Why Strength Training is better

Options

Replies

• m16shane
    m16shane Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Change title to "Collection of people arguing about who is right" Just messing! ;)

Good reads!
  • FORIANN
    FORIANN Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Strictly speaking then you may be right. I don't really claim to understand it though. I can burn far more calories doing an hour of cardio than I can doing an hour of ST. Wouldn't that greater calorie expenditure equate to more weight loss?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I just wish people knew how to read before they jump on the Cardio and ST is important. If they read the article, the would know I am referring to fat loss and not health in general.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    So admittedly I should have titled this different. "ST is better for FAT LOSS" is what I should have wrote.

"Lean mass retention during a fat loss phase" would have been even better.

This dude gets it.

The point and function of strength training is very little to do with actual fat loss outside of the energy expenditure involved / EPOC effect.

ETA: oh and calorie partitioning so I guess I can see where the OP is coming from and he makes a good point.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Strictly speaking then you may be right. I don't really claim to understand it though. I can burn far more calories doing an hour of cardio than I can doing an hour of ST. Wouldn't that greater calorie expenditure equate to more weight loss?

I would suggest reading the article again. This is in reference to fat loss, not weight. But here is an piece of it.

"At the end of the twelve-week study, both groups lost weight but the difference in muscle vs. fat loss was striking. The aerobic group lost 37 pounds over the course of the study. The resistance-training group lost 32 pounds. A focus on weight loss would lead us to the conclusion that aerobic exercise is best. However, when looking at the type of weight lost it was shown that the aerobic group lost almost 10 pounds of muscle on average while the resistance training group lost fat exclusively and maintained their muscle mass. Most important, when the resting metabolic rate of the participants was calculated, the aerobic group was shown to be burning 210 fewer calories at rest per day!! In contrast, the resistance-training group actually increased their metabolism by 63 calories per day."

Also, bear in mind, excessive cardio or large caloric deficit can lead to muscle loss which will slow your metabolic rate over time. This is why if you stop running you can gain a lot of weight back. Also keep in mind, after strength training, your body is still burning calories and working to repair your muscles, all of which take energy and burn calories.
  • tuffytuffy1
    tuffytuffy1 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Great article psulemon, I totally agree and have found it to be true in my case. I strength train/heavy lift with a trainer 3 times a week for 30 minutes per session, and do maybe 1 to 2 short 30 minute walking sessions on non-strength training days. I am maintaining and gaining muscle while losing fat, and I love it!
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the article...I will read later (on my phone now).

Can I ask a silly question? Is "Strength Training" purely lifting weights or does my kettlebell workouts and resistance band work outs count as well? I use a kettlebell weight that I find quite heavy.

Thanks!

Anything that builds muscle or strength is considered strength training. Kettle bells are weighted so it's ST. Push ups and Pull ups are ST as it uses gravity and your body weight. All of which you can gain strength and muscle mass.

I firmly believe in both Cardio and Strength training which I believe supports all around health as well as fat loss... You say weighted activities such as kettle bell,etc... So what would arc training, or elliptical training using your whole body and doing interval training with high levels of resistance and crossramp be considered?? Just cardio? or can we put that into both cardio/strength training?? Just curious what your opinion was on that... Even the Rowing machine maxed out at level 10, things of that nature and not just your basic hop on the treadmill at 7.0 mph on 0 incline for 30 minutes which is what I consider cardio. I do cardio 6 days a week(my cardio is interval training on elliptical or arc trainer, I have bad knee's so running was never and option) and strength train 3 days a week and have went from a BMI of 74 to currently 33.8 (so yes there was fat loss in there) as well as dropping 304 lbs. Would I have benefited from just doing strength training only for fat loss?? or was it wiser to incorporate both cardio and strength training???

May 2009

2009May2.jpg

Feb 2012

2012-01-15120616.jpg
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    [FAT LOSS, FAT LOSS, FAT LOSS. That is the point of the thread. Everyone has their reasons for either doing only cardio (running races), only strength training (body builder) or both (overall fitness). The point of the post was what is better for fat loss.
    Thank Lemon for sharing this info - really helps to get both sides of the information, and make informed decisions
  • FORIANN
    FORIANN Posts: 273 Member
    Options

I would suggest reading the article again. This is in reference to fat loss, not weight. But here is an piece of it.

"At the end of the twelve-week study, both groups lost weight but the difference in muscle vs. fat loss was striking. The aerobic group lost 37 pounds over the course of the study. The resistance-training group lost 32 pounds. A focus on weight loss would lead us to the conclusion that aerobic exercise is best. However, when looking at the type of weight lost it was shown that the aerobic group lost almost 10 pounds of muscle on average while the resistance training group lost fat exclusively and maintained their muscle mass. Most important, when the resting metabolic rate of the participants was calculated, the aerobic group was shown to be burning 210 fewer calories at rest per day!! In contrast, the resistance-training group actually increased their metabolism by 63 calories per day."

