Why Strength Training is better

Replies

• Anelda
    Anelda Posts: 99 Member
    This isn't an "I'm right, you're wrong" post. This is a post that merely states strength training is superior for FAT loss. If people actually read the article, the article states that aerobic training is superior for WEIGHT loss but WEIGHT loss =/= FAT loss. The article also has sources from very reputable journals.

Maybe the topic should be titled: "Why Strength Training is better for Fat Loss"

And please, someone find me an article from a reputable journal that states that ONLY pure steady state aerobic exercises maintain muscle mass so that it can refute the past 20 years of exercise research.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Why does it seem that these posts are always an either/or situation? Here's an idea - do both. Both strength training and cardio have things going for them. So, don't just lift weights and don't just run.

Yeah, that's really the key to health. Aerobic exercise reduces your risk of cancer, heart disease, vascular disease, diabetes and other diseases. I do aerobic, strength, balance and stretching because I don't believe any one is "better" than the others. Unless your only concern is BF%, all are important.
  • watboy
    watboy Posts: 380 Member
    I have been a cardio "lover" for years and I love it. I lost most of my weight and been keeping it off. I love my cardio. However I always do cardio and weight training. Psulemon in your opion do you think it would be better for me to cut way back on cardio and concentrate mostly on weight lifting? I only have a few lbs I want to lose to get to my "ideal" weight. And I want to concentrare on fat loss rather than weightloss although they might go hand in hand. I'd like to maintain my size not get any smaller. Not sure how possible that might be for me.

This is for all the cardio lovers out there that feel it's the best way to lose weight.

"Weight loss does NOT equal fat loss. You may be burning calories or losing weight, but that weight and those calories may or may not be coming from fat. If you follow the standard low-calorie-aerobic-exercise-model, you are likely burning muscle not fat. And a loss of muscle means a less efficient metabolism. This is the missing link when personal trainers and fitness enthusiasts embark on helping others and themselves create new bodies.

When personal trainers or exercise enthusiasts focus on weight loss, they are doing a grave disservice to their clients and/or themselves. It has been known for quite sometime that the low calorie aerobic exercise model creates a much less efficient metabolism in the long run. A study published in the Journal of the American College of Nutrition in April 1999 showed just how damaging the weight loss model can be on metabolic efficiency. This study looked at a group of obese individuals who were put on a very low calorie diet and assigned to one of two exercise regimes. One group did aerobic exercise (walking, biking, or jogging four times per week) while the second group did resistance training three times per week and no aerobic exercise.

At the end of the twelve-week study, both groups lost weight but the difference in muscle vs. fat loss was striking. The aerobic group lost 37 pounds over the course of the study. The resistance-training group lost 32 pounds. A focus on weight loss would lead us to the conclusion that aerobic exercise is best. However, when looking at the type of weight lost it was shown that the aerobic group lost almost 10 pounds of muscle on average while the resistance training group lost fat exclusively and maintained their muscle mass. Most important, when the resting metabolic rate of the participants was calculated, the aerobic group was shown to be burning 210 fewer calories at rest per day!! In contrast, the resistance-training group actually increased their metabolism by 63 calories per day.

http://www.metaboliceffect.com/topic/38-nutrition-lifestyle.aspx"
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    Why does it seem that these posts are always an either/or situation? Here's an idea - do both. Both strength training and cardio have things going for them. So, don't just lift weights and don't just run.
    I do days of lifting, days of running and days where I do running mixed in with other things like pushups, situps, lunges and crunches.

I completely agree with this. It's very reasonable to get 4 days of cardio plus 3 days of weight training in. It doesn't mean that you have to spend 7 days a week at the gym either: it's ok to do both in one day (and my bet is that most of my MFP pals can do it). Before I was lucky enough to live right next to my gym (making it easy to pop over multiple times per day), I'd do what I called the "Gym Rat Trifecta": one hour cycling class, one hour weight lifting class, one hour yoga, all in a row. Shavasana has never felt so good!

