Ladies, when did you see strength training results?

Options

Replies

• southofpleasant
    southofpleasant Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Bump
    I'd like to know this too
  • thinclo
    thinclo Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    bump
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    make sure to only do dynamic stretching before a workout, only do static after as static before can reduce your performance.

What kind of stretching would that include?

Dynamic is a 'moving' stretch. Static is not. Imagine touch touches and high knees as a sort of dynamic stretch. Not always a stretch of the muscle, but sometimes just a way to get the muscles warm and let them know that work will be happening - be ready!

A static stretch at the end, is like when you sit with legs apart and reach over to one for 20 seconds, then to the other for 20 seconds.. they are slow, relaxing stretches.
  • sarah44254
    Options
    Can you do the NROLFW at home with hand weights?

I would love to know this too before I think about investing in the book! :flowerforyou:

You totally can. BUT I am finding I can lift much heavier than I expected (25lb dumbbells in EACH hand? never imagined that. 100+lb squats? Whoa.) so you will really be able to push yourself and change your body if you have access to heavier and heavier weights as you continue. Not sure how big of a selection of dumbbells you have at home, but if it is just a few - make friends with someone who has lots of them or see about renting / buying a gym pass (if you can).
  • HappilyLifts
    HappilyLifts Posts: 429 Member
    Options

I would love to know this too before I think about investing in the book! :flowerforyou:

You totally can. BUT I am finding I can lift much heavier than I expected (25lb dumbbells in EACH hand? never imagined that. 100+lb squats? Whoa.) so you will really be able to push yourself and change your body if you have access to heavier and heavier weights as you continue. Not sure how big of a selection of dumbbells you have at home, but if it is just a few - make friends with someone who has lots of them or see about renting / buying a gym pass (if you can).

thanks for answering our question. Amazing that ayou can lift those weights, go you! :smile:
    At the moment I only have 8lb dumbells. There is a (scary...it's made to look like a dark basement with low lighting and....ugh...wall to wall mirrors!) part of the gym that seems to be inhabited only by men :laugh: maybe one day I'll pluck up courage to join them...or ask when it it completely empty!
  • megmay2591
    megmay2591 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I'm weight training again tomorrow! This will be my second time working my chest, back and core. I'm gonna go heavy because last time I didn't push myself with some of the free weights. On Thursday, I'm going to try squats!
  • HappilyLifts
    HappilyLifts Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I'm weight training again tomorrow! This will be my second time working my chest, back and core. I'm gonna go heavy because last time I didn't push myself with some of the free weights. On Thursday, I'm going to try squats!
    Love squats. They are the one thing I am proud that I can actually do quite well (upper body strength is pretty rubbish!) Hope you enjoy yours too, go for it :smile:
  • sarah44254
    Options

Form first, adding weight second. You are going to rock the squats! :D I am doing deadlifts tonight. I do not like them as much as squats but I will see how well I can do. 2 sets of 12, maybe 115 lbs today? :D
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options

Not sure, think so - I have dumbells & bench at home - heavy stuff (powerblocks) up to 60lbs each) - and I use a real "girly" book - "Smart girls do dumbells" it has the basics of bench presses, squats, lunges, deadlifts etc, and a 30 day routine (one day upper body, one day lower). I use the dumbells, but still do deadlifts with 80lbs (started a month ago and could barely do 30lbs, so don't giggle if you can do 160!:happy:

You can do almost anything with the dumbells, exept that the bench presses and squats are a little harder to control with the seperate weights....
  • megmay2591
    megmay2591 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I have a coach to help me with the squats, so it should go pretty well!
  • MissAssister
    Options
    Following on my brother who's been doing it for 4 years - I started lifting 5 weeks ago and huge difference in 4 weeks (newbie losses/gains). Think the photo is my profile photo. Since then slower appearance gains though I have lost my boobs (hurrah), most of my *kitten* fat (hurrah) and my legs and arms have definition appearing. I've gained 1 inch on my biceps and 1/2 inch on thighs but lost 2.5 inches stomach, 2 inches chest and 2 inches hips.

The most important gains for me though - strength, confidence and just being in control of my body again. I feel amazing. I carry myself tall again. Gone are digestive problems that have haunted me most of my life! My fiance just keeps saying 'WOW' when he see's me and it's encouraged him to start earing healthier and walking (he is classic workaholic).

I train 5 days a week, an hour each time. No specific cardio - the supersets are enough to get my heart rate up and staying up! its a 5am start but I don't care because I'm happy. I consume 1 to 1.5g protein per lb of body weight, cut out dairy and limit carbs (but do not exclude - except bread etc which I cut out completely!) on non workout days. I eat 6 meals per day - essential fuelling. Steak, prawns, chicken, venison, nuts with lower carb veg and making sure I get some good fats! Avocado! Don't eliminate fat- you need it for body function!! Chuck out those low fat/diet foods!!! Drink plenty water and green tea!

I also hired a personal trainer (ex all -natural Scottish bodybuilding champ so he knows what he is on about!) - the same one as my brother - though I push myself very hard on my own, there is nothing like some added fear once a week to get me lifting REALLY heavy! He is also a biosignature practicioner (Poliquin) and I have my nutritional assessment on Friday! Tis was the single biggest thing contributing to shifting bodyfat according to my brother (19% at start to 6% shredded!) so I'm looking forward to that. I am currently 23% BF but thats from a machine. We find out accurately from calipers on Friday!

My workouts are recorded in my diary on here if anyone is interested but note a) weights are supposed to be in KG not lbs (how do you change that?) and b) I'm a newbie so some of the exercise names are more descriptive than actually accurate known moves :laugh:

I'm 42, engaged, 4 kids, 2 grandkids, full time job, post hysterectomy (Jan 13), 5ft 6 and 148.6 lbs.

Bodybuilding.com is an excellent source of information but like all internet sites, watch the forums - some great advice, some rubbish! :wink:
  • macaelaf
    macaelaf Posts: 3
    Options
    Really? Because your picture looks pretty bulky :\
  • LittleDoodlePoodle
    LittleDoodlePoodle Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    bump... I keep meaning to start lifting, might just snag your routine!
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options

I dont think you know what that word means.
  • eevincheezburger
    eevincheezburger Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I trained 4 days a week and saw results myself in about 2 weeks. Other people started seeing results in me in about 4 weeks.
  • Sakura_Tree
    Sakura_Tree Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    took about a month or 2 for me to start seeing results
  • justjenny
    justjenny Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options

Who's picture? Cause I haven't seen a single "bulky" looking picture on this thread..... And you do know that you are being rude. don't you? What would you do if people start calling your picture anorexic or pale or not nice?
  • brevislux
    brevislux Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Well, the first two weeks were hard. I would get back from the gym, shower and go to bed because I was too exhausted. I was always aching and felt awful.

But I think, a month into training, I started seeing some results. Did strength training and aerobics 3 times a week.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I train to improve cycling performance, and I saw a marked improvement after just a week of adding in strength training. It was measurable, having shaved several minutes off my previous best time over my favorite 20 mile training route.

That was after just 2 training sessions! Same bike, same route, same everything else but I was stronger and faster. That got me hooked right there!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!