Also, bear in mind, excessive cardio or large caloric deficit can lead to muscle loss which will slow your metabolic rate over time. This is why if you stop running you can gain a lot of weight back. Also keep in mind, after strength training, your body is still burning calories and working to repair your muscles, all of which take energy and burn calories.
    Below is a quote from an exchange that I had with a friend last week regarding this matter. He's a bio chemist that works for a supplement company and LOVES lifting weights. I don't know how the idea that you can use up all your muscle on the treademill has gained so much traction.

"
    The cannibalizing muscle thing is a myth... Let me share a fact.. the body cannibalizes the muscle when it runs out of fuel and Body fat. If your body fat is more than 8% you need not worry. Secondly, even when the body starts to feed on its muscle it takes many hours and even upto a day before the body starts eating the muscle.. This is the Truth and this is medical science. The idea of your body eating its own muscle while you are on the treadmill is myth and no scientist will ever agree with it. If you are having a good post workout meal... you are all set. Consuming a pre workout meal will give you better performance at your workout i.e you will be able to lift more weight or run longer... as a result you can bring more muscle fibre at work and make more gains... However, running empty stomach will "Never" burn muscle, till the time you take a god post workout meal.

So enjoy the workout and don't worry about what unqualified gym rookies would say

"
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Conditioner is better, it leaves the hair silky and smooth!

billy-madison.jpg

LOL!!!! "Stop looking at me swan!"
  • psuLemon
    Options

Below is a quote from an exchange that I had with a friend last week regarding this matter. He's a bio chemist that works for a supplement company and LOVES lifting weights. I don't know how the idea that you can use up all your muscle on the treademill has gained so much traction.

"
    The cannibalizing muscle thing is a myth... Let me share a fact.. the body cannibalizes the muscle when it runs out of fuel and Body fat. If your body fat is more than 8% you need not worry. Secondly, even when the body starts to feed on its muscle it takes many hours and even upto a day before the body starts eating the muscle.. This is the Truth and this is medical science. The idea of your body eating its own muscle while you are on the treadmill is myth and no scientist will ever agree with it. If you are having a good post workout meal... you are all set. Consuming a pre workout meal will give you better performance at your workout i.e you will be able to lift more weight or run longer... as a result you can bring more muscle fibre at work and make more gains... However, running empty stomach will "Never" burn muscle, till the time you take a god post workout meal.

So enjoy the workout and don't worry about what unqualified gym rookies would say

"

So even if your body doesn't cannibalize lean body mass over time, whats the explanation for loss of lean muscle mass over time?
  • watboy
    watboy Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    SO who wants to do this experiment on their own? That way you can share your experiences. How long would someone have to do it for it to be able to speak on it?
  • psuLemon
    Options
    SO who wants to do this experiment on their own? That way you can share your experiences. How long would someone have to do it for it to be able to speak on it?

It's already been done. I use this method with almost everyone I deal with where it's a mix of ST and HIIT/cardio and some yoga. But the largest concentration on ST. Below is a response I got from one of the ladies I was working with. She used to eat 1200-1400 calories and do cardio. Now she does 2100 calories on exercise days and 1800 on non and she is 36. Using this method, she gained 5 lbs of lean muscle mass and cut 4% body fat and 2 months.

This is also what I am doing for myself. I just started a routine 2 weeks ago so I can update progress we go.

"I just wanted to thank you for your help. You helped me a few months back and I just wanted to give you an update on my progress. 12 weeks ago I started at 154 and 28% bf. I got my bf remeasured last Friday and it was 24%. But I only lost 1 pound. It is crazy to me but I have learned to ignore the scale. You were right that keeping consistent and not giving up my body would finally adjust.

Thanks again for your help!

Stephanie"
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Options
    lemon does it again! Great post
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Conditioner is better, it leaves the hair silky and smooth!

billy-madison.jpg

LOL!!!! "Stop looking at me swan!"

LOL Perfect
  • JohnnysJune
    Options
    Great read! I use a combo of cardio and strength training.
  • irridia
    irridia Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    What do extreme long distance runners look like? paula_radcliffe_dos.jpg

BARRIOS.jpg

Twitter+graphic.jpg

I found others, that were more muscular, but I would guess that genetics, diet and strength training is what kept them from looking like the others. I don't know that breaking up the hours they run more like the average person does in a session would replicate the results, but it does seem like over time it could.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    What do extreme long distance runners look like? paula_radcliffe_dos.jpg

BARRIOS.jpg

Twitter+graphic.jpg

I found others, that were more muscular, but I would guess that genetics, diet and strength training is what kept them from looking like the others. I don't know that breaking up the hours they run more like the average person does in a session would replicate the results, but it does seem like over time it could.

yes, but since these are professionals, do a comparison against other professional athletes (ice hockey, football, rugby, etc..) and you will see a world of difference in terms of amounts of muscle.
  • imustbegood
    imustbegood Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • 70davis
    70davis Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    bump