While we're on the yoga subject, why don't more posts include it as part of a healthy, well rounded weight loss (or maintenance) program?
    Consider this when combining cardio and strength training. Your body can end up fighting for resource which MAY prevent your body from seeing the most benefits from both exercises.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/504130-why-i-m-not-for-cardio-and-resistance-concurrently
  • psuLemon
    I have been a cardio "lover" for years and I love it. I lost most of my weight and been keeping it off. I love my cardio. However I always do cardio and weight training. Psulemon in your opion do you think it would be better for me to cut way back on cardio and concentrate mostly on weight lifting? I only have a few lbs I want to lose to get to my "ideal" weight. And I want to concentrare on fat loss rather than weightloss although they might go hand in hand. I'd like to maintain my size not get any smaller. Not sure how possible that might be for me.

This is for all the cardio lovers out there that feel it's the best way to lose weight.

"Weight loss does NOT equal fat loss. You may be burning calories or losing weight, but that weight and those calories may or may not be coming from fat. If you follow the standard low-calorie-aerobic-exercise-model, you are likely burning muscle not fat. And a loss of muscle means a less efficient metabolism. This is the missing link when personal trainers and fitness enthusiasts embark on helping others and themselves create new bodies.

When personal trainers or exercise enthusiasts focus on weight loss, they are doing a grave disservice to their clients and/or themselves. It has been known for quite sometime that the low calorie aerobic exercise model creates a much less efficient metabolism in the long run. A study published in the Journal of the American College of Nutrition in April 1999 showed just how damaging the weight loss model can be on metabolic efficiency. This study looked at a group of obese individuals who were put on a very low calorie diet and assigned to one of two exercise regimes. One group did aerobic exercise (walking, biking, or jogging four times per week) while the second group did resistance training three times per week and no aerobic exercise.

At the end of the twelve-week study, both groups lost weight but the difference in muscle vs. fat loss was striking. The aerobic group lost 37 pounds over the course of the study. The resistance-training group lost 32 pounds. A focus on weight loss would lead us to the conclusion that aerobic exercise is best. However, when looking at the type of weight lost it was shown that the aerobic group lost almost 10 pounds of muscle on average while the resistance training group lost fat exclusively and maintained their muscle mass. Most important, when the resting metabolic rate of the participants was calculated, the aerobic group was shown to be burning 210 fewer calories at rest per day!! In contrast, the resistance-training group actually increased their metabolism by 63 calories per day.

http://www.metaboliceffect.com/topic/38-nutrition-lifestyle.aspx"

In terms of cutting fat, then it's better to concentrate on weight training, but that doesnt' mean you can't do cardio. HIIT has shown positive affects on this as well, as demonstrated by the article. Even anaerobic workouts are great.
  • RachelsReboot
    RachelsReboot Posts: 569 Member
    I do days of lifting, days of running and days where I do running mixed in with other things like pushups, situps, lunges and crunches.

That's what I am saying!
  • KC4800
    KC4800 Posts: 140 Member
    Remember that not all the people you see doing cardio are doing it for fat loss. Some are training for distance events and conditioning.

The article is a good one for people who are new to the gym though and want a basic understanding.

Strength training may be better, but its conditional on what you are working out for, what your ultimate goal is.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member

My opinion would be, yes. I do cardio once or twice/week for 15-20 minutes each session (I do bike to and from work 2.4 miles each way). That is it. I strength train 3-4 days/week 30 min/session, and I am in the middle of a cut phase to get from around 10% fat to 8ish%.
  • psuLemon
    Remember that not all the people you see doing cardio are doing it for fat loss. Some are training for distance events and conditioning.

The article is a good one for people who are new to the gym though and want a basic understanding.

Strength training may be better, but its conditional on what you are working out for, what your ultimate goal is.

Yes and this thread is dedicated to fat loss. I understand there is different goals and perspectives and I believe in both. I am merely indicating that for FAT LOSS, weight training is better.

PS- I do P90X2 which includes HIIT, yoga and resistances training.
  • psuLemon

That's what I am saying!

please read the article.
  • psuLemon

Yeah, that's really the key to health. Aerobic exercise reduces your risk of cancer, heart disease, vascular disease, diabetes and other diseases. I do aerobic, strength, balance and stretching because I don't believe any one is "better" than the others. Unless your only concern is BF%, all are important.

