition. People that do that already have a mal view not only of their bodies but of the significance of health over asthetics. Thats about inner self worth not fasion mags.

Oh my god. I've been trying to just ignore this comment, but it's been bugging me since last night. Yes, eating disorders do have their roots in emotional and mental issues, but don't dismiss the images that we're constantly bombarded with so easily. I can't tell you how many times, while I was going through the worst months of my ED, I knew I needed to stop or needed to get help, but then I saw yet another image of some woman's body that I wish I could have but knew I didn't, and it pushed me even deeper into my illness.

So yes, praising "body types" that are the result of photoshopping and airbrushing, and are ultimately unattainable, is definitely a source of many problems today. I mean, H&M even had a line of bikinis on their website where the "models" were the heads of actual women photoshopped onto 100% CGI bodies. If that doesn't engender unrealistic body image issues, I don't know what does.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    A dozen or so years ago, when I had my first website (about the pitfalls of internet dating), I had my picture on the site. I was around 27 at the time, and about 125-130 pounds. About the size I am now. Since I came across as somewhat b!tchy on the site, I got a lot of hate mail. And it was hilarious at how many different ways people would find to insult me. Too fat to get a date, too skinny, ugly as sin, never developed a personality because I'm pretty, you name it. Same picture, but different people said completely different things about it.

But the vast majority of the mail I got was from people who thought I was cool and funny, so I didn't give a damn what the people who didn't like it or me said.
  • This_Daddy_Rocks
    Options
    bump--2 read later
  • SweetSammie
    SweetSammie Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I didn't miss the point. The forum itself took a turn from the topic at hand "fit bashing" to "fat bashing."

All bashing should stop.

Your body, your business.

However, when posting photos of people to be critiqued, perhaps it would be nice to remember that even if we don't know the person we are opening a public discourse on, they ARE a person.
  • alyson820
    alyson820 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's so hard to be thin. Thin, white, cis, straight people are the most hated and discriminated against people ever.

hahaha seriously, this.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    without reading all seven pages of responses...

Everyone has their own "preferences" and that's awesome!

My biggest problem with the threads and pics going around here and on Facebook and other social media sites is that it's rude to say so many of the things that are said...for example, "real women have curves." Real women are WOMEN, fat, thin, short, tall, WHATEVER. I think it's really rude and wrong to insult people because of their body shape/size. PERIOD. I don't care whether you are 100 pounds or 300 pounds...it's not nice...I try to focus on the positive, you can call me a pollyanna (some people do) but I would rather say nothing at all than say something mean about how someone looks. I was the skinny awkward kid all through school, I was made fun of for being tall and "curveless" and then when I got older and gained too much weight I was made fun of for being fat and out of shape...now I'm at a healthy weight for my height, frame, and age, and consider myself fit, and some people still harass me about my size and fitness activities...it gets old. Judge me on my character and actions, not on my size!
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options

^^^^THIS^^^^
  • crazytreelady
    crazytreelady Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Thin woman as well as large women on either end of the scale can have health problems. (edited to say problems)

Do I find over weight women attractive? No...
    Do I find size zeros attractive? No..

I like everything in between. Skinny, chubby, short, tall, gimme them all!

Now, this is purely my opinion, like posters before have said, every one has their own tastes.
  • FitLink
    Options
    About anorexic trends in women that is about insercurity plain and simple seeing a partiucular body type being praised doesn't make a person starve them selves to malnutrition. People that do that already have a mal view not only of their bodies but of the significance of health over asthetics. Thats about inner self worth not fasion mags.

Oh my god. I've been trying to just ignore this comment, but it's been bugging me since last night. Yes, eating disorders do have their roots in emotional and mental issues, but don't dismiss the images that we're constantly bombarded with so easily. I can't tell you how many times, while I was going through the worst months of my ED, I knew I needed to stop or needed to get help, but then I saw yet another image of some woman's body that I wish I could have but knew I didn't, and it pushed me even deeper into my illness.

So yes, praising "body types" that are the result of photoshopping and airbrushing, and are ultimately unattainable, is definitely a source of many problems today. I mean, H&M even had a line of bikinis on their website where the "models" were the heads of actual women photoshopped onto 100% CGI bodies. If that doesn't engender unrealistic body image issues, I don't know what does.

YES!

And the fact is, whenever you see a celeb looking perfect, it's photoshopped. They don't look perfect all the time. They don't even look perfect any time! Oftentimes clothing ads have already thin models photoshopped into impossible thinness--and I DO mean impossible. No matter how much weight a woman loses, her hips will Never be narrower than her head. Too many young girls believe that these photoshopped images are real beauty. Maybe the best ad campaign ever was Dove's real women campaign.
  • FitLink
    Options
    I'd rather look like either of those than me

And that is why these photoshopped ads are bad. You are just as beautiful as these women. (All women are beautiful.)
  • JadeRabbit08
    JadeRabbit08 Posts: 551 Member
    Options

I'm assuming that's irony?

:D

Lol just checking! :)

LOL Thank God...

Haha yeah that was my reaction too.
  • Ripken818836701
    Ripken818836701 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I can't believe this is a serious post, OP? I would say that terrorists are the most hated group in America - and worldwide too. Get some perspective for goodness sakes or are we having a mass celebration of the banal and ridiculous. Why would any person with a brain give any credence to such a stupid hypothesis?

<<< goes to do a Times crossword before she gets sucked into the orgy of ridiculousness.... :angry:
    Call a homicide bomber a terrorist in many circles ( not mine) and you will get ripped, but you can call a thin girl anything you want. Very few terrorists have been American citizens and a handfull of people wont be viewed as a group in America. Also After 9-11 Here in PA. were I live It was the only topic being discussed, you couldnt get away from it, But when I was at my house that sits on the Gulf Of Mexico it wasnt discussed as much. When Hurricane Charlie thru Katrina hit, Here in PA. they were rarely discussed (and when they were, it was to complain that their insurance premiums shouldnt go up and their tax dollars shouldnt be used to rebuild somone's house that is only gonna get destroyed again by the next hurricane) but when I was at my house on the Gulf, they were the only thing being discussed. Alot of people only care about things that directly affects them ( or think it doesnt affect them)
  • JennW130
    JennW130 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Its craziness! I work at old navy and I had a lady ask me if we carry over a size 20 in store. I told her no, we go from a size 0 to a size 20. She got pissed and said, "well real women have curves so thats too bad for your store." I'm sorry but if your over a size 20, that's not "curvy." And this is coming from someone who's not small herself. That saying also pisses me off because it sounds as if your implying that anybody who may be thin isn't a real woman.
  • modernmom70
    modernmom70 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I think it has to do with majority rules. There are I think way more obese people in the United States than fit people, so it is the norm being fit seems to be out of the norm....I may be using a stereotype cause I am not in the States, but that's what it seems like whenever I go there, the overweight people far out number the fit ones.
    I would rather be hated on for being fit than fat though! Go ahead hate on all the hard work I have put in to get this awesome bod and the hard work I have to continue doing to keep it.