MY HAIR IS FALLING OUT!!!

Options

Replies

• Eleisabelle
    Eleisabelle Posts: 365
    Options
    You may not be eating enough (sorry if someone has already noted this). Take yesterday for example:

You had 1,452 calories total, and over 420 calories burned just in exercise. That leaves you at a net calorie intake of barely over 1,000.

For MOST women, that's not even enough to power your body when you're lying on the couch, let alone exercising.

On top of that, your diary said your goal for yesterday would have been over 2,000 with the exercise burn added back in. That means MFP is recommending that you eat at least 1,600 calories for your non-exercise activity level. You didn't even make that.

Some of your days you seem to do well, but some days you're eating at least 300 calories below goal. It's great that you're rarely eating over but eating enough is important to make sure your body is getting the nutrients you need to feed your muscles.

And everyone's right about fat. Just remember that eating fat doesn't make you fat. Eating fat makes your skin, hair and nails grow well, helps you deal with stress, helps your joints last longer, and yes, helps your heart. You just don't want to eat saturated fats, and you definitely don't want to eat too much fat. Just make sure it's enough.
  • ka3343
    ka3343 Posts: 45
    Options
    Hello

I know exactly how you feel - I think it could be one/both of the following

1) Iron deficiency - you should get your doctor to give you a blood test as soon as possible. I had an iron deficiency last year, and left it too long to visit the doctor, my hair brush was filling up, my hair would surround me on the floor, I had to cut my hair off from past my bust to on my shoulders as it had all gone dead.
    If you do get given medication, try and ask for liquid for iron (called Spatone) you can buy it in Holland and Barrett, it is gentler on the stomach, otherwise - trust me - you will get lots of stomach pain an feel sick. I may just be an unlucky one, but I know many people with the same issue

2) Under active thyroid - I have a thyroid condition and if you feel sleepy, stopped showing an interest in things, possibly constipated, sluggish, headaches, heavy periods etc - you may have a thyroid condition - this will also show in a blood test.

So my advice - go see a doctor.
  • Eleisabelle
    Eleisabelle Posts: 365
    Options

The weeks that I eat higher, I dont have a loss. So I go back to eating less. Y'all are making me think I need to go eat a spoonful of peanut butter. LOL

But if you're not eating enough to fuel your body, of course it's going to grab onto every calorie when you do eat more. If it thinks you're starving, which is possible given some of your net calorie amounts, it'll eat muscle and put on more fat.

When you up your calories, yes, you'll see some gain, maybe even for the next few weeks. But if your body's not getting enough, you're most certainly not getting enough nutrients, even if you are eating a balanced diet.
  • skinEme1018
    Options
    If you can, have your doctor check your thyroid levels. Losing hair is one of the early signs of low thyroid function. Also, it's a sign of malnutrition, so make sure you eat enough, especially protein, since that's what hair is mostly made of.

Definately. I have a friend that had the same issue and once she got on meds for her thyroid it started coming back.
  • kuunsilta
    kuunsilta Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I know that mu Aunt and several other people I know almost go bald when they're stressed out. They lose handfuls in the shower just from being over stressed. Just a suggestion =)
  • Warmbloodwear
    Warmbloodwear Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    A higher fat diet helps as well. Look for stuff like extra virgin olive oil, nuts, and avocado

this is what happened to me when I went on a low fat diet my hair started falling out! And I have really thick hair:)
  • maxmariesfo
    maxmariesfo Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Everyone here is telling you to eat more protein - but in truth too much protein is one of the major reasons for hair loss in women. All the women I know who've done that Atkins thing started thinning. Particularly right in the front.

A lot of hair loss sites recommend brewer's yeast - as the B vitamins are good for hair. But Brewer's Yeast is a by-product and can cause a tummy ache. Nutritional Yeast is specifically grown for it's nutrient content. You can add a little flour, oil and water and make a sort of cheese sauce out of it. Good stuff.

