What does you gym cost??

Options

Replies

• SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Mine comes out to about 11 dollars a month. It's the park district fitness center, which basically has machines and a track. I think it's open 6 a.m. to 10 p.m. on weekdays.
  • RosieWest8
    RosieWest8 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I used to go to Snap Finess and I think it was around $35/month for 24 hour access, plus they had a couple trainers working there who basically spend one whole day with you and asked what your goals were and basically made you a workout routine (that you could follow or not follow) to meet your goals for free.
    I don't go there anymore though....

My cousin just walked into Urban Active this past weekend and they were running a deal (it was the last day of it when he walked in)....I think he paid $200 for a 2 year membership....so it ended up being like $8/month...but he had to pay that upfront. I thought that sounded like a pretty good deal.....wish I would have walked in that day.

Both of your choices sound great though too.
  • christyd4
    christyd4 Posts: 191
    Options
    I pay 30.00 a month for me and my son, it's 24/7
  • donnantx
    donnantx Posts: 76
    Options
    No big name gyms here, so I pay $45 for a 10 visit punch card (hubby and I travel for work so I cant sign a contract) $10 bucks a month sounds good to me
  • MadIrish
    MadIrish Posts: 49
    Options
    My husband and I pay $105 per month for the two of us for access to 3 gyms, one of which has several pools and a hot tub. We were going to Planet Fitness but we weren't motivated to go so we basically donated money to them for a long time before we made the switch. I love working out in the pool since my legs give me lots of issues. They offer tons of classes as well. The new gym is Latitude. They are not 24 hour but that was not that big a selling point for me as it is highly unlikely I will ever go to workout at odd hours in overnight. They close at 10 and open at 5am. The weekend hours are a little short but I just make them work.
  • Punkedpoetess
    Punkedpoetess Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I pay about $40 a month and go here since I have access to a location near work and a location around the corner from my house. Always near a gym to workout in and it has what I need.
  • lexidell46
    lexidell46 Posts: 143
    Options
    I use the rec center it cost me $50. a year.
  • EZGruv
    EZGruv Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    My company provides a full gym for free, with free trainers and free fitness assessments.
    Fit employees are more productive. :)
  • natalienovella88
    Options
    I go to 24 Hour Fitness, $30/mo, it is month-to-month/no contract, and it includes classes (zumba, boot camp, yoga, spinning, etc), pool, sauna, hot tubs, cardio machines (every kind you can think of), strength machines, free weights, cable machines, bball... I think that is it. And there are about 10 different locations in my city so I have full access to all of them.
  • Young28
    Young28 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    $150 down. $30 bucks a month.....includes all aerobic classes.
  • TheJustPull
    Options
    5 Dollars down, 24/7.. Small gym about the size of a pizza shop but it has treadmills, weights and ellipticals as well as an amt. Private bathrooms. It's anytime fitness and it's around 32 a month for a 12 month contract.
  • zombilishious
    zombilishious Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    I pay $70/mo but it covers my entire family of 5. That includes all classes, childcare room, plus kid sports - karate, gymnastics and rockclimbing. No pool, but there's a sauna in the women's locker room.
  • logicman69
    logicman69 Posts: 1,034 Member
    Options
    Planet Fitness: $10/Month 24 hour access.
  • Alonnea
    Alonnea Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I go to Golds Gym. No contract, 20 a month. Includes free daycare for up to 2 hours and all classes. There isn't a pool but plenty of other things so I don't worry about that. They also do a parents night out once a month where you pay 10 per child and they watch them for four hours and provide dinner. I really love my gym.
  • amandamickey
    Options
    Well I was paying about $100+/month for a gym membership, but fortunately for me, I got a new job late last year and got an awesome discounted rate at the same gym through work. Now paying only $25/month and I absolutely love my gym (Spectrum Athetlic Club....I think they are only in the LA area?).
  • aj_31
    aj_31 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Lifetime - $50.95 a month

I was a member of the YMCA and I was paying $63 a month. Then I joined Gold's Gym for $20 a month and it sucked because the gym was over crowded and the tanning became a 2 hr wait each time I wanted to use it. So I decided to go with a better quality gym and join Lifetime. Its more than I wanted to pay but I guess you get what you pay for - at least in my experience.
  • numindan
    numindan Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I have a city Recreation Centre membership that costs $39/month. It gives me access to all city Rec facilities for self-guided activities and to drop-in on instructor-led programs (e.g. spin classes, race walking classes, etc.). Most have pools, running/walking tracks, gyms (wooden court style), and weight rooms. Some have outdoor fields, rinks, courts or parks. As part of the membership we get access to city hired personal trainers [PTs must have minimum education levels and certifications to be hired. Rates vary based on number of sessions and are paid to city facility, not the trainer] and I can pay for scheduled programs with limited student enrolment (i.e. learn to swim programs) if it's a program I'd like to participate in. Hours of operation vary but most have a decent schedule.

The location I most often frequent has 4 "pools" (shallow children's, freeswim, lane swimming, human soup/hot tub), 3 lane indoor track, indoor fieldhouse (1/2 football field with astroturf), weight rooms, activity rooms (pilates, spin, etc.), childcare, showers, and a bazillion more things I'm sure I've forgotten about. Best part? It's within 15 minutes walking distance from my home and is less than a 3 minute walk from the train station. Hard to find a valid excuse NOT to go...

There are cheaper gyms in the city (some 24 hours) if you choose to go the private route but I find that the city Rec passes are more convenient. There's no contract. If you're lower income, the city offers a subsidized membership rate. You can meet up with friends in almost any area of the city and not have to worry about paying additional fees. It's possible to spend the day at some of them bouncing through a range of different activities.

ETA: WOW! That was a mouthful!
  • numindan
    numindan Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Mines free (perks of being a military wife) but if I want a personal trainer I have to pay.
    I could go free at the base fitness centre but since the base is a 30 minute drive away from where we bought our house, it's just not worth it for me.

ETA: Perhaps it's not free. There's a good chance hubs would pay a fee directly off his pay for us to go... we do pay fees for everything else (RV compound, housing, etc.) on the base...
  • momto1g1b
    momto1g1b Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    $23/month (3-year contract) for a women-only gym. Classes are included, but personal training and childcare are extra. It's a steal compared to other gyms around here.
  • imsleepdeprived
    imsleepdeprived Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Wow...goodlife here charges approx $50 / mos......i'm lucky to get the corporate rate for $34 - and personal training is extra (approx 60/hour if you purchase 30ish 1/hr sessions).