Tanning??

Options

Replies

• grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    As a licensed esthetician, I am strongly opposed to tanning beds! Even if you take the skin cancer factor away, tanning will really age your skin and can cause hyperpigmentation (dark spots/freckles). You can't reverse the effect of damaging your collagen and elastin, once it's gone it's gone - and tanning even a little contributes to the damage. Products can temporarily help, but nothing is permanent.

I love being tan as much as the next girl, but if you're gonna tan, spray tan is the way to go. Please don't use the beds! Love your skin and treat it well!

This!!
    I work in a hair and beauty salon and we are heavily opposed to tanning beds. We offer spray tans but as much as the client's ask for tanning beds we will not be getting them!
  • LifeOnMars_
    LifeOnMars_ Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I tan, but not religiously. It's the only thing that keeps my psoriasis at bay!

Same here!
  • Hernandeak11
    Hernandeak11 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend is as pale as can be, and I wouldn't have him any other way! (Poor baby burns in about 10 minutes though :ohwell:

I'm sincerely trying to avoid tanning this summer, even though i went in moderation. I'm part Hispanic, so a few hours of sunshine gives me a great base, and I started using the Jergens Tanning Lotion and it surprisingly works!
  • BlueInkDot
    BlueInkDot Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why people tan. Your skin is your skin. Why does it have to be a different color for you to be pretty? *baffled*
  • whtlatina1214
    whtlatina1214 Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    ahaha im with sergeant i do it so i dont get sun burned also when ever it is hard to find time for the beach, i dont do it a lot and i dont put all that crap on me . i use a lotion and i put sunblock on my face/// my man dont really care he is mixed... blak and white
  • karinefitness
    karinefitness Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Yes, I tan maybe once every 2-3 weeks, sometimes once a month, but usually in the winter I go without a tan.
    I know it's bad and blablabla... It really is my only vice! Don't smoke, don't drink, eat clean 85% of the time... I know it'll age my skin faster and etc., but what can I say... I'm semi-addicted I guess! I also go a few times before I go on vacation otherwise I end up burning :-(

I'm recovering, though! Used to go 1-2 times a week... :-/

I tried some sunless tanning lotions but I always make a mess...
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    I tan and I'm proud of it, haters gonna hate.

I guess if you think someone being concerned you are setting yourself up for skin cancer, I'm-a hatin'. Be careful, skin cancer is very serious because it spreads to organs before you even know it.:flowerforyou:
  • Jennicia
    Jennicia Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I'm tanning in a tanning bed to get ready for my carribbean vacation! Otherwise, I just get tan from the sun. I have skin that tans easily. I always wear sunscreen and use a indoor tanning lotion as well. I do like the way my skin looks with a little bit of color and I feel like it helps my psoraisis/eczema as well. To each is own tho. Can't hate on those that choose to do it! It's also helped me with my joint pain. the warmth of the bed feels soooooo good! :smile:
  • Laura8603
    Laura8603 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I tan in the sun, not tanning beds. And my boyfriend is black so he is naturally "tan" : )
  • Daisy374
    Daisy374 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    I like my young looking skin and people thinking I am 10 years younger than I am and want to keep it that way as long as I can lol The only tan I get is from the sun, and even then I usually have some kind of sunblock on.
    I am not a hater; I have friends who tan. I also know a lot of people who smoke... no big difference really, what people choose to do with their bodies is their decision... We just all have to deal with the consequences of our actions.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I love my ivory-ish skin. Other people seem to have a huge problem with the fact that I have no "color" and I get rather rude comments about how I must never go outside. I'm French-Canadian and English, for ****'s sake.

Ugh! My best friend describes people as "pasty white" all the time. It's obnoxious.

Meanwhile, she's been tanning since she was 14. She's younger than I am but looks much older, had to start wearing wrinkle cream in her mid-20s and caked on makeup to hide the damage she's done.

On top of all that, she had to move up her wedding by months because of a suspicious mole and she didn't have insurance.

No thanks. I'll take my smooth, pasty-white skin.
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Il_DaniD_lI Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    I never used to but just started now that I have been working out. I'm part native so tan fairly easy, I only go once a week and will only do this for a couple months. I feel more confident with a tan.

Yeah, everybody knows it's not good for you. Spare the lecture, people will do what they do regardless if a licensed esthetician is opposed to it or not.
  • rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Aside from the vanity, I tan occaionally for the serotonin. Depression is the pits and the UV rays actually help. Especially in the winter when the sun is lacking.
  • Keladry
    Keladry Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    No because I don't care for giving myself cancer. I do my own fake tan if my legs are looking particularly bad. I don't mind looking pale but I do mind looking purply/blotchy.
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    Spray-tans only for me. Very pale Scottish skin = lobster pink, very fast. Sunblock on first thing in the morning and reapplied on all exposed skin before I go outside in the summer, in my moisturiser and foundation in the winter. That said I did turn a very faint shade of Rich Tea Biscuit after two months in Italy...
  • iamMaLisa
    iamMaLisa Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I would love to be able to tan...... but my skin only burns and i turn white after it peels off.... gross.... and my hair just getts redder when i am out there and i get way more freckles so i tend to stay away and out of the sun, except when i have almost a whole bottle of sun block on...:laugh:
  • Cara85K
    Cara85K Posts: 122
    Options
    I was diagnosed with Melanoma at 25. It is one of the fastest growing cancer for women between 25-29. I never really got burnt growing up but it does make your chances of getting melanoma or basal cell greater. I come from a long line of fair skinned people, have reddish hair and freckles. They said this also made my chances of getting melanoma higher. Just be careful.
  • Hernandeak11
    Hernandeak11 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Aside from the vanity, I tan occaionally for the serotonin. Depression is the pits and the UV rays actually help. Especially in the winter when the sun is lacking.

I know how this goes, and it's no fun! This winter I sat in front of a work light for about 10 minutes a day, and it definitely helped! Taking Vitamin D too!
  • luv_lea
    luv_lea Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I start tanning a few months before summer, and right after summer (to hold tan through Halloween.) From May to August I'm usually next to a river or lake every single weekend so I get a pretty good tan that way.

The last couple of years I have been more conscious of putting spf on my face/neck and also covering my face with a towel in the tanning bed. I know non of it is really good for your skin, but I at least have been trying to protect my face/neck. Plus, I have slight eczema on my legs and arms, and tanning (sun or tanning bed) seem to REALLY help it go away.
  • Acliff510
    Acliff510 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    As a licensed esthetician, I am strongly opposed to tanning beds! Even if you take the skin cancer factor away, tanning will really age your skin and can cause hyperpigmentation (dark spots/freckles). You can't reverse the effect of damaging your collagen and elastin, once it's gone it's gone - and tanning even a little contributes to the damage. Products can temporarily help, but nothing is permanent.

I love being tan as much as the next girl, but if you're gonna tan, spray tan is the way to go. Please don't use the beds! Love your skin and treat it well!

All I heard was that sound when adults talked in Peanuts... lol

Y.O.L.O - You only live once. Enjoy it.

I hear you!! I tan b/c it gives me some confidence. When you are overweight you need some sort of boost to make you feel good as you go down you weight loss journey! Plus I love the quote 'Tan fat looks better than white fat!"

FACT:
    Mood was measured before and after each tanning exposure. The results revealed greater relaxation and lower tension after UV exposure compared to non-UV exposure. The researchers theorize that UV exposure leads to the release of chemicals in the brain called endorphins that are linked to both pain relief and euphoric feelings.