The advice to visit your doctor is probably the best.
  • SarinaThomas76
    Options
    There was a big episode on dateline about supplements having toomuch of this or that - might stop your supplements for a week or 2 and see if you notice a difference. Also - my hair stylist has said that taking Biotin hels reudce the hair you lose from stress. (sorry if this was already stated - I didn't read the ENTIRE thread)
  • Kayraysmommy2209
    Options
    I agree with everyone and yes it is most likely a thyroid problem, probably hypothyroism. I was having the same problems along with extreme fatigue and excessive weight gain. I am being tested now for it and the doctor also found a nodule so I am being sent to an endocrinologist (app next month), but I started taking skin, nail and hair multivitmins (you can find them at walmart)which seem to be helping especially with my nails, but my doctor is still concerned. It could also be an iodine deficiency, their checking me for that too. But like others said it could be anything (stress, low fat, low protein) but you may need a doctor to help pinpoint what it is. Hope you find out what it is.
  • Rainforst
    Rainforst Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I would have my thyroid checked out. I had hypo-Thyroid and my hair fell out. Good new it grows back
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    took a quick glance at your diary and you are leaving a lot of calories on the table. being at a deficit for a long time can definitely cause hair loss.
  • brittanidigby
    brittanidigby Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I've been having this same problem for the last couple of years. Never had thick hair but it's so thin now. I've tried different shampoos and stuff to try and fix it but nothing has helped. :(((
  • crazyellybean
    crazyellybean Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Have you had your thyroid tested?Thyroid problems can lead to loss of hair! Also try switching your shampoo to a better brand (I like Nexus) it has helped me a lot with hair issues. See your doctor though, loss of hair could be something serious.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Biotin, protein, Nioxin shampoo, EFA 3-6-9 all helpful.

Have your doctor rule out thyroid, hormonal or medical conditions. Good luck!
  • Jnt1979
    Jnt1979 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Eating to few calories and fat can cause hair loss!
  • emmiee921
    emmiee921 Posts: 224
    Options
    I highlY doubt its your diet as you eat enough by the looks of it.
    It could be stress and anxiety if you have that at all?

Its most likely a hormonal imbalance, all you can do is see a doctor asap
  • emmiee921
    emmiee921 Posts: 224
    Options
    took a quick glance at your diary and you are leaving a lot of calories on the table. being at a deficit for a long time can definitely cause hair loss.

Its not a case of this at all. She is eating surely eating enough calories and she certainly doesnt have to eat all her exercise calories let alone any
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Okay, I'm assuming that you are using MFP as it was designed and have let it create a deficit for you already for weight loss, so the additional deficit you are eating at is in addition to 500 or 1000 Calories already in deficit. If that is the case you are WAY under on your Calories and that is probably the problem. If you have your goal set at maintenance, which is how I set mine up, I did the math and you are still eating less then 80% of TDEE. So, again, my professional opinion as an exercise physiologist, certified personal trainer, and certified sports nutritionist is that you are not eating enough to provide the necessary nutrients for the body to support hair and nail growth and probably other bodily functions. The first thing I would recommend is to figure your TDEE and then to eat a Minimum of 80% of that. If you don't see an improvement from that, then look at the specific breakdown of nutrients, food groups, etc. And if you can't get a handle on it nutritionally, then see a doctor. Most of the time, though, weight loss, especially rapid weight loss and weight loss from inadequate nutritional intake, is the cause of sudden hair loss. It can also cause skin changes and acne issues. I use to work with an lady who worked in a spa doing facials and such and I would send any of my personal training clients or gym members that I suspected of not eating adequately and she would be able to tell us exactly what nutrients they were missing based on doing their facial. I was never that good at figuring out which things were specifically missing, but I was never trained in doing facials and such either. But with her help, we were able to get the client back on track with their nutrition and the problems with skin, nails, and hair would be fixed. I wish I still lived near her so I could recommend her spa to my clients.
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    I hate to be the bearer of (potentially) bad news, but when I was your age the same thing happened. My hair got thinner and thinner from being so thick, my hairdresser didn't know what to do with all of it. Back then "up in curls" was popular. Anyway, after the initial hair loss period of about a year, I had very thin hair left, which continued to gradually thin until now. I'm 64 and have EXTREMELY thin hair on top. So thin I have to wear a wig or had when I go out. I have seen other women with thin hair, but I can't bring myself to go out that way. These days with the stresses of women's jobs and the closer our lifestyles get with those of men, well, we also get male-pattern baldness. Sadly, it's true.

Hopefully, you find a cause which can be addressed, and I sincerely hope you can get it stopped. Good luck!
  • ksteele66
    Options
    If you or your stylist notice smooth round patches on your scalp or other parts of your body it is likely Alopecia Areata. Your doctor and/or a dermatologist can diagnose this condition and suggest a treatment plan. If this is what you have, the good news is it is not life-threatening; bad news is it is very unpredictable. Be sure to go see your doctor so that you can know what you are dealing with. Good luck in your journey and don't let this set you back.