Why Strength Training is better

Options
psuLemon
psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
This is for all the cardio lovers out there that feel it's the best way to lose weight.

And this is NOT a cardio vs strength training workout. This is merely looking at the effects of FAT LOSS and the two types of exercise.

"Weight loss does NOT equal fat loss. You may be burning calories or losing weight, but that weight and those calories may or may not be coming from fat. If you follow the standard low-calorie-aerobic-exercise-model, you are likely burning muscle not fat. And a loss of muscle means a less efficient metabolism. This is the missing link when personal trainers and fitness enthusiasts embark on helping others and themselves create new bodies.

When personal trainers or exercise enthusiasts focus on weight loss, they are doing a grave disservice to their clients and/or themselves. It has been known for quite sometime that the low calorie aerobic exercise model creates a much less efficient metabolism in the long run. A study published in the Journal of the American College of Nutrition in April 1999 showed just how damaging the weight loss model can be on metabolic efficiency. This study looked at a group of obese individuals who were put on a very low calorie diet and assigned to one of two exercise regimes. One group did aerobic exercise (walking, biking, or jogging four times per week) while the second group did resistance training three times per week and no aerobic exercise.

At the end of the twelve-week study, both groups lost weight but the difference in muscle vs. fat loss was striking. The aerobic group lost 37 pounds over the course of the study. The resistance-training group lost 32 pounds. A focus on weight loss would lead us to the conclusion that aerobic exercise is best. However, when looking at the type of weight lost it was shown that the aerobic group lost almost 10 pounds of muscle on average while the resistance training group lost fat exclusively and maintained their muscle mass. Most important, when the resting metabolic rate of the participants was calculated, the aerobic group was shown to be burning 210 fewer calories at rest per day!! In contrast, the resistance-training group actually increased their metabolism by 63 calories per day.

http://www.metaboliceffect.com/topic/38-nutrition-lifestyle.aspx"

Replies

• psuLemon
    Options
    I would like to state, this is why I continuously see people plateauing. The link provides all the sources as well.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    Conditioner is better, it leaves the hair silky and smooth!
  • xx_donna_xx
    xx_donna_xx Posts: 144
    Options
    I need to start lifting at home.... just to work on adapting things that I can make be my weights
  • Lacole216
    Lacole216 Posts: 97
    Options
    Thanks for the resource article
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Conditioner is better, it leaves the hair silky and smooth!

Shampoo is better, it leaves you nice and clean.

Love the quote.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Bump,

Great post.
  • Eaglesfanintn
    Eaglesfanintn Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Why does it seem that these posts are always an either/or situation? Here's an idea - do both. Both strength training and cardio have things going for them. So, don't just lift weights and don't just run.
    I do days of lifting, days of running and days where I do running mixed in with other things like pushups, situps, lunges and crunches.
  • kimstwin
    kimstwin Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the post. I know in the beginning months, I was very focused on cardio, elliptical trainer, etc..for the last couple months I have cut cardio way back and increased my strength training to a heavier lifting routine 2-3 days a week. While the strength workouts don't burn as many calories as my cardio ones, so far it certainly hasn't stopped or stalled my loss.
  • nnapieralski
    nnapieralski Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Why does it seem that these posts are always an either/or situation? Here's an idea - do both. Both strength training and cardio have things going for them. So, don't just lift weights and don't just run.
    I do days of lifting, days of running and days where I do running mixed in with other things like pushups, situps, lunges and crunches.

Exactly. I'm a firm believer that you have to do cardio and strength training to get the best results. But honestly, I don't care what other people do. They're not losing my weight......I'm the only one that can do that.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

OP never said don't do cardio, just pointed out that one is better for fat loss then the other
  • viclee1
    viclee1 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    thanks! I needed that reassurance that I was doing the right thing! :)
  • ❤lindsay❤dawn❤
    Options
    Great read...

: ))
  • jonnyaloha2011
    jonnyaloha2011 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Why does it seem that these posts are always an either/or situation? Here's an idea - do both.

Love the article, but agree with this. Both have their place. I have seen muscle-bound guys who couldn't run half a mile if someone paid them half a Mil. Gotta have both.
  • psuLemon
    Options

OP never said don't do cardio, just pointed out that one is better for fat loss then the other

Exactly, and you are better off doing HIIT instead of traditional cardio for fat loss.

I wanted to stress this for the fact so many people are cardio *kitten* and don't understand why they aren't making progress.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Why does it seem that these posts are always an either/or situation? Here's an idea - do both.

Love the article, but agree with this. Both have their place. I have seen muscle-bound guys who couldn't run half a mile if someone paid them half a Mil. Gotta have both.

Again, for fat loss, I am just stating that ST provides better benefits to cardio.
  • AnarchoGen
    AnarchoGen Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I didn't start seeing results until I began strength training. If you're not sure where to start, there are tons of free workout plans on bodybuilding.com. I've heard good things about 5x5 Strong Lifts, New Rules of Lifting for Women, and many others.
    I also add circuit training in my workout, super sets, triple sets, super set + active rest combos, lots of compound movements with a few isolation movements, do HIIT 3x per week and steady state cardio 2x per week, I strength train 6x per week. I love the results I'm getting :) Once I'm at a better body fat % I'm gonna ease up on the cardio.
  • alphagirl82
    Options

I completely agree with this. It's very reasonable to get 4 days of cardio plus 3 days of weight training in. It doesn't mean that you have to spend 7 days a week at the gym either: it's ok to do both in one day (and my bet is that most of my MFP pals can do it). Before I was lucky enough to live right next to my gym (making it easy to pop over multiple times per day), I'd do what I called the "Gym Rat Trifecta": one hour cycling class, one hour weight lifting class, one hour yoga, all in a row. Shavasana has never felt so good!

While we're on the yoga subject, why don't more posts include it as part of a healthy, well rounded weight loss (or maintenance) program?
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Another I'm right, your wrong post. If you look long enough, you can find a study on anything/everything that justify's anything/everything.
  • kirstyg1980
    kirstyg1980 Posts: 302
    Options

this sounds good to me!!!!! Although not a fan of running would rather do spin class lol
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    Bump for hte link !