I am not talking health or anything but merely fat loss. I am fully award of the benefits of a cardio vascular exercise.
  • watboy
    I have been doing about 45 mins cardio 3 times a week followed by 15 mins weight training. then the other 3 days 45 mins weight training and then 15 mins cardio. Is that counter productive? I mean as far as losign weight it has definitely worked i've also seen muscle development. But I'd like to reduce more fat. Should I do weight training 4 days a week and 2 days cardio?

My opinion would be, yes. I do cardio once or twice/week for 15-20 minutes each session (I do bike to and from work 2.4 miles each way). That is it. I strength train 3-4 days/week 30 min/session, and I am in the middle of a cut phase to get from around 10% fat to 8ish%.
  • watboy
    I have been doing about 45 mins cardio 3 times a week followed by 15 mins weight training. then the other 3 days 45 mins weight training and then 15 mins cardio. Is that counter productive? I mean as far as losign weight it has definitely worked i've also seen muscle development. But I'd like to reduce more fat. Should I do weight training 4 days a week and 2 days cardio? I'm always looking for new ways to work out or new schedules. I at one point was doing and hour cardio and 15 mins weight training and alternating.

• watboy
    I have been doing about 45 mins cardio 3 times a week followed by 15 mins weight training. then the other 3 days 45 mins weight training and then 15 mins cardio. Is that counter productive? I mean as far as losign weight it has definitely worked i've also seen muscle development. But I'd like to reduce more fat. Should I do weight training 4 days a week and 2 days cardio?

[/quote]
  • HorrorChix89
    HorrorChix89 Posts: 1,229 Member
    Here we go again...
  • abigailm83
    abigailm83 Posts: 110
    I would love to print this and take it to our local GNC and not only make their employees read it but hang it in their window so people don't listen to their bs. :smile:

I went in there the other day to get apple cider vinager pills and the girl working tried to convince me that if I wanted to drop weight quicker that I needed to stop lifting and do just cardio. Her reasoning was that I needed to lose the weight before lifting or I would basicly stay the same size and just get stronger. :laugh: I feel sorry for anyone who goes in there looking for good advice.

I think I'll stick with my heavy lifting 3x week and cardio 5x week
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member

[/quote]

For fat loss cardio just lets you eat a little more to have the same deficit, so if you are not training for an event, I would lower your cardio to 2-3 days/week at most, and would suggest that at least one cardio day/week be HIIT, which should only last for 15-20 (excluding warm-up and cool down).

As for strength training aim to hit each muscle group a minimum of once/week and no more than 3 times. I would suggest working on compound moments as the basis for any program. To get an idea of such a program check out Starting Strength, or Stronglifts 5x5. You can tweak these slightly by adding some isolation moves at the end if you like isolation exercises, but the compound moves are enough to hit all muscle groups on their own.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    The more you strength train, the more muscle you keep, the more muscle you keep the more fat you lose, the more fat you lose the less POUNDS you have to lose.

I love running, but I wish I started strength training earlier. My body shape changed while staying about the same weight. I can only imagine the change I would have had if I'd been lifting while I was still losing weight.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Weight loss does NOT equal fat loss. You may be burning calories or losing weight, but that weight and those calories may or may not be coming from fat. If you follow the standard low-calorie-aerobic-exercise-model, you are likely burning muscle not fat. And a loss of muscle means a less efficient metabolism. This is the missing link when personal trainers and fitness enthusiasts embark on helping others and themselves create new bodies.

Agreed, and coming from personal experience I know this first hand. I lost all my baby weight down to 102-105 pounds by cardio and diet alone and I was still flabby, stickly skinny, and not in very good shape. I started training hard, went up to 110 pounds, but lost 3-5% body fat, still fit in the same size 0-3 clothes (albeit some of the shirts are too tight in the shoulders and arms because they are muscular which I prefer). I look better says everyone I know. The scale does not matter!
  • FITnFIRM4LIFE
    FITnFIRM4LIFE Posts: 818 Member
    Good Read!~