Why Strength Training is better

Options

Replies

• JennyZD
    JennyZD Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I am VERY pro strength training but I exercise because a) I love it and b) I want to be HEALTHY and FIT. So I'm a big advocate of doing a combination of both. I tend to do HIIT and weights. It's awesome my resting heart rate is in the 50s and I am still increasing my lean muscle mass.
  • AeolianHarp
    AeolianHarp Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Exactly, and you are better off doing HIIT instead of traditional cardio for fat loss.

Kind of, sort of. It makes no difference in the grand scheme of things, I assure you of this.

Read Lyle McDonald's series called "Steady State vs. Interval Training." It's a long series, one that took him a very long to write. Let's just say, HIIT is largely overrated and it's publicity it has received is silly.

The funniest part is when people use Sprinters to defend HIIT, which simply points to their ignorance. No Sprinter does HIIT. Sprint work is vastly different and I have done it. It's done in terms of metres and it can have long rest breaks depending on the length.
  • CouleeRunner
    CouleeRunner Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the article...I will read later (on my phone now).

Can I ask a silly question? Is "Strength Training" purely lifting weights or does my kettlebell workouts and resistance band work outs count as well? I use a kettlebell weight that I find quite heavy.

Thanks!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Ok, but it is clearly evident that cardio is good for overall health?

Yea, you might see someone on the treadmill at the gym for too long everyday. Have you ever wondered that maybe heart disease runs in their family or any other cardiovascular disease and by running or jogging or cycling or swimming these people are helping break the cycle?

I really doubt anyone can say that cardio 3x a week is BAD for you. Especially in combination with a resistance training program.

I am not saying that cardio is bad for you, but you can also get the same affects of cardio through an anaerobic workout. Also, someone that reduces body fat and increases lean muscle mass will provide all the same affects as lots of cardio. Muscle is one of the largest controllers in your body for overall health. Reducing body fat (whether it's from cardio or ST) will reduce your cholesterol, improve immune systems, fight disease. The affects of obesity is what increases chances of heart disease.

This is merely a look at fat loss! It's that simple.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Exactly, and you are better off doing HIIT instead of traditional cardio for fat loss.

Kind of, sort of. It makes no difference in the grand scheme of things, I assure you of this.

Read Lyle McDonald's series called "Steady State vs. Interval Training." It's a long series, one that took him a very long to write. Let's just say, HIIT is largely overrated and it's publicity it has received is silly.

The funniest part is when people use Sprinters to defend HIIT, which simply points to their ignorance. No Sprinter does HIIT. Sprint work is vastly different and I have done it. It's done in terms of metres and it can have long rest breaks depending on the length.

I will have to read up on that. Thanks for the input.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Thanks for the article...I will read later (on my phone now).

Can I ask a silly question? Is "Strength Training" purely lifting weights or does my kettlebell workouts and resistance band work outs count as well? I use a kettlebell weight that I find quite heavy.

Thanks!

Anything that builds muscle or strength is considered strength training. Kettle bells are weighted so it's ST. Push ups and Pull ups are ST as it uses gravity and your body weight. All of which you can gain strength and muscle mass.
  • Bridget0927
    Bridget0927 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Conditioner is better, it leaves the hair silky and smooth!

Stop looking at me Swan
  • psuLemon
    Options
    blah, blah, blah...

I get tired of seeing posts saying one is better than the other. Balance. Strength training is good, but everyone needs to be in good cardio shape for stamina and heart-health. Like I have posted before. I knew a body builder who couldn't run around the block, but won several local body building exhibitions.

This thread is like the one about which is heavier a pound of muscle or a pound of fat... there's a hundred of each...

You obviously lack reading comprehension or a desire to educate yourself. Either way, I was showing the correlation between fat loss and ST vs cardio.

I am not talking about weight loss or stamina or overall health. I was simply pointing out that if your desire is fat loss, then ST is a more viable option.
  • Bridget0927
    Options
    psulemon, I do both? would you say one should discontinue the cardio portion? or doing both is fine as long as your doing the strength training?
  • scubahsteve69
    scubahsteve69 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    bump
  • psuLemon
    Options
    psulemon, I do both? would you say one should discontinue the cardio portion? or doing both is fine as long as your doing the strength training?

Both are good and serve their purpose. The only thing I would recommend is when you do ST, then make sure it's heavy enough where you fail between 8-12 reps. If you do notice you are having trouble with this hard spots, may replace a cardio day with a yoga or flexibility day or just reduce the amount of cardio.

If you like getting your heart rate up, you can always incorporate anaerobic workouts instead of pure cardio.
  • AeolianHarp
    AeolianHarp Posts: 463 Member
    Options

I will have to read up on that. Thanks for the input.

I forgot to mention that your original post was great! More people should strength training. Powerlifting has become my life and it's something I thoroughly enjoy. More people should give lifting in general a chance.
  • Carim007
    Carim007 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing this article ...

I am now a newly converted from cardio only to a balanced combination with strength training ...!!!
  • Bridget0927
    Options

Both are good and serve their purpose. The only thing I would recommend is when you do ST, then make sure it's heavy enough where you fail between 8-12 reps. If you do notice you are having trouble with this hard spots, may replace a cardio day with a yoga or flexibility day or just reduce the amount of cardio.

If you like getting your heart rate up, you can always incorporate anaerobic workouts instead of pure cardio.

Thanks! :-)
  • FORIANN
    FORIANN Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Both.

I don't understand why this is complicated at all.

That said there are more longevity benefits to cardio....to each their own.
  • Qatsi
    Qatsi Posts: 2,191 Member
    Options
    Bump for reading later
  • psuLemon
    Options
    BTW, here is the results of someone I converted from a cardio only person to a person that has a combination of ST and cardio. Additionally, she went from 1200-1400 calories to 2100 calories on exercise days and 1800 on rest days. Additionally, she is 36 years old and macro's at 40% carbs, 40% protein and 20% fats.

"I just wanted to thank you for your help. You helped me a few months back and I just wanted to give you an update on my progress. 12 weeks ago I started at 154 and 28% bf. I got my bf remeasured last Friday and it was 24%. But I only lost 1 pound. It is crazy to me but I have learned to ignore the scale. You were right that keeping consistent and not giving up my body would finally adjust.

Thanks again for your help!

Stephanie"
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Both.

I don't understand why this is complicated at all.

That said there are more longevity benefits to cardio....to each their own.

Read! This is for FAT LOSS only.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    Why does it seem that these posts are always an either/or situation?

Same reason every post has someone complaining or b*tching about something. Same reason every post has some know it all that doesn't really know it all. Same reason every post has someone that is full of themselves. Ahhh...What a stress free world. lol
  • Spamee
    Spamee Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I use Shampoo & Conditioner. I really need both