How to avoid looking older after weight loss??

Options

Replies

• hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    Don't avoid the sun. Sun is essential. The crap in sunscreen is more likely to cause wrinkle and cancer than the sun. Just don't burn. A good 20 minutes in full mid-day sun is all you need. Then cover up with clothes, not sunscreen.

Water doesn't do a damn thing for skin. I don't care what they say. I saw a "study" a while back on a set of twins. One drank lots of water. One didn't. Looked at the skin close up and there was no change...at all. (and believe me the standard american diet ensures you are retaining a good 5-10lbs of water anyway)

Raw, unfiltered honey is a great facial cleanser. And coconut oil is an amazing moisturizer (and look, no chemicals!!)
  • wheezybreezy
    wheezybreezy Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    great tips in here!
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    bump
  • emily356
    emily356 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I am about to start dry brushing my skin, but was wondering about the face? Seems harsh and wouldn't know how to do my face... any suggestions!! I know it isn't my thread but I am loving all the suggestions!!
  • LadyBeryl
    LadyBeryl Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    2.5 lbs a week is really fast weight lose. I don't know if you slowed it down a little it may help. The only think that I know of is to lift heavier and build muscle to fill out the wrinkles. I guess we can't really do a lot with the ones on our face. Good Luck.
    [/quote
    True. That is the downside of losing weight quickly. Even though it is easy to lose patience and fall off of the wagon, slow weight loss is best.

You might need to treat yourself to a lift. You deserve it!
  • sewerchick93
    sewerchick93 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    I am about to start dry brushing my skin, but was wondering about the face? Seems harsh and wouldn't know how to do my face... any suggestions!! I know it isn't my thread but I am loving all the suggestions!!

I have two brushes I use, one for the body and one for the face. the face brush has very soft bristles and I use very little pressure. I brush my face in circular strokes always towards the center of the face. (right side of face I do counter-clockwise strokes and left side of face clockwise strokes).
  • kristinL16
    kristinL16 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Don't avoid the sun. Sun is essential. The crap in sunscreen is more likely to cause wrinkle and cancer than the sun. Just don't burn. A good 20 minutes in full mid-day sun is all you need. Then cover up with clothes, not sunscreen.

Water doesn't do a damn thing for skin. I don't care what they say. I saw a "study" a while back on a set of twins. One drank lots of water. One didn't. Looked at the skin close up and there was no change...at all. (and believe me the standard american diet ensures you are retaining a good 5-10lbs of water anyway)

Raw, unfiltered honey is a great facial cleanser. And coconut oil is an amazing moisturizer (and look, no chemicals!!)

I think the "study" you are referring to with the twins and water intake was on Dr. Oz awhile back. I don't know that it was a valid study but was interesting. The twins both reported that they were concerned with drinking enough water prior to the study. I remember wondering how the results would turn out if they used participants who were chronically dehydrated rather than someone who only had a decrease in water intake for such a short period of time.

As for sunscreen and the chemicals causing skin cancer...I have also read varying info about this. Since it HAS been proven that people often have more skin cancer and sun damage on their left side due to driving and it is not feasible to cover every part of your body all of the time, I will stick with sunscreens with minimal questionable chemicals than going without.

That being said, all of the above suggestions might make some difference but it is questionable how much improvement can be made once the damage is done. We can only do so much, but at least it feels good to know that the bases are covered and that we are doing what we can to prevent future skin damage.
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    I use AVON Anew products. They have them for each age group and I use the ones for 50+. I've used them for about 15 years and about 3 weeks ago a stranger was commenting that I had no wrinkles:wink: after she said that I told her I was 57 she was amazed. Personally I know I have a few but they just aren't that noticable.
  • hazymary
    hazymary Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    BUMP....Thanks for posting.....I too am in my mid 50's and approaching a 50 pound loss. I have no problem with my face and or wrinkles. But WOW my inner thighs look terrible kinda like crapepaper and I have a buddha belly and very heavy upper arms that sway in the wind......so please share your routine for stength training. I need some help with all that excess skin too !! Keep the ideas coming ....
  • Figment14300
    Options
    Bump
  • auranda
    auranda Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    BUMP. EXCELLENT INFO!
  • rainbow52
    rainbow52 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • par57
    par57 Posts: 74
    Options
    Everyone please continue to ask questions! Your advice is helping us all :)
  • Imawonder
    Imawonder Posts: 65
    Options
    My biggest fear with losing as much weight as I want/need to is that I will look my age...or even worse...I'll look OLDER. Hope you get some good info re your post!
  • christenwypy
    christenwypy Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I am so surprised to see this. All the before and after pics I see on here make the person look so much younger after weight loss. It did not occur to me that it might work the other way.
  • christenwypy
    christenwypy Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Oops double posted
  • angng
    angng Posts: 137 Member
    Options

You are obviously not a ginger. I'd have to wear a burqa if I wanted to cover up enough to not get burned.
  • long4theocean
    long4theocean Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I'm getting ready to try red light therapy. It is suppose to boost the collagen in your system and help with sun and age spots as well as tighten wrinkles. I'm 52 and also started getting microdermabrasion done every 2 weeks along with retin a. Hopefully when I get rid of this excess my face won't look older. I also use all of the Arbonne RE9 set, which I have for several years now.
  • Rayjewls
    Rayjewls Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I saw somewhere that antler velvet and msm soap and supplements work very well
    for repairing your skin.
  • Rayjewls
    Rayjewls Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    This may sound crazy but I met a woman that shaved her face every day like a man and she didn't have any...i mean any wrinkles. Have you looked at a mans face where he shaves...no wrinkles. I personally couldn't do it now...but give me 10 more years I may be thinking about it then